Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 06:46 AM

Thanks, Lavi. Excellent review!!
Old 01-19-2023, 08:47 AM

My wife wanted to come back to Portland this summer, but we changed our minds. Seeing all of these Pegs is making me think we need to come for a visit just so I can beg one of you to let me ride one.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:51 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
My wife wanted to come back to Portland this summer, but we changed our minds. Seeing all of these Pegs is making me think we need to come for a visit just so I can beg one of you to let me ride one.
You should def come visit in summer. Nothing finer than an Oregon summer ride.

No begging required. You're welcome to ride whatever.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:44 AM

Bumping this great read on a sleepless night.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post

Agreed, this thread definitely was a major influence in me getting a Mxxxxxo and I'm not regretting that decision one bit. I rode it Saturday and will jump on it here in a couple hours for a quick lunch spin - it continues to amaze me with it's perfect ratio of compliance and solidity along with amazing, confidence-inspiring handling. My Saturday jaunt had me once again wondering "should I just sell the carbon bikes and grab a disc respo?" I got a set of Vision SC55s on the cheap during the MBS going out of biz sale and am really looking forward to trying those out on the Mxxxxxo on a fast group ride.

Hmmm then again maybe just copy Lavi and go Mxxxxxo - BLE instead of respo??? BLE for the fast days to replace the caron superbikes???
Old 03-20-2023, 12:08 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post

Yo! Thanks. I've been thinking about adding to this now that I've had more time on both bikes. It ain't summer yet. So my rides haven't been more than about 2-2.5 hours. I don't know if a 4-5 romp would change anything I'm thinking.

I have been able to continue riding these two bikes, getting to know them more and more.

My assessment of of these two bikes has not changed.

So to me, being the OP: what do I think of the Mxxxxxo and Love #3? Or, how would I compare them? Or, which would I choose if I could only have one? I'd choose the Love, but GFL getting me to let loose of the Mxxxxxo.

Last edited by lavi; 03-20-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:10 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
Hmmm then again maybe just copy Lavi and go Mxxxxxo - BLE instead of respo??? BLE for the fast days to replace the caron superbikes???
Crazy right?....that we'd choose these metal bikes over carbon racers?!? What is the world coming to.

Though, I just complicated my situation by adding the RM3 to the mix. It's going to be a fun Spring/Summer of riding!

Edit: I want to try a BLE too. However, enough is enough! Lol. Famous last words.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:11 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Crazy right?....that we'd choose these metal bikes over carbon racers?!?

Edit: I want to try a BLE too. However, enough is enough! Lol. Famous last words.
just happen to know someone with a large BLE....
Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 PM

Steel bike ride

Thanks for sharing the detailed comparison. I've only ridden carbon and tempted to get a steel bike to try this "steel ride" feeling but not sure I wanted to put that much money into it yet. I tried to get a used JKS but missed out. I'll have to keep looking.

For those with more experience riding steel, do your Pegorettis ride notably different than "lesser" steel bikes--something not custom (SOMA? All-City?)
Old 03-20-2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
Thanks for sharing the detailed comparison. I've only ridden carbon and tempted to get a steel bike to try this "steel ride" feeling but not sure I wanted to put that much money into it yet. I tried to get a used JKS but missed out. I'll have to keep looking.

For those with more experience riding steel, do your Pegorettis ride notably different than "lesser" steel bikes--something not custom (SOMA? All-City?)
Don't want to come off sounding too snarky, but I would find it very difficult to believe someone would pay 4-11x the price for a fancy paintjob and a nameplate. I own a Serotta, and some more more mid-level steel frames. My quick answer to you is "yes, there is a major difference."

My more nuanced answer is that getting just any bike by any of a long list of makers, does not mean you have the right bike under you. In some scenarios, maybe the geometry and tubing of a Soma or All-City model may be more suitable than a random Peg, Kirk, Sachs, et al., because the bike might have been built for someone with much different needs. Now, reverse the scenario-- wherein you are going to Mr. Kirk, the Bottega, or Mr. Sachs- and you give them all the information about you (fit challenges, ride quality aims, etc), and the off-the-peg bike is random. Would put money on the fact that you felt you got your money's worth.

Last edited by carlucci1106; 03-20-2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:40 AM

For the OP - or those with Pegs - am I right in thinking that the published stack dimension doesn't include the Chris King headset, and that you effectively need to add ~15mm to the number on the chart (i.e. the actual vertical difference of an 18mm top bearing)?
Old 03-21-2023, 01:34 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
For the OP - or those with Pegs - am I right in thinking that the published stack dimension doesn't include the Chris King headset, and that you effectively need to add ~15mm to the number on the chart (i.e. the actual vertical difference of an 18mm top bearing)?

Good question. Sorry. Idk.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:52 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
My Saturday jaunt had me once again wondering "should I just sell the carbon bikes and grab a disc respo?"
I'm not here to re-stoke the rim vs disc debate, but to me a Peg should have rim brakes. It's not only an aesthetic preference -- I'm a pretty fast descender and never once have I felt under-braked on my Duende.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
No, I'm sure it does not include the headset. Just the frame.

But since the newer Pegs can only use a King D11 headset, they might as well include the headset. For other frames, stack w/headset could vary depending on which headset was used.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'm not here to re-stoke the rim vs disc debate, but to me a Peg should have rim brakes. It's not only an aesthetic preference -- I'm a pretty fast descender and never once have I felt under-braked on my Duende.
Much as I agree in principle, if I could get a disc Love, I'd get one in a heartbeat because I could swap my Record disc groupset and Boras over in an afternoon, rather than having to buy/sell groupsets and wheels.