Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2023, 01:53 PM
#RYFB

Helmet fit: Kask Protone vs POC Ventral

TLDR: how similar is the fit between a Kask Protone and a POC Ventral?

I realize this may be fruitless since I know the real answer comes from putting the helmets on your noggin, but little harm in asking: looking for first hand experience from someone who has tried both a POC Ventral and a Kask Protone. I have two POC Ventrals, size L (56-61), which fit me well but one is nearing EOL. I like the look of the Kask Protone and there's currently a good deal on a size M (52-58).

If any of you have used both I'm interested in hearing how the fit differs, and what sizes you have used in each. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:51 PM

Helmets

I’ve had both.
POC is more of a round head fit vs Kask being better for more oval shaped skull.
I couldn’t get comfortable for more than 90 minutes or so with the POC due to knowing shape / fit.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:29 PM
#RYFB

Thanks; curious as I would have guessed the opposite.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thanks; curious as I would have guessed the opposite.
I mentioned this it the good deals section of the classifieds, but i just bought three new helmets on sale, expecting to keep one and return the others. Smith Trace, Kask Protone, and POC ventral-lite. I'm currently using a POC ventral and I like it great, but not in love with my color (navy). I may respond back here or post a new thread when they all arrive in a few days. All helmets purchased in size M for my ~57cm head.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakstone View Post
I’ve had both.
POC is more of a round head fit vs Kask being better for more oval shaped skull.
I couldn’t get comfortable for more than 90 minutes or so with the POC due to knowing shape / fit.
I’ll second this. Really wanted the POCs to work for the color, alas they are as Yakstone describes, very round and don’t work for me since they dig into the back of my head behind my ears. I’ve been wearing nothing but Kask the last 3 years and they work great. All size Medium

That said, I do have a good friend who wears both a Ventral Air and a Protone in Miami so it’s also somewhat head dependent. I’d either try to find a shop with the Kask or order from someone like sponsor BikeTiresDirect who has a solid return policy.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:35 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I mentioned this it the good deals section of the classifieds, but i just bought three new helmets on sale, expecting to keep one and return the others. Smith Trace, Kask Protone, and POC ventral-lite. I'm currently using a POC ventral and I like it great, but not in love with my color (navy). I may respond back here or post a new thread when they all arrive in a few days. All helmets purchased in size M for my ~57cm head.
Thanks.

Indeed it was your Good Deals post that caused me to pose this question. Bike Closet's return policy looks solid, so at the risk of the shipping cost I think I will take a flyer. My head is also ~57 but I always wear a cap. (Mouse hovers over the buy button … EDIT: purchased, will likewise reply later with an update)

Last edited by cgolvin; 03-05-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:47 PM

Glad to hear that post was of use to at least someone.

In that case I'm interested to hear hows yours fits once it arrives, and I'll let you know what I think of the 3 I purchased. I almost always wear a cap as well, but part of that reason is to hopefully prevent a bee or wasp from entering my helmet and getting into my hair and stinging me. Since the Smith Trace has some mesh on the vents, i'm wondering if i may be more open to cap-less riding. Obviously there's the other benefit of keeping sweat out of your face.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:48 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
Obviously there's the other benefit of keeping sweat out of your face.
And, for the less hirsute, not needing to lather your head with sunscreen.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:35 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakstone View Post
I’ve had both.
I have both helmets (Kask Protone and Ventral Air, not the standard Ventral) and alternate often between the two, but have the opposite experience.

The Protone is extremely comfortable on my round head but I feel slight pressure on my temples with the Ventral Air. Both are size large.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:02 AM

I like POC helmets, but honestly, I look like Toad from Mario cart when I wear one.

So I stick with Kask
Old 03-08-2023, 01:33 PM
#RYFB

Update

Just received the M Protone and I can't even get it on my head, so back it goes. Fortunately Bike Closet still has one heavily discounted size L Protone, so despite preferring a more visible color, I'll give that a shot.

Impossible for me to tell whether the misfit to my head is due to size, shape, or both. Will find out with the next one, I suppose.

And yes, POC helmets do look like a mushroom on my head but aesthetics are not at the top of my list for a helmet.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:41 PM

I've received my POC ventral lite which I like, and i think is more low profile than the ventral and ventral air, and fits me in M. Smith trace is ok, but I like the POC better. I'm not sure if I'm 100% convinced MIPS is a necessity. Kask arrives on friday.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:42 PM

I just waved in the Kask wasabi helmet in Motion Blur in a L to replace my Protone. If I can't be fast, I can at least look good.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I like POC helmets, but honestly, I look like Toad from Mario cart when I wear one.

So I stick with Kask
Accepting that I look like a dork in any cycling helmet was the first step to getting a good-fitting lid that is visible and has good coverage.
So I have four POCs.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:53 AM

The Kask will have less room at the ear loop, compared to the POC. Like many modern helmets, both the Kask and POC have fixed (non-adjustable) straps at ear loop, which highly limit fit for many. I had a POC and the fixed ear loops were barely low enuf not to rub bottom of my ear lobe (but just barely). However, when I tried a Kask Protone, the crazy short straps and non-adjustable ear loop didn't even reach bottom of my ear. I even tried sizing up and experienced the same issue.