Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 11:18 AM

I respect F1 racing, prototype cars and the performance of it all, but to me it is often too predictable and the big teams with the most money wins. IMO it was quite boring to watch up until about 10 years ago when things like DRS was instituted to make things more interesting. However, DRS is still a forced manipulation of the racing environment from my perspective.

Since this is a 2 wheel forum, I would have to tip my hat to MotoGP and the upcoming season where real men compete and risk their lives. There is more physical exertion made by the pilots and less room for error. I believe Lewis Hamilton may have said that himself of MotoGP racing since he’s also a fan.

Caveat: I own fast cars, fast motorcycles and fast bikes, but horribly slow on all of them
Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
And it's a ****ty tabloid....
A ****ty phone hacking tabloid, as I recall ...

As a very casual F1 fan, the current situation intrigues me because I want to see what sort of rabbit MB can pull out of its hat, and how soon.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Deconditioned!

As an ex-motorcycle race, MotoGP is always numero uno in my book. I do find F1 racing sorta boring and confusing (seems like qualifying and pit stops are what win the races), BUT I still like it. I'm watching and am amused (which is the point, ya?).

I've got zero issues with RB being as fast as they seem to be. Seems like lots of peeps are happy with MB/Hamilton being in trouble given how dominant they were for so long.

The drama/cut throat nature (as seen on DTS) is pretty entertaining.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:23 AM

love F1 but it appears Red Bull is easily the quickest. Yawn.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
One thing that disappointed me about season 5 of drive to survive is that they skipped over the whole max and Sergio dust up where max thought he crashed intentionally at Monaco to block max from taking a run at the poll and then refused the team order/request to let Sergio pass to get points later on. And it is no coincidence that max is featured in season 5 now. Makes me think that the production isn’t as independent as it used to be.
Max is featured in season 5 because he refused to do interviews with Drive to Survive for the prior 3 years. Ow is their chance. It is fun to watch but it is scripted to create controversy and to capture the American audience.

It is easy to see why drivers complain about made up rivalries and comments used out of context.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2023, 08:57 AM

I am looking forward to seeing Alonso win a race
Old 03-10-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Max is featured in season 5 because he refused to do interviews with Drive to Survive for the prior 3 years. Ow is their chance. It is fun to watch but it is scripted to create controversy and to capture the American audience.

It is easy to see why drivers complain about made up rivalries and comments used out of context.

Jeff
There's some serious editing going on in DTS. They routinely patch scenes together to create a story line. As someone else noted, it's a drama not a documentary. But I've still watched and enjoyed all of it.

Personally the pre and post race shows on race day are often as good as the actual racing.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:59 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
Personally the pre and post race shows on race day are often as good as the actual racing.
IMSA at Sebring may provide similar spice this year, after the Daytona 24 winner was found to be cheating with tire pressures (but allowed to keep the win and the watches)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
Are you referring to the Sky coverage that ESPN carries? The first half of the pre-race show is invariably an off-putting display of sycophancy and Lewis worship. They showed Lewis getting a lie detector test before the most recent race!

Once the pitlane opens - the final 45 minutes of the pre-race - the show improves quite a bit.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
As an ex-motorcycle race, MotoGP is always numero uno in my book. I do find F1 racing sorta boring and confusing (seems like qualifying and pit stops are what win the races), BUT I still like it. I'm watching and am amused (which is the point, ya?).

I've got zero issues with RB being as fast as they seem to be. Seems like lots of peeps are happy with MB/Hamilton being in trouble given how dominant they were for so long.

The drama/cut throat nature (as seen on DTS) is pretty entertaining.
WSBK has gotten more interesting since the Rea got dethroned.

MotoGP looks like its going to suffer similar to F1, with one team being too dominant.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:53 AM
killin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
WSBK has gotten more interesting since the Rea got dethroned.

MotoGP looks like its going to suffer similar to F1, with one team being too dominant.
Since around 1975, F1 has often been dominated by a dynastic team, and it's never been more popular than it is today. Obviously the new interest is driven by DTS, and you can be certain that this too shall pass.

What has always been intriguing about F1 is the nuance, and in that sense it's like bike racing. It's the history of driver and team relationships, the ruthless nature of securing and retaining a seat (either by ability or funding), teams spooling up from one bad year to a hopeful tomorrow, the glory of a (relatively) small team like Williams scoring points and being over the moon about it. There are 20 teams and nearly 200 riders in the TdF, but only a handful of actual potential winners. Same with F1.

All of these things have existed in F1 prior to Red Bull and DTS.

Personally I root against RBR simply because of the blanket that the RB brand casts over our sporting landscape: airplane racing, individual sponsored athletes in the pro peloton, some dude jumping off a hot air balloon from space... enough already. I'll always support McLaren and Williams as long as they continue to compete. Ferrari... not so much LOL.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:21 PM

Given how relatively easy is for a good driver to win races provided they get the best car — the opposite is absolutely not true, no matter how good the driver is — I always wondered why aren’t the technical directors/engineers making the tens of millions that most drivers make. I think they are the ones deciding the winners
Old 03-14-2023, 06:36 PM

I suspect that Adrian Newey is quite well compensated.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:37 PM

Max may be an a**, but he is the best driver easily imo.
The more equal the cars, the more fun the racing.
Mercedes arrogance messed that one up this - and last year though.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I suspect that Adrian Newey is quite well compensated.
If the internet info is true, he makes a tenth or so, of what the driver makes.