Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 08:48 AM

I started my diet the first of December which is no carbs and not eating till lunch. It also coincided with the purchase of a Zwift hub. I’m 6’5” and started at 228 and am at 214 right now. Every year my goal is 4,000 miles, but work and life seem to get in the way. The Zwift hub has made miles easier to come by darkness and weather dont matter. I’m on pace right now for 4,800 miles.

My reason for dieting and losing weight is because I have a 2 week trip to Hawaii at the end of the month. The diet will end there as I eat poke bowls and Lapperts ice cream and drink rum and POG cocktails by the pool. There will be some riding as I usually rent a bile from Boss Frogs, they have a 63 Cannondale with ultegra that fits nicely.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:34 AM
le baroudeur

I joined the challenge at the beginning of January after dropping 20 lbs in 2022. That drop put me at the edge of my weight precipice (170 lbs), where I've been many times over the last 15 years in previous efforts before managing to put the 20 lbs back over a year or two every.single.time.

This time - thanks in part to this forum - I've managed to knock off another 10 lbs, but it's been exceptionally hard. Whereas 30 years ago 150 lbs was my walking around weight, 159-160 lbs might be 'it' now.

I'll keep reading, and trying, for encouragement but it's a patience game now. Pounds come off and come back on feels like instantly!

Good luck to all.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:12 PM

-11 pounds 5kgs so far all by calorie control, just started riding outside last week.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:18 PM

Mine has not been planned. Down from 213 to 189 pounds in 4 weeks. Being sick with no diagnosis, except ruling out things is no fun. This is what I get for buying a new sram axs 12 speed group for the speedvagen.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Mine has not been planned. Down from 213 to 189 pounds in 4 weeks. Being sick with no diagnosis, except ruling out things is no fun. This is what I get for buying a new sram axs 12 speed group for the speedvagen.
That's a lot. Hope all is OK.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:27 AM

Quote:
oh no, hope they find and cure the cause soon. best wishes
Old 03-21-2023, 06:02 AM

Drs are confident they'll figure it out. I've lost pretty much all my fat and my muscles are now wasting.

When I start road to recovery hope to stabilize at 195. That is a healthish weight for someone my height and body type.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:32 AM

if you need some pounds I have plenty you can have for free
best!
Old 03-21-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Drs are confident they'll figure it out. I've lost pretty much all my fat and my muscles are now wasting.

When I start road to recovery hope to stabilize at 195. That is a healthish weight for someone my height and body type.
Hoping for a quick recovery. Losing weight fast without cause is scary.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:27 PM

I pierced the 190 barrier for the first time this morning since just before Thanksgiving. Nmad holiday feasting...
Old 03-22-2023, 03:04 PM

Lost 25 pounds the last several months doing ITF, i.e., no meals before 2pm or 2hrs before going to bed, no further restrictions, no diet. Sauna/steam or exercise in the morning w/o any food -- the first few times were so exhausting, a bit better later on though still without doing strenuous effort. I brake this diet on weekends where I do longer rides with a higher altitude gain so I really need to eat something before or I would pass out :/.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:38 PM

Joining late. Finally stepped on the scale this year. That was a shock. I just added my name and weight/goal to the spreadsheet. I need at least 15 gone.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:19 PM

Lightbulb

I’m in late as well. I started a program called Omada in January, either my employer or my insurance is paying for it, not sure which but it isn’t me. I suspect it starts being offered when you’re considered prediabetic, anyway at 54 and an easy 30+ pounds overweight, it seems like time to do something before something truly unpleasant happens to me. I’m already on two blood pressure meds and a cholesterol med, all of that is managed, but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to stop taking them.

Pre-Covid, I was going to the gym five days a week and working out pretty hard, including spin classes, and I did not lose any consequential amount of weight. Maybe 5 pounds or something… Covid clobbered all that, and I dropped working out like bad habit in a like a week, no joke. I was probably 15 pounds overweight when I was working out, I gained another 15 or so during Covid. When my questionable scale was tipping way too close to 245, I started to get legitimately concerned…

I was pondering Noom, then the lightbulb came on, and I figured why not try the thing that’s being offered for free. I think for me the two biggest things are I weigh in every morning (the scale is Bluetooth enabled and uploads my way immediately) and I also log all of my food, but not in a super specific manner. No calorie or carb counting and no real rules, but there are weekly lessons that point you toward better ways to eat, and what you should have more or less of. My diet was mostly like an 11-year-old, my big change is probably trying to include at least a fruit or vegetable with every meal. The scale and food logging keep me accountable. I don’t want to log that I ate half a super size bag of nacho Doritos for a snack, I also don’t want to step on the scale and weigh 4 pounds more… Doug

Last edited by dvancleve; 03-22-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:30 PM

I also late joined. Post divorce, I hit 149 lbs at my peak in 2022. I tried drinking a bit less and riding a lot more, and I'm down to 142 at the start of the year. I'm going to see if I can get it down to 138, and try to keep improving my relationship to alcohol. That means drink less, zero not being practical for me because I like my beer too much, but less is healthier.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:10 PM

I lost about 50 pounds on Noom last year. I have been at a near-constant weight for about nine months, but I plan to push this summer to drop another 10-15 pounds. I am a mesomorph and easily pack on muscle, so I expect this additional weight loss to be more difficult than last year.