Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2023, 07:30 AM

Best road levers for riders with small hands?

My mom has been having trouble with operating the brakes/shifters on her bike, because her hands are a bit too small to really reach the levers fully.

Any advice on what the best models would be for a replacement? Mostly looking for a small hood shape and probably a reach-adjustable lever. Not really worried about compatibility at this point as this will probably involve a new drivetrain build.

Does Shimano make a 'small' version of any of their levers? How do the new sram axs levers compare?
Old 03-18-2023, 07:39 AM

Shimano makes the smaller R7025 and R8025 shifters for hydraulic disc/mechanical 11 speed.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:39 AM

SRAM levers are adjustable as far as the reach to the brakes. That helps for my wife but also finding a bar with the right shape, combined with the right placement of the levers on the bars, helped her alot too.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:42 AM

I think campagnolo 10 speed are great for small hands
Old 03-18-2023, 11:42 AM
Administrator

If there was ever a case for hydro discs and electric shifting, this is probably it.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:56 PM

The 12spd Shimano hoods are probably the best to date in regards to size and lever reach for small hands IMO but be mindful the hood reach has increased 5mm over 11spd hoods.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:35 PM

SRAM Rival AXS is smaller than Force or Red AXS. With the adjustable reach they work for my wife, who has petit hands.

That said, the “best” option, fit-wise, might be a flat bar with nice levers. I’ve always found getting mountain bike levers adjusted far easer than road. And often easier to use (generate full braking force).
Old 03-18-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If there was ever a case for hydro discs and electric shifting, this is probably it.
I wonder. I'm helping my sister spec a new bike, and she has small and arthritic hands. What I notice on my own bikes is that using cable discs (new Growtacs) with 8000 shifters is easier than with the 8020 hydro shifters because the hood area is noticeably narrower. So I'm thinking cable Di2, probably stick with 11 speed.