Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2023, 01:59 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
How many more years will it be before Red Bull is fielding a Max & Lando line up?
With 3 races in the US I wonder if that seat will go to an American driver when Checo is done.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
With 3 races in the US I wonder if that seat will go to an American driver when Checo is done.
Maybe, but they're going to have to earn it with more than their nationality, though.

Red Bull doesn't have a history of indulging underperforming drivers since they became a team that could compete for the Constructors Championship.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:39 PM

One thing that disappointed me about season 5 of drive to survive is that they skipped over the whole max and Sergio dust up where max thought he crashed intentionally at Monaco to block max from taking a run at the poll and then refused the team order/request to let Sergio pass to get points later on. And it is no coincidence that max is featured in season 5 now. Makes me think that the production isn’t as independent as it used to be.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:20 PM

I "enjoy" F1 but the season is a bit long. Indycar is more fun to watch, but there is the fact that its a spec series with a chassis that is eligible for vintage racing. Thought Penske would save it, but he's too old to think about more than status quo.
F1 racing is too artificial with DRS. I get that there would be zero passing without it, but its kind of a joke, no?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
One thing that disappointed me about season 5 of drive to survive is that they skipped over the whole max and Sergio dust up where max thought he crashed intentionally at Monaco to block max from taking a run at the poll and then refused the team order/request to let Sergio pass to get points later on. And it is no coincidence that max is featured in season 5 now. Makes me think that the production isn’t as independent as it used to be.
And what about Ferrari at Monaco. Oh my.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Maybe, but they're going to have to earn it with more than their nationality, though.

Red Bull doesn't have a history of indulging underperforming drivers since they became a team that could compete for the Constructors Championship.
I agree that Red Bull won't allow anyone to underperform, but don't forget that Ford is going to be their engine supplier starting in 2026, so there is strong motivation to find an American driver.

I'm pulling for Alonso. He's a curmudgeon like me and like Bottas, he's a cyclist. Remember he tried to buy the Euskatel team, but ultimately gave up saying that the process "isn't easy or cheap". Interesting as this article says that he would have had UAE sponsorship, but they ultimately went to Lampre.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...failure-454733
Old 02-28-2023, 09:06 PM

Looking forward to F1 for sure. Watching Drive To Survive now. I am shocked how much of a total A-hole Christian Horner is and has proven to be since DTS started. The arrogance, feeling of self importance of him and the RedBull team is amazing. They have become my least favorite team. Perfect place for Max and his poor attitude. Horner continually says that other teams knives are out for him/Red Bull because they are winning, no Christian the knives are out because of your attitude
Checo admitted to crashing in Monaco on purpose so there was some genuine animosity there and wish DTS would have gone into it.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:58 PM

Hard to say if pre-season testing is really indicative of race weekend performance but it seemed to me that Aston Martin, Haas, Alpha Romeo, and Williams all looked more competitive than at the end of last season. I would guess that not more than 5 or 6 races have been won by teams other than Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull in the last ten years. For me the only thing that would increase my interest in F1 is if more teams emerge with a chance at winning. I have followed F1 for fifty years but I haven't been exited about it in decades.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I "enjoy" F1 but the season is a bit long. Indycar is more fun to watch, but there is the fact that its a spec series with a chassis that is eligible for vintage racing. Thought Penske would save it, but he's too old to think about more than status quo.
F1 racing is too artificial with DRS. I get that there would be zero passing without it, but its kind of a joke, no?
I agree. Indycar racing is far more entertaining to watch. I've been watching F1 for almost forty years and the racing's rarely been scintillating.
Indycars actually pass each other and it's not due to an artifice like DRS. I wish that F1 would get rid of the carbon brakes and go back to steel. That would lengthen the braking zones and give those with greater feel more opportunity to pass.

That said, F1 has always been about more than just what happens on track. What goes down off the track - the business and the intrigue - is almost more entertaining.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
I agree that Red Bull won't allow anyone to underperform, but don't forget that Ford is going to be their engine supplier starting in 2026, so there is strong motivation to find an American driver.
Could be. Keep in mind, though, that Red Bull never fielded a French driver when they were using Renault engines.

They only ever fielded one French driver, Pierre Gasly, in 2019 after they'd moved to Honda power. And you'll recall that he didn't last the season before being demoted back to Toro Rosso.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:04 AM
le baroudeur

I haven't been excited about F1 since Reuttemann, Jones and Piquet retired. But I am curious to see if the big 3 make it more interesting this year.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
I'm pulling for Alonso. He's a curmudgeon like me and like Bottas, he's a cyclist.
Most if not all F1 drivers are cyclists. Lance Stroll will likely miss the first race as he broke both wrists when he crashed while cycling 2 weeks ago.

Will Vettel drive this weekend?
Old 03-01-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Most if not all F1 drivers are cyclists. Lance Stroll will likely miss the first race as he broke both wrists when he crashed while cycling 2 weeks ago.

It'll likely be Drugovich. I cannot see why Vettel would come back for a race or two. He very publicly retired at the end of last season and if he wanted to do more F1, he'd be on the grid full time this year.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

I thought the hypocrite retired?
Old 03-01-2023, 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=zap;3219500]Most if not all F1 drivers are cyclists. Lance Stroll will likely miss the first race as he broke both wrists when he crashed while cycling 2 weeks ago.

Will Vettel drive this weekend?[/QUOTEI

I didn't read Stroll's accident report. I assumed that it was more typical bike crash injuries like broken collar bone or mild concussion. Two broken wrists sound like it will take a while.