Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I bought a Teragun last year for Xmas (2 years ago). I think I used it once.

I'll give ya $9 for it. Cash.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Can't afford one as much as I'd like.
I recently grabbed an amazon massage gun ("Relix"?) for around $30 and it seriously makes me question what makes the premium guns worth the money, granted I haven't used it for years and been able to noticed any lifespan issues.

The battery lasts for a few days worth of long massages at least and it comes with your standard arsenal of around 6 different tips (I only use the ball-end). Also has 6 speeds but I only use #2 as it seems to be the sweet spot for me. It's essentially a clone of the costco product in a previous page of this thread but 30 instead of 80 (very similar, if not more battery life). All efficiently packed in a hard fabric carrying case w/ handle. Not too large either and can easily be carried w/o case as it seems fairly rugged.

Last edited by Gabeah; 03-22-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:18 AM

For those that have used them, is there really a noticeable difference between the no name ones that populate amazon and say a Hypervolt?
I have one of the cheap ones but I am wondering if it would be worth upgrading?
Old 03-23-2023, 07:38 AM

I use a Hypervolt and do like it. Really does relieve the muscles after a demanding ride. Got mine for free thanks to my wife's work being a distributor. Don't think I would be quick to drop $250 bucks for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Gblw2nZtQ&t=1020s
Old 03-23-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Don't think I would be quick to drop $250 bucks for one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Gblw2nZtQ&t=1020s
Yeah I wasn't thinking of $250, the small version the go is on sale for $80, thats the one I am considering.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Yeah I wasn't thinking of $250, the small version the go is on sale for $80, thats the one I am considering.
One of the guys brought the Hypervolt Go to our last training camp and that thing was popular and work just as good.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'll give ya $9 for it. Cash.
I think this thread inspired me to at least try it again otherwise that's a good deal
Old 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM

I got one last fall partly after the last thread here.

I have a Hypervolt 2 I believe?

I am somewhat ambivalent. At at least 10x the price point of a foam roller I think it's a bad value relatively. FWIW I have 3 foam rollers.. and I know they have harder ones now so I kind of want to get a new one. The gym I go to has some black/blue speckled ones that are much harder than my black OTPT one. I've been using them so long now I always kind of crave the hardest one I can find.

It does provide a way to do parts of your body like traps or arms that don't work well with a roller. I find calves kind of hard to do with the roller as well.

But anything I can do with the roller I think the roller works better. It's still a heavier pressure, and it seems to take less time.

And unless you have someone else to operate the gun at least in my case I can get most of my back with the roller, whereas my arms don't really bend correctly to be able to apply the gun to most of my back.

If you follow the routines in the app you can easily be using the gun for 30 minutes to get the equivalent of 10 minutes or less with the roller.

It does seem to provide relief but I guess the question is whether it's temporary or it actually influences recovery. I feel like the roller really does impact recovery as opposed to just temporary relief.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:21 AM
what's a little rust?

Has anyone made a massage attachment for a Sawzall yet?
Old 03-23-2023, 12:02 PM

I have a Lifepro which seems to be good quality.
I have had it for a few years but have not used it that much.
I am not convinced it helped at all.
But recently I am having chronic soreness in my quads.
So I am going to do a controlled test and just try it on my right leg to see if there is a difference compared to my left leg. I will report back in a week.

Last edited by deluz; 03-23-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:04 PM

I have the Ekrin Athletics B37 that Wirecutter rated well, and love it. I've had it for almost a year, and use it pretty regularly post-ride with good results.

link: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-massage-guns/
Old 03-23-2023, 02:52 PM

Having owned a few massage guns priced from bargain to the theragun prime, I have some opinions.

The cheaper guns don't last. Either from poor quality or inferior batteries. The cheaper guns don't have enough stroke or stall force. Meaning the attachment doesn't move enough nor does it resist pressure from the user. The motor stalls and bogs.

The thera gun has been amazing. Battery life is unreal and you can apply a lot of pressure without stall.

The cheap guns vs theragun are 17lbs vs 60 lbs of stall force pressure. This makes the cheaper massager unless at anything other than light passes.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:48 PM

I just checked my Lifepro Sonic X and it has 56 lbs of stall force.
I don't feel it bog down.
So that seems to be good.
They run about $120.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:43 PM

We got the Hyperice last year. Nice solid gun, easy to use, hits the spot.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-23-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Having owned a few massage guns priced from bargain to the theragun prime, I have some opinions.

The cheaper guns don't last. Either from poor quality or inferior batteries. The cheaper guns don't have enough stroke or stall force. Meaning the attachment doesn't move enough nor does it resist pressure from the user. The motor stalls and bogs.

The thera gun has been amazing. Battery life is unreal and you can apply a lot of pressure without stall.

The cheap guns vs theragun are 17lbs vs 60 lbs of stall force pressure. This makes the cheaper massager unless at anything other than light passes.
I noticed that it felt like the Theragun goes deeper than the less expensive one I had (and gave away). Plus, as I mentioned, the pads are way more comfortable.