Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 05:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

the posts are pretty stout, not at all like a duffer I am sorry. Everything has PLENTY of padding and its thick strong padding. Wheels are also padded. Of course always smart to put some pipe insolation around the frame and fork tubes but its a great bag
Old 03-21-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
You are going to pay through the nose if you ship. Looks like at least $250 each way.

Best way of doing this is to get a collapsible shipping case (I think Post Carry is such a case?). Sounds like you are already thinking of backpacking. In which case, not drastically different to lug an additional 10 lbs on the rack.
$250 each way would probably be worth it to me. I tend to stress over details, and have learned that sometimes I just need to pay dollars/euros/pesos/whatever in order to avoid the stress and have a more enjoyable trip.

I've been backpacking for years, so that's not new. Bikepacking, however, will be new. I hope to do a few small test runs this year, 2-5 nights.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
When my wife and I did a traditional loaded bike tour of Norway a few years ago ( none of this new- fangled hipster bikepacking for us almost codgers) we packed our bikes in a disposable bike box. I put the bikes together in the basement of our Airbnb in Tromso on arrival. We called ahead to a bike shop in Trondheim at the end of the trip. They saved us a couple of boxes and let me use a work stand to repack the bikes. The friendly SAS woman didn’t even charge us the extra baggage fee for our bikes.

David
Cool. There are always good people who are willing to help. It's just a matter of finding them (and avoiding the ripoff artists).
Old 03-21-2023, 05:53 PM
Administrator

The thing is, if you're getting the frame built anyway, the addition of couplers is a reasonably small incremental cost. I happen to like the industrial look of the couplers, so really there is no down side to me. You can always not break it apart and travel with it in a full sized case, and keep the option open to go the other way. I say do it.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:56 PM

I have both an Orucase-style case as well as S&S cases. I’ve used the Orucase on multiple overseas trips and my son uses it on his non-coupled race bike. My own daily drivers are both coupled and I prefer the S&S case size for getting around cars, escalators, trains, etc. I’ve been able to fit 3 coupled bikes in the back end of a VW wagon and the back seat held 3 roll-a boards plus a person. Can’t do that with even Orucases. Yes, the coupler is one. Ore step, but realistically it’s a few seconds to make or break the connection, hardly a dealbreaker given the convenience of a smaller case.

I have 3 Co-motion cases but am planning on selling them (1 with a nice 55cm Burley Wolf Creek inside). They are better than the hardshell case sold by S&S and are very forgiving for 700c x 32 without deflation. I like the Co-Motion cases but have moved on to a different case that suits my needs a bit better.

And, although most airlines have now gotten rid of bike fees, it is a fickle industry and I would never put it past them to bring the fees back. Some of us are old enough to remember when bags were included in the ticket price.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:37 PM

Hey Jim,
I think it's a great idea. I don't know how viable this is, but No.22 installs some fabulous couplers on their bikes - I don't know if they are proprietary or if it's even possible to incorporate them into your build - just a thought.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
I have both an Orucase-style case as well as S&S cases. I’ve used the Orucase on multiple overseas trips and my son uses it on his non-coupled race bike. My own daily drivers are both coupled and I prefer the S&S case size for getting around cars, escalators, trains, etc. I’ve been able to fit 3 coupled bikes in the back end of a VW wagon and the back seat held 3 roll-a boards plus a person. Can’t do that with even Orucases. Yes, the coupler is one. Ore step, but realistically it’s a few seconds to make or break the connection, hardly a dealbreaker given the convenience of a smaller case.

I have 3 Co-motion cases but am planning on selling them (1 with a nice 55cm Burley Wolf Creek inside). They are better than the hardshell case sold by S&S and are very forgiving for 700c x 32 without deflation. I like the Co-Motion cases but have moved on to a different case that suits my needs a bit better.

And, although most airlines have now gotten rid of bike fees, it is a fickle industry and I would never put it past them to bring the fees back. Some of us are old enough to remember when bags were included in the ticket price.

Did you have the orucase sub62 case in addition to the co-motion cases? I have a co-motion soft case that I have used a fair bit with my s&s coupled bike and am wondering if the sub62 is more or less the same case. The dimensions etc makes it look very similar.

If indeed the two cases are similar then I might get one for my daughter’s non-coupled 49cm CX race bike.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatspeed View Post
Did you have the orucase sub62 case in addition to the co-motion cases?.
No, my case is larger, like the regular Orucase or Post Carry for a standard frame with the fork removed. It’s about the same height as an S&S case (26”+) but about 8-10” longer. I designed it and a friend made it. It’s about 64”, so just over the size limit. Let’s just keep that fact between us.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Hey Jim,
I think it's a great idea. I don't know how viable this is, but No.22 installs some fabulous couplers on their bikes - I don't know if they are proprietary or if it's even possible to incorporate them into your build - just a thought.
That's indeed what i'm contemplating

Paragon Machine Works produce quite a few of those couplers, and I think Alliance, Bingham, No. 22, Dean, and Merlin are all incorporating such couplers
Old 03-21-2023, 09:59 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Co-Motion case looks very nice, but it appears to be the exact same size as my hard case. Now being a semi-flexible fabric case it will likely be slightly better than mine, which is totally rigid, hard plastic.
Yep unless they changed it the Co-Motion soft shell is the same size as the hard shell but you're right, there is some give in the fabric so it it "puffs" out on the soft sides a bit.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

I have always been fascinated with the idea of travelling to places and has my favorite bike tagged along. To me, it's as "essential" as bringing my toothbrush or underwear for the trip, I don't even need to think about it, I just do it.

Because of this, I have always factored in whether a bike is built for easy travel during my purchase.

In the past, I have bikes that came coupled but were not quite to my liking in the way they ride so I got rid of them eventually albeit with some reluctance.
I even experimented with a couple of Bike Fridays and foldable bikes as potential travel bikes because I wanted a bike during my travel so much. In the end, I decided I prefer a full size 700cc bike.

At present, I have 2 S&S coupled bike (one titanium, one steel) and one ritchey breakaway coupled custom steel bike. I have made several domestic and international trips with the Ti and the ritchey bike. All of them are capable of taking up to 700x43mm or 650bx48mm or 27.5x2.1 tires which gives me maximum latitude when it comes to the kind of roads and terrain I want to ride in at my destinations. I like the way they ride and have every intention to keep them forever. Another thing to consider: these bikes are designed to age well with me, meaning, I can shorten the reach or raise the handlebar, do whatever i want to go with my changing body needs as I age....these are forever bikes.

I have 2 S&S hard cases, 1 ritchey breakaway soft case, 1 Post Transfer soft case.
The post transfer case is the only one I haven't tried packing and travelling with a bike yet because I just got it a month ago. But overall, I would say, if properly packed and protected, all of these cases do their job of transporting the bike well. As for size, I think they are more or less the same. The only difference is the soft cases are lighter than the hard cases by about 5-6 pounds, which can be substantial if you are trying to stuff additional things in the bag without exceeding the 50 pounds weight limit.

I have come close to retrofitting an existing bike a couple of times in the past. In the end, I am glad I didn't. First, the cost would be substantial. Second, I was still experimenting with my fit and those bikes wouldn't have served my needs in the long term.

I consider myself very lucky to end up with three travel bikes that I am equally fond of....well ok...maybe, I like the Spectrum Ti bike a bit more than the rest. It took 30+ years in the making to get here.

I wish you luck and happiness with your new bike and making the right decision.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:01 AM

This is all that goes into my Orucase, plus wheels. One piece, nothing loose floating around, not packed to the gills with shoes and kit. Nothing for TSA to misplace. The bike pulls out in one piece, all tightly secured with velcro straps. Co-Motion wants $1195 for couplers, I rather get a spare set of wheels and a full size bike bag.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:59 AM

Just want to thank all posters for their helpful comments, and I especially appreciate the photos.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Consider that the S&S case will easily fit in the trunk of most uber small cars and tiny euro cars and a full size case will not, especially when travelling with other people....
This isn't a small consideration (no pun). I only made my flight home from Prague because the cab that showed up could fit my friend's full sized bike box and my S&S. Two full sized, no way and we miss the flight.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:12 PM
what's a little rust?

Not adding experience on this topic, just my thought: I don't see a negative to couplers (beyond cost, which is a given) and I also don't see airline regs as something to base a long-term decision on.

"Avoid permanent solutions based on temporary non-problems" or something like that.