Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2022, 07:58 AM

Paceline 2023 Weight Lost Challenge

Want to give this another go since I went backward last year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=89325735
Old 12-30-2022, 10:32 AM

I'm in. My knee is probably as healthy as it will get, and I want to get back into K1/C1 by the summer.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:49 AM

Gained weight during lockdown year when I was mastering the sourdough and Mexican rice. I have only been doing commute riding. Time to get back on the saddle.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybanana86 View Post
Gained weight during lockdown year when I was mastering the sourdough and Mexican rice. I have only been doing commute riding. Time to get back on the saddle.
You stole my response!!! I couldve written that...
Old 12-30-2022, 12:44 PM

I'm interested in this. Tried to get back on track this year and with no accountability (ride MTB alone most of the time) and the withering heat in CenTex this summer never really got going.

How does this spreadsheet work? Is the attachment in the OP's post just an example or do we use that (I saw it had 2023 dates) add our name and weight as we go throughout the year?
Old 12-30-2022, 03:22 PM

Slid backwards the past few months- everything is a cycle i guess.

I'm in.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's journey to the New Years weight loss related goals on this thread.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
You stole my response!!! I couldve written that...
We can do it we can do it!
Old 12-30-2022, 04:20 PM
Rockstruck

I need a plan. Is it even possible?--60yo, 5'10 190#, easily >20 than ideal, and -10 would be huge. Former middling multisport athlete. Been stable weight for 5+ years; stress eater, sugar fiend, modest alcohol, yada yada. The more I ride the more I eat. Weights? A personal trainer? Liposuction?

(Kidding on that last one.)
Old 12-30-2022, 04:33 PM

Yeah I just started doing some more supplemental exercise to aid in weight loss. Been riding fixed gear but got a road bike to challenge my muscles in a different way. Trying to drink more water as well.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I need a plan. Is it even possible?--60yo, 5'10 190#, easily >20 than ideal, and -10 would be huge. Former middling multisport athlete. Been stable weight for 5+ years; stress eater, sugar fiend, modest alcohol, yada yada. The more I ride the more I eat. Weights? A personal trainer? Liposuction?

(Kidding on that last one.)
Really great post. I won’t play the “heel” again in this thread (or I’ll try not to).

Speaking from personal experience as a personal trainer, hiring one will probably not result in weight loss.* That may seem tantamount to career suicide, but it’s the truth. Hiring a good personal trainer will most likely make you fitter and healthier.

To another point you raised: an often overlooked factor is not what you eat by why you eat. Stress eating is a huge issue. Unfortunately, most people don’t ameliorate the stress with broccoli and kale.

Last comment: try to disentangle cycling from weight loss. There are a myriad of health benefits to cycling that don’t show up on the scale. The goal for someone in middle-age should be to set a template for a healthy, functionally fit life.

*there is an obvious distinction between muscle and fat when we’re talking about weight loss.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-30-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:45 PM

I'm game. Like others, I've been backsliding a bit the past few months. Might have something to do with reduced mileage this fall.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
I'm interested in this. Tried to get back on track this year and with no accountability (ride MTB alone most of the time) and the withering heat in CenTex this summer never really got going.

How does this spreadsheet work? Is the attachment in the OP's post just an example or do we use that (I saw it had 2023 dates) add our name and weight as we go throughout the year?
You just need to add your name to a column and start tracking your weight. Nothing fancy but a little self-accountability with peer encouragement (or pressure.)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:11 PM

Weight

I am in. Lost 35 last year with this challenge readying for Mt. Washington where I ended up faster at 67 than I was in my 50s. Loss of weight helps.
But life happens. Took a bad step, rolled ankle and fractured a bone. 6 weeks in a boot with my ice cream must have healing properties diet. 4 days out of boot and I partially tear Achilles. 6 more weeks in boot. 25 percent of the year in a boot. No exercise. No discipline. No motivation. I fear getting on scale. I will put in my starting weight when I get rid of boot in 1-2 weeks. Gonna be a slog. Once I can get on indoor bike I should be ok to get in change of diet and exercise.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
I am in. Lost 35 last year with this challenge readying for Mt. Washington where I ended up faster at 67 than I was in my 50s. Loss of weight helps.
But life happens. Took a bad step, rolled ankle and fractured a bone. 6 weeks in a boot with my ice cream must have healing properties diet. 4 days out of boot and I partially tear Achilles. 6 more weeks in boot. 25 percent of the year in a boot. No exercise. No discipline. No motivation. I fear getting on scale. I will put in my starting weight when I get rid of boot in 1-2 weeks. Gonna be a slog. Once I can get on indoor bike I should be ok to get in change of diet and exercise.
You got this. If you were able to do it last year you will be able to do it again.

I know all about ice cream, and chips...
Old 12-30-2022, 07:49 PM
Back At It!

My goal is to be no more than 200# when I retire this summer (around 215-220 now).. gotta look good in the uniform.. where I go from there is just buttah for me..

In!

Last edited by fourflys; 12-30-2022 at 07:54 PM.