Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
No, I'm sure it does not include the headset. Just the frame.

But since the newer Pegs can only use a King D11 headset, they might as well include the headset. For other frames, stack w/headset could vary depending on which headset was used.
Thank you.

I seem to have found the D11 has an upper stack height of 18mm, so a bit of almost forgotten trigonometry suggests I need to add 17mm to the published stack and subtract 5mm from the published reach to get 'real world' fit figures.

I was looking at a 52/53, now I think it's between a 51/52. One to run past my fitter.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:03 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Much as I agree in principle, if I could get a disc Love, I'd get one in a heartbeat because I could swap my Record disc groupset and Boras over in an afternoon, rather than having to buy/sell groupsets and wheels.
I feel ya on this. I've bought many frames over time with a main consideration being that I could simply strip parts off one frame and move over to the new frame.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:29 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Much as I agree in principle, if I could get a disc Love, I'd get one in a heartbeat because I could swap my Record disc groupset and Boras over in an afternoon, rather than having to buy/sell groupsets and wheels.
I understand that. OTOH, the time you'd spend stripping, selling, buying, and building is small compared to the rest of your life looking at that disc Peg
Old 03-21-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I understand that. OTOH, the time you'd spend stripping, selling, buying, and building is small compared to the rest of your life looking at that disc Peg
Ok, that made me laugh :-)
Old 03-21-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
For the OP - or those with Pegs - am I right in thinking that the published stack dimension doesn't include the Chris King headset, and that you effectively need to add ~15mm to the number on the chart (i.e. the actual vertical difference of an 18mm top bearing)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
No, I'm sure it does not include the headset. Just the frame.

But since the newer Pegs can only use a King D11 headset, they might as well include the headset. For other frames, stack w/headset could vary depending on which headset was used.

Keep in mind that with the Day is Done the headtube is shorter than the other Pegoretti models, so don’t rely on the geo charts for that measurement.

Last edited by KarlC; 03-21-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
Thanks for sharing the detailed comparison. I've only ridden carbon and tempted to get a steel bike to try this "steel ride" feeling but not sure I wanted to put that much money into it yet. I tried to get a used JKS but missed out. I'll have to keep looking.

For those with more experience riding steel, do your Pegorettis ride notably different than "lesser" steel bikes--something not custom (SOMA? All-City?)
Below is some input from Ryun, who has a lot of experience with A LOT of bike including several Pegs..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai H. Ho View Post
Thanks for the teaser pic. I would love to own a Pego one day. How does one decide on which model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
thats a tough one. I have had most of them. I would say they are more similar than different but there are some differences in stiffness.
Roughly I would say from stiffest to most compliant:

big Leg emma
Love 3
Round
MXXXlo / Day is done
Respo
Duende
Lugino
Old 03-21-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to re-stoke the rim vs disc debate, but to me a Peg should have rim brakes. It's not only an aesthetic preference -- I'm a pretty fast descender and never once have I felt under-braked on my Duende.
I agree completely - other than riding in the rain (which I avoid these days) or descending something like Mt Diablo I'd take rim all day long. And it's not that you can't rail Mt Diablo on rim brakes, it's just easier with dialed discs (i.e. Campy discs). But I'm loving Ekar/1x13 with 9-36 so much for road now and have two phenomenal N3W wheelsets.....
Old 03-21-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Crazy right?....that we'd choose these metal bikes over carbon racers?!? What is the world coming to.
I've done a few rides on my Noah Fast disc with Ekar and Bora Ultra 60s I just built up and it's pretty amazing. But.....it just doesn't have that planted feeling the Mxxxxxo has. If I had to keep one bike it'd be a Sophie's Choice thingy between the Mxxxxxlo and my Seven.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:13 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
I'm not here to re-stoke the rim vs disc debate, but to me a Peg should have rim brakes. It's not only an aesthetic preference -- I'm a pretty fast descender and never once have I felt under-braked on my Duende.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
I agree completely - other than riding in the rain (which I avoid these days) or descending something like Mt Diablo I'd take rim all day long.
Concur. I hove between 190 and 210. I likely don't go downhill as quickly as cgolvin, but I do descend rapidly. And, I outweigh him by a solid amount. I don't bat an eye at rim brakes...esp on alloy...and the new carbon brake tracks are just as good. I also avoid riding in the rain cuz my kettlebell occasionally needs attention.

Quote:
I've done a few rides on my Noah Fast disc with Ekar and Bora Ultra 60s I just built up and it's pretty amazing. But.....it just doesn't have that planted feeling the Mxxxxxo has. If I had to keep one bike it'd be a Sophie's Choice thingy between the Mxxxxxlo and my Seven.
I hate hard decisions. Here's to NOT making them!

I've already said it and I stand by it: gun to my head and forced to chose, I'm taking the Love.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:10 PM
Deconditioned!

Bumping this as the verdict is in: one of these rigs has to go.

Y'all can decide which one....
Old 05-17-2023, 05:33 PM

haven't you already decided?

you have this:
Peg Mxxxxxo|Argo RM3|Hampsten|Crux|Kona Rove

i.e. Peg LOVE#3 isn't listed?

I'd love another Peg, regret selling my CTS Respo.(and my why not Marcelo, but the Respo was a slightly better fit).

Post both in classified with 1st sale equals retraction of the other. I doubt my Visa can shoulder it, but if the TT is under 85 cm stand-over and the saddle can go to 75-76cm, I'm a potential debtor.

Perhaps bittersweet, but it is a nice dilemma that you have
Old 05-17-2023, 05:35 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
you have this:
Peg Mxxxxxo|Argo RM3|Hampsten|Crux|Kona Rove

i.e. Peg LOVE#3 isn't listed?

I'd love another Peg, regret selling my CTS Respo.(and my why not Marcelo, but the Respo was a slightly better fit).

Post both in classified with 1st sale equals retraction of the other. I doubt my Visa can shoulder it, but if the TT is under 85 cm stand-over and the saddle can go to 75-76cm, I'm a potential debtor.

Perhaps bittersweet, but it is a nice dilemma that you have
I posted them up. I changed my sig line as Clean and I were/are up to our usual antics.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:16 PM

Dang it I just bought Clean's Corum.....any interest in a possible sign and trade for my Wilier Filante? It's an amazing rig but a bit redundant now that I have the Noah Fast disc.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:40 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Dang it I just bought Clean's Corum.....any interest in a possible sign and trade for my Wilier Filante? It's an amazing rig but a bit redundant now that I have the Noah Fast disc.
Sorry. My RM3 has been making me (almost) not want to ride my Pegs. It's that good!

My carbon quiver is fullski.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:53 PM

Yeah I forgot about the Argonaut, plus you also have the Crux, right? GLWS, with the Corum I'll have three built rim brake bikes and one frame (C50) so I don't need another. But that Saporito paint......