Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
No. Both were told to run 1:33 to save the car and assure maximum team points, Checo complied, Max ignored it. When the gap started to close because Max would not follow team direction, Checo was told to up his pace to 1:32 Again Checo complied while Max continued his selfish ways; capturing fastest lap. Checo was surprised because he was told Max would be managing to the finish. This is not the first time this has happened.
Ya, I know. He didn’t follow directions from the team wall. Great drivers get to do that.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Ya, I know. He didn’t follow directions from the team wall. Great drivers get to do that.
Phenomenally talented driver, but doesn't work and play well with others. -just like his father only much more successful.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:10 PM

If Red Bull wanted to be harsh and do the best result for the team they would have had Max win the race.

Why are people discussing engineer’s salaries vs driver’s salaries. Driver’s salaries are not included in the budget cap.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Phenomenally talented driver, but doesn't work and play well with others. -just like his father only much more successful.
Really? What about all of the drivers who are taking out their own teammates. Drivers are all whining. Hamilton does it with less emotion. Better ratings to magnify what Max says instead of all of the drivers that don’t matter.

His aggressive, emotional approach is part of what makes him a winner.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2023, 07:31 PM

How many wins for Checo? Championships?

Max went from 15th to 2nd, without his technical issues he probably would have won. Checo is not as consistent and isn't paid to win like max is. I'll leave it at that

If the scraps left on the table are a couple wins a year, millions of dollars and podiums galore...sign me up
Old 03-20-2023, 10:01 PM

Yes it is Max's job to win the championship and at this point, unless his car breaks down every race the championship is his.

But Checo did his best in 2021 to help Max and he defended Lewis well in a few races so Max could win his first championship. Last year in Brazil when Checo's car was faster and Max didn't follow team order to let Checo pass. That move probably cost Checo the 2nd place in championship.

Max definitely is a winner at all cost type and could not let anyone has the opportunity to gain any advantage.

That being said, I admire Max's talent and it is amazing to see him drive. And he is certainly no worse than Schumacher to his teammates or Senna vs Prost.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
So the fact they are both businesses makes them compatible ? I can just find any business that “over invests” in “talent” and underinvests in engineering that is “successful” as a counter?

That is a silly game.

You might want to read up on the economics of an f1 team. It is actually pretty interesting.
Yes, that makes them compatible up to a point, i.e., all business exist to meet some kind of need, are expected to generate revenue, operate within a legal framework, require some level of investment, and most of all require effective management of resources. There's plenty of MBA literature in this regard that you might want to read up as well, though it's probably not as interesting.

Anyway, as an example of this, I love what Aston Martin did in the past year. They made Dan Fallows (RB's former technical director) an offer he couldn't refuse and then, when they got a car that could deliver, convinced Alonso to join even though they cut his salary in half. That's impressive.

Last edited by s4life; 03-21-2023 at 02:56 AM.