Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 01:00 PM

Cheapest Campagnolo Groupset in US?

Need a new group soon. Any tips or tricks for the best place to find a new Campy groupset for delivery in the US?
Old 03-20-2023, 01:23 PM

I've ordered gruppos from this Italian website with success in the past. I recently got a 12s di2 groupset from them. They have some of the cheapest prices I've seen-- and inexpensive and fast delivery via Fedex to the US. Takes about a week to land in Los Angeles. I recommend splitting your order to keep it below $800 to avoid import taxes.

Gamba Cicli
Old 03-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordibeard View Post
I've ordered gruppos from this Italian website with success in the past. I recently got a 12s di2 groupset from them. They have some of the cheapest prices I've seen-- and inexpensive and fast delivery via Fedex to the US. Takes about a week to land in Los Angeles. I recommend splitting your order to keep it below $800 to avoid import taxes.

Gamba Cicli
I've used them too. Beware, you WILL get hit with import duties over $800.

OTOH, I've used Bike24 (ze Germans) for 5 sets of wheels. Their communication is very good. Their shipping takes FOREVER (it's not them. The stuff gets hung in customs at LAX.)! In 5 sets of wheels, I've paid $0 on import duties. I'm not sure on pricing now that the dollar/eruo conversions have shifted.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:20 PM

Velomine has pretty good prices domestically
Old 03-20-2023, 02:32 PM

Pricing differentials for Campy are pretty significant. Can't be just exchange rates. Recently looked and US prices for the Ergopower cable set are typically about double ( at ~$75) what overseas sells for.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:52 PM

I recently got a 12 speed chorus group from www.bike-components.de and zondas from bike24. The former shipping was really fast compared to the latter. Bike-components was about 2 weeks I think, bike24 was more like 6 weeks.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:53 PM

I second Velomine, they are good with warranty issues also.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:55 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Pricing differentials for Campy are pretty significant. Can't be just exchange rates. Recently looked and US prices for the Ergopower cable set are typically about double ( at ~$75) what overseas sells for.
I am convinced Campy actively doesnt want US cyclists to use its stuff. So they say 'We dont want them to buy our stuff, but fine if they are willing to sign over their first born, let em'.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I am convinced Campy actively doesnt want US cyclists to use its stuff. So they say 'We dont want them to buy our stuff, but fine if they are willing to sign over their first born, let em'.
Have you priced ShimaNo Ultegra, or Dura Ace lately?

Old 03-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Administrator

My recent experience from several online purchases is that stuff bought in the UK and shipped with DHL gets to me about twice as fast (or sometimes much better) than domestic vendors using USPS. Probikekit has been excellent lately with the upgraded shipping option. Lightening fast. I am in the NYC metro area which helps, but still. With the sales they run very often, it's hard to even bother shopping campag kit elsewhere.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Idk Chorus is still the cheapest route to a 12 speed groupset without going the sram + ratio route.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:57 PM
Sriracha is delicious

Had good experiences in general with merlin and pbk. Also been decently happy with bike24, though I'll second that they are very slow, and add that their packing is, as the kids say, hot effing trash. Last thing I got from them was a pair of WTOs, and it's truly a wonder that they showed up unblemished when you consider that the box was half destroyed... which wasn't necessarily their fault, but the fact that there was nothing in the box other than the wheels (no packing stuff of any kind) very much was. I ended up with a very nice set of wheels at a sweet price, but if the wheel gods hadn't protected those wheels on their trip, I'd have been dealing with a very annoying situation.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:46 PM

I have had great luck years ago with Texas Cycle Sport.
https://www.texascyclesport.com/grou...ade-kits-road/
Old 03-20-2023, 06:07 PM

Pbk

My experience with PBK, last 2 orders:

Order 1 - they shipped wrong (hole count) hubset. Terrible communication with them.
When discussing returning/refunding they displayed no desire to even consider refunding the taxes and carrier fee that I had to pay… Amazing. Ended up selling the hubset locally.

Order 2 is a real beauty.
I ordered wheelset with Campy FHB. Roughly $1300CA. I then noticed that that option went out of stock and only XDR remained available. I decided to make sure that I bought the last Campy. Messaged them right away and alerted them.
They got back to me saying that it was a mistake indeed, they didn’t have Campy for me and that they would cancel the order!
Yes I am upset, but I am happy that I prevented the worst-case scenario…
What do you think? Next day I see that the order had not been cancelled. I messaged again (right, Chat is never available at PBK, how convenient). They are like “oh, ok, sure, will take a look” – no sense of urgency whatsoever.
Hours later I received notification that the order shipped. Mic drop.
So, PBK had 24 hours to cancel the order they knew was wrong. Their terrible team of 2 clowns there showed their worst and had their employer pay the shipping of a huge carton across the ocean just for me to refuse it and for DHL to ship it back.

While dealing with them I realized how indifferent, irresponsible they were. Zero customer service skills. They simply never cared and didn’t really try to pretend, LOL.
Hey, I even offered a solution that would be much cheaper for PBK – I suggested they partially refund… just to cover the cost of the Campy Freehub body that I would buy elsewhere (we are talking $75CAD here). So they again had a chance to act wisely, to accept my offer and save $$ (freight back and forth, processing, etc) AND, on top of everything, to satisfy the already pissed off customer. Nope. Nope.

Meanwhile. My other wheelset ordered from CRC (chain reaction cycles) arrived with N3W FHB instead of expected “regular” 9-12 campy. One message later, CRC CS apologized and offered me a discount code worth $30 to cover the cost of N3W to Campy adapter. Fair and easy. Yep.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:36 PM

I don’t know what the current prices are in the US, but I have had great customer experience with Velomine. Usually if the groupset is in stock, they ship super fast with FedEx. Also great customer service.