Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2023, 07:44 AM

Just read that lance stroll is driving! Seems a little crazy/dangerous given he fractured both his wrists.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
I did a search to see if this had been discussed recently and as best I can tell the last time F1 was discussed was in 2018???!!! Maybe I am missing something but I found that shocking. Started watching Drive to Survive last year and got pretty hooked in - just binged the entire season 5 although it was a pretty boring race season. Hopefully Ferrari can avoid the mistakes of last year and hold Red Bull's feet to the fire. Would love to see Mercedes be competitive again of course and maybe Alonso can mix it up with the Aston Martin....

I just think the technology and symphony of machinery is so cool to watch. Anyway, just wanted to get a thread going as the new season is nearly upon us.
Interesting and the money involved is just astounding. Not sure how the smaller teams that are always at the bottom of the standings can still get the sponsorship $ to make a go of it..like Haas...
Quote:
Engines must utilize 100% sustainable fuel.

FIA is encouraging teams to experiment with different fuels to find the best one for the sport. Many sustainable fuels, such as solar, wind, nuclear, or even hydrogen, could be used.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Interesting and the money involved is just astounding. Not sure how the smaller teams that are always at the bottom of the standings can still get the sponsorship $ to make a go of it..like Haas...

The money they get from Formula 1 helps.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Starting with the '22 season top teams had their budgets wacked.

TV exposure is very important. Many times smaller teams in tight battles will have more exposure. I'm sure Netflix also helps......Gunther Steiner and Haas for example.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

TV exposure is very important. Many times smaller teams in tight battles will have more exposure. I'm sure Netflix also helps......Gunther Steiner and Haas for example.
It was 2021, actually when the cost cap came in. Recall that the penalties that Red Bull faced were for violations of the 2021 cost cap rules.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:06 PM

You are correct. 2021. Mercedes did say that if they ignored the cost cap they could have stayed ahead of Red Bull.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

And w/o knowing much about the intricacies of F1...I'll bet there are more than a few 'under the table' $ deals going on..
Just like MLB, FIFA soccer, NFL, NBA, putnameofbig$sporthere.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:43 AM
PegoNagos

I am super excited for the season. Currently watching the live coverage of Practice 1 at the Bahrain GP!

The cheapest way to watch F1 coverage (live or delayed) is at f1tv.formula1.com
Old 03-03-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
And w/o knowing much about the intricacies of F1...I'll bet there are more than a few 'under the table' $ deals going on..
Just like MLB, FIFA soccer, NFL, NBA, putnameofbig$sporthere.
I think there's probably less of this today than there might have been in the past. I think the risk of reputational damage that teams might cause sponsors associated with them is too great for them to chance it.

And look at the view that took hold regarding RB that they only dominated because they cheated on the cost cap. That talk has definitely died down but there is still an undercurrent of that with Toto Wolfe saying recently that Merc could have won if they didn't adhere to the cost cap as per the rules.

With the added bragging rights under this cost cap era of simply being better than your competition with the same resources, I don't think the incentive is there to cheat on that. Teams can earn all the revenues they wish through sponsorship, but they simply can't spend anything more than the cost cap allows.

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 03-03-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I think there's probably less of this today than there might have been in the past. I think the risk of reputational damage that teams might cause sponsors associated with them is too great for them to chance it.

Look at the view that took hold regarding RB that they only dominated because they cheated on the cost cap. That talk has definitely died down but there is still an undercurrent of that with Toto Wolfe saying recently that Merc could have won if they didn't adhere to the cost cap as per the rules.

With the added bragging rights under this cost cap era of simply being better than your competition with the same resources, I don't think the incentive is there to cheat on that. Teams can earn all the revenues they wish through sponsorship, but they simply can't spend anything more than the cost cap allows.
10-4..like I said, I'm not very well versed on the ins and outs of F1 racing. BUT..I get that Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston Martin, McClaren, even Alfa Romero..'car' companies..but one of the most successful is a energy drink company...Even with any $ cap, BIG $...I mean, recognizing that RedBull is really a marketing company that makes a 'crappy' energy drink...does doing well in F1 really sell RedBull? Dunno.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
10-4..like I said, I'm not very well versed on the ins and outs of F1 racing. BUT..I get that Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston Martin, McClaren, even Alfa Romero..'car' companies..but one of the most successful is a energy drink company...Even with any $ cap, BIG $...I mean, recognizing that RedBull is really a marketing company that makes a 'crappy' energy drink...does doing well in F1 really sell RedBull? Dunno.
Red Bull must think it does - or they simply enjoy it. They do get huge exposure from it.

Red Bull generates a few billion in profit each year and spending a little on an F1 team is almost a rounding error for them. With the cost cap in effect and the amount of sponsorship funds they get, Red Bull might only be spending $50 million per year on their team. And Mercedes is in a similar position, getting a huge return for very little actual spend.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpritchet74 View Post
I am super excited for the season. Currently watching the live coverage of Practice 1 at the Bahrain GP!

The cheapest way to watch F1 coverage (live or delayed) is at f1tv.formula1.com

This is written like a spammer post, and I will guarantee this https://www.vipbox.lc is a whole bunch less expensive than where you suggested.
Has your account been compromised?

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-03-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Deconditioned!

Or just use youtube tv. We switched to this and I find it the best. Login/watch from anywhere.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:29 PM

"Yes! Bye Bye!"
Happy for Fernando, even if he benefitted from some good luck
Old 03-05-2023, 05:57 PM

Yeah good race. Enjoyed the Ham/Alonso scrap. Was hoping for more from Haas and good lord RB is faaaast.