Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 12:00 AM

https://gothamist.com/news/video-aft...expect-summons

Quote:
NYPD officers in Chelsea had one question for a cyclist who had just been doored and was lying injured and unresponsive on the pavement: "Sir, were you in the bike lane?"

The brutal footage was captured on Monday afternoon by a cyclist who works in the neighborhood. A Domino's delivery worker is seen pedaling west in the bike lane on West 21st Street. The delivery cyclist then leaves the bike lane, and is struck by a driver opening the door of his van.
Lesson for cyclists: never ride fast if you're in the door zone.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://gothamist.com/news/video-aft...expect-summons

Lesson for cyclists: never ride fast if you're in the door zone.
Sorry, victim blaming doesn't work.
Cars drive and park in the bike lane all the time in NYC, but rarely get ticketed. Then a delivery guy gets doored, and he gets a ticket. Also notice that by the time he's going down, he's in a sharrowed part of the lane, so he is allowed full use of the lane.

I was expecting an e-bike but it looks like a regular hybrid. That parking spot is for commercial vehicles only. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7421...7i16384!8i8192

The cops should have ticketed the driver for illegal parking. One of the reason the bike lane exists is to eliminate cyclists impeding traffic. There is very little traffic in those images.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:21 AM

A lot of the deaths in my town seem to happen with trucks/blind spots. Frankly I don't understand why insurance companies aren't demanding relatively cheap, readily available mirror cameras, and using rates as the stick/carrot. The technology has been available for a long time...and those without it should be paying higher premiums that reflect the risk.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
A lot of the deaths in my town seem to happen with trucks/blind spots. Frankly I don't understand why insurance companies aren't demanding relatively cheap, readily available mirror cameras, and using rates as the stick/carrot. The technology has been available for a long time...and those without it should be paying higher premiums that reflect the risk.
Doesn't mean drivers will use or know how to use them or they will help when a cyclist or ped darts out in front of you. I'm in Brooklyn every day making deliveries in a not so small 10 wheeled 40 foot truck, with a rear camera, passenger side blind spot camera and FOUR mirrors on the passenger side, three on the driver's side and a mirror to see directly in front of the truck. I can see almost everything. And after 24 years doing this job I have never hit a cyclist or anyone else for that matter. Maybe attribute that to experience, luck or whatever. The issue is cabs, cop cars, ride hail/black cars etc. parked in truck loading and unloading spaces and dbl parked in bike lanes. I see near misses easily a dozen times a day, most times it is Uber/Lyft/yellow cabs and NYPD cruisers. And the epidemic of distracted drivers.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 12-02-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Riding Along

This from one of the posted articles sums it up almost everywhere. Sad but true.

“Our City’s unofficial policy for too long has been that no matter how reckless, dangerous and harmful a person’s driving, there will never be consequences and oftentimes the driver will remain on the road,”
Old 11-27-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
Doesn't mean drivers will use or know how to use them or they will help when a cyclist or ped darts out in front of you. I'm in Brooklyn every day making deliveries in this not so small 10 wheeled 40 foot truck, with a rear camera, passenger side blind spot camera and FOUR mirrors on the passenger side, three on the driver's side and a mirror to see directly in front of the truck. I can see almost everything. And after 24 years doing this job I have never hit a cyclist or anyone else for that matter. Maybe attribute that to experience, luck or whatever. The issue is cabs, cop cars, ride hail/black cars etc. parked in truck loading and unloading spaces and dbl parked in bike lanes. I see near misses easily a dozen times a day, most times it is Uber/Lyft/yellow cabs and NYPD cruisers. And the epidemic of distracted drivers.
I’m sorry - I didn’t realize that perfection was the standard for implementing risk management.

The issue in Philadelphia is often trucks turning, and to me, if you don’t have a camera when you know blind spots are an issue, that should constitute negligence.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
I’m sorry - I didn’t realize that perfection was the standard for implementing risk management.

The issue in Philadelphia is often trucks turning, and to me, if you don’t have a camera when you know blind spots are an issue, that should constitute negligence.
No one is perfect, just isn't possible, too many variables. I agree on the negligence, and as you said, to install cameras on even just 10 trucks is not expensive, and insurance discounts nullify the initial cost. I work for a company that obviously invests in equipment and safety, but not all do. Cameras don't help stop a driver who is a menace, whether in a car or truck.