Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 08:49 AM

Contemplating adding couplers to a frame I'm commissioning

I'm thinking of having Z-couplers added to a (rim-brake) frame I'm commissioning. However, I specified the initial details without having realized that most U.S.-based airlines have abolished fees for excess-size sporting equipment. Furthermore, it seems that the foreign airlines I'll likely fly abroad either don't charge a fee or charge a rather nominal fee (e.g. on intra-Europe trips by the likes of British Airways, KLM, or Lufthansa).

I've also learned that there are cases such as the Orucase sub-62 (which technically should fit my 53.5 cm ETT frame with a HT + Headset stack of 14.7 cm), and that the slightly larger cases aren't as cumbersome as the full-sized hard-sided travel cases.

So with this all said, I'm trying to juggle the pros and cons of everything.

Pros of couplers: bike fits into smaller case (although not much smaller compared to an Orucase or a Post Transfer); a hedge against when airlines might decide to get grubby again;

Cons of couplers: higher up-front cost; seemingly rendered moot by present baggage regulations

It seems that the weighing of things mainly come down to whether it's worthwhile to pay now to hedge against future potential changes, and that doesn't seem to be a very worthwhile proposition. But perhaps there are other factors I haven't considered?

What has other forumites done in a similar situation?
Old 03-21-2023, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Consider that the S&S case will easily fit in the trunk of most uber small cars and tiny euro cars and a full size case will not, especially when travelling with other people....
Old 03-21-2023, 09:09 AM

Subscribed. Going through similar deliberations myself.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:12 AM

Depends on where you go and how you fly (and how long you think airlines won’t be charging for bikes…)

Southwest still charges for bikes. I fly that for work regularly so I’m getting a midreach rim brake chinese ti coupler bike built to replace a DIY built ritchey breakway frame I built in 2018.

Angry is also correct about s and s cases being easier to travel with than full-size cases. I took an Uber with my case last week and it was great to chuck it in The trunk without a second thought.

Traveling with a non coupled bike is definitely easier in terms of assembly and packing.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:12 AM

I pack up my bike in a Orucase airport ninja, that bag fits in everything. I bring along my Checkpoint 54cm, which fits fine in the bag with the exception of the partially integrated seat mast but it still fits. No issues with Taxis in Paris, Lille, Ireland. Never been charged oversized. Usually free to check with international as you are allowed 2 bags in most cases. Our euro flight from Paris to Dublin charged it as a regular bag, forget the carrier though. Takes me around 20min to pack and 20 min to build, and that's me removing the 6 bolt rotors.

Last edited by CAAD; 03-21-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Consider that the S&S case will easily fit in the trunk of most uber small cars and tiny euro cars and a full size case will not, especially when travelling with other people....
Or my own trunk, for that matter

I decided against getting a $800 hitch and a $600 rack for my sport wagon, and I foresee at least driving up to Montreal for 2026 Worlds from the U.S.

There's space in the wagon, even if we should have strollers and car-seat then, but space saving would probably be highly welcomed.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I concur with Angry and my experience is that it's much, much easier to travel with an S&S case than a full-size one. It definitely takes more time to pack/unpack a couple bike than a regular one, but you can do it a lot faster if you do it regularly.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Randomhead

When I went to France the last time I didn't uncouple my travel bike. But it definitely would have been nice to have an S&S case
Old 03-21-2023, 09:52 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
it's much, much easier to travel with an S&S case than a full-size one.

Well I see my work here is already done...
Old 03-21-2023, 09:53 AM

I am fully on board with the above sentiments about the smaller case versus a larger case. Traveling with a full sized case gets awkward really fast in airports and taxis and trains and busses.

My Serotta CIII was coupled about a decade ago by the experts at Bilenky. At that time, wireless components were the dream of engineers but not a reality. Today that's changed and going to get better.

Mine has cable splitters and S&S couplers and honestly, I can't feel the difference in ride or stiffness from before they were installed. It's a totally analog bike, which has advantages and disadvantages. Let's be honest. It's an antique now!

If I were commissioning a coupled bike today I'd go with a modern groupset, possibly 105 because I think they're semi-wireless or Sram which is fully wireless and I might even go 1X for even greater simplicity.

Chains with a quick link and the appropriate tool have also been a huge game changer for a travel bike. Carry a couple extra quick links..... One lost half of that link could ruin your trip.

The one change I'd make if I did this again is that I'd get the Ritchey soft sided case. My bike fits so snugly (it does fit, but I'm practiced at it) that I really worry about the TSA opening it up, pulling something out and not being able to get it all closed again. The soft sided case is marginally larger and won't likely result in this potential catastrophe because stuff could be jostled around a bit. The hard case I have provides no margin for error at all. None.

I've used this Serotta for several trips, including this epic adventure in August of 2021. I'm hoping to go again in about a month, with a bigger cassette!

Again, if I were commissioning a modern travel bike a wireless groupset is a no-brainer. And a 1x12 or whatever it is would also be in play for the sake of simplicity.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:56 AM
aka RAEKWON

if you can stomach your bike getting dinged and paint scratched then SS case is fine. TSA does not gaf about your bike and they will open it and shove the stuff back. Personally to me a bike is a bike but I know some don't think like that (I was one of yall before so I get it )).

Other cons of SS is weight and looks, even though Z couplers do look nicer and prob weight little.

Personally I would either A- buy a cheaper bike to travel with, or B- buy a post carry bag, you have to remove fork but its so easy and quick, tons more room in the bag but it also folds small for storage and when u get to destination. Fits in trunk of cars no problem (however if you have 2 that would be difficult).
Old 03-21-2023, 10:19 AM

Post Transfer seems like a good alternative

Been on 22 trips in the air with my coupled Curtlo in an S&S hard travel case. It works just fine. I usually fly premium economy so then two bags fly "free." Same with Southwest.

But now I am converting my Creo for travel so considering Post Transfer Case. Time will tell the degree to which airlines do or don't charge for oversized but under 50 pounds or bikes in general.

https://www.google.com/search?q=post...id:vvuYqi0pXp4

Last edited by eddief; 03-21-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:21 AM
formerly Landshark_98

In the middle of first trip (domestic) with Ritchey Swiss Cross and Post Transfer Case (150L). So far very easy. The case, while larger than S&S isn't that much larger nor much more cumbursome to move around. No fees charged on Alaska. Treated as oversized and searched by TSA (my old S&S case was always opened up too). Rented midsize SUV - plenty of room for the case and for the bike fully assembled (there's only 2 of us traveling so that makes it easier). Less disassembly than S&S bike (this is probably more true with big bikes - I always had to pull crankset on my coupled bike). More room for bike in the bag means the inevitable TSA repacking less prone to screwing up and getting everythinb back in the bag properly.

For me there is little, if any advantage to coupled bike over this setup at this point in time. With a smaller bike such as yours, maybe the equation is different, but then you'd also be using the smaller Transfer or Orucase bag with a full size case. Now, I had to choose the right bike to fit the case, and it has some aesthetic compromises (shorthead tube so it fits in case means spacers and positive rise stem, oh well). I also use mech discs and have a cable connect for the rear brake cable so the bars are easier to pack. For shorter trips, no airline connectons, when renting a car, this seems like a decent setup.

Having had a coupled tandem, coupled single, and now this setup, I see no advantage to S&S system if buying new. It's a huge upfront investment and unless you travel A LOT it's hard to see getting good value there (atmo).

I think the closer call is whether to travel with bike or rent. I'm not sure I'll ever lug a bike to Europe again unless I'm traveling direct to bike departure point, someone is handling the box/bag and I'm also returning direct (i.e. no frolic and detours to other Cities etc where I'm dragging the box with me). There's just so many good rental options, with good bikes, even big ones, these days that traveling internationally with a bike, even an S&S one, is less and less attractive.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Vendor

A friend did an S&S retrofit which he said is now moot b/c most airlines stopped charging excess fees. The other issue, according to him, is that the size of the S&S case is designed to fit exactly a road wheel with 700x23 (maybe 25) and he has difficulty fitting wheels with bigger tires.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
A friend did an S&S retrofit which he said is now moot b/c most airlines stopped charging excess fees. The other issue, according to him, is that the size of the S&S case is designed to fit exactly a road wheel with 700x23 (maybe 25) and he has difficulty fitting wheels with bigger tires.
This is true, though to be fair, the tires will be deflated. My bike pictured above has 25mm tires. It fit, though as you noted, with zero room to spare. For this reason I like the Ritchey case better. It's going to provide more flexibility for packing and as also noted, most airlines have gotten less extreme with their sporting goods policies.