Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 09:49 PM

Paul Mini Moto with Campy levers - Possible?

I’m aware that Paul says their Mini Motos are not to be used with Campy short pull brake levers, but has anyone “pulled” off this combo with sucess?

Thanks in advance with any specific part #’s to order or step-by-step on how to set up.

FYI, this will be F&R.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:57 PM

https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Travel-Agent

ive used these briefly and they worked well
Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 PM

I've run Minimotos with Campy 10 Ergos for about 8 years now. Power is great, modulation was poor (on-off braking) until I swapped the stock salmon thinline pads for cross pads, now it's acceptable.

I haven't had the desire to replace them as the power is top of the line road brake worthy.

P.S. I had no idea Paul warns against using them with Campy. Wonder if that's new.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:58 PM

I didn't like the combination. Pads had to be very close to the rim and modulation was poor. Extremely powerbul brakes, but on-off. Was hard to keep them adjusted so there was no rim rub due to close tolerances.

I never tried it, but I think with travel agents the combo would be fine.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:51 AM

I like mini vs with travel agents. I have small hands and the combo provides lots of power. It doesn't look so great though....
Old 03-22-2023, 05:40 AM
PegoNagos

I tried it and it was terrible. Also, with brakes, there is no acceptable. Braking needs to "work".
Old 03-22-2023, 06:03 AM

I am currently using this combo on a bike . Works pretty good. Lots of power, kind of mushy feeling, pads close to rim, lots of power. I don’t have modulation problems but I guess that is a rider skill / riding style thing.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:53 AM

Mixed bag of results

Thanks to everyone for the input - seems like reactions range from Love it to Hated(past tense)

As context, my first cantilever set up using TRP carbon brakes with correct pads on Smart wheels with last generation of the SR 11 Ergo - braking on rear was acceptable while front was sketchy at best.

Maybe change to Swiss Stop before I purchase the Mini Motos?

I keep reading excellent reviews of the MM as being the “Standard”, but was worried as Paul’s site says good for short pull, but NOT Campy as their pull is even shorter…

Sounds like MM combined with the PS travel agents will produce results that are both acceptable and on par with traditional Road brakes.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:58 AM

They have good resale value, if you buy a used set and don't like them you won't loose much reselling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haho1976 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input - seems like reactions range from Love it to Hated(past tense)

As context, my first cantilever set up using TRP carbon brakes with correct pads on Smart wheels with last generation of the SR 11 Ergo - braking on rear was acceptable while front was sketchy at best.

Maybe change to Swiss Stop before I purchase the Mini Motos?

I keep reading excellent reviews of the MM as being the “Standard”, but was worried as Paul’s site says good for short pull, but NOT Campy as their pull is even shorter…

Sounds like MM combined with the PS travel agents will produce results that are both acceptable and on par with traditional Road brakes.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haho1976 View Post
I’m aware that Paul says their Mini Motos are not to be used with Campy short pull brake levers, but has anyone “pulled” off this combo with sucess?
Wonder where this question came from.

Give me a couple of days (okay, months) and I'll let you know...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-22-2023, 07:23 AM

Not campy, but I've used mini motos with shimano levers. When they lock up, they are real powerful; but no matter how much I've fiddled the pads need to be run really close to the rim and the levers almost touch the bar tape. Now, mini motos with flat bars and appropriate levers... I would take these over most disc brakes any day.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:45 PM

I've been using Mini Motos with Campy 11spd for five years on my gravel bike. They work great. Easy set up and never need any adjustment. Plenty of power, smooth pull, and good modulation. I'm using them on alloy rims.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:06 PM

The Mini Motos work sublimely well with my 2013-era Campy brifters. I must say, though, that the Pauls tend to need adjustment of the spring balance for each side more often than I would like, regardless of what brake lever you hook them up to. Overall, though, they have incredible power and a great feel.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
The Mini Motos work sublimely well with my 2013-era Campy brifters. I must say, though, that the Pauls tend to need adjustment of the spring balance for each side more often than I would like, regardless of what brake lever you hook them up to. Overall, though, they have incredible power and a great feel.
Agree with this. I had a set and swapped them out for TRPs because the minimotos were too finicky.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Agree with this. I had a set and swapped them out for TRPs because the minimotos were too finicky.
I've had the arms shift while out on rides before, without carrying a 15mm wrench...not ideal esp if you have to run pads close to the rim.