Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 PM

Garmin 920xt for powermeter

Currently have a Joule that need to connect by usb to upload data

The Garmin 920 watch, while primarily a running watch, has cycling features; wondering if anyone uses the powermeter functions (I am using a newer power tap wheel)

Looking for quicker way of uploading data as my apple desktop is outdated but have newer iPad and phone

Appreciate any feedback or if I should look at a more cycling specific computer that measures power. Mapping not important
Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 PM

920xt works fine. It connects to your Wifi and will auto-upload to Garmin Connect and then to Strava. I've had the Forerunner 305, the 910xt and the 920xt.

It also does running & swimming (lap counting) - and on sale it is a pretty good deal - I expect some sites will blow them out over the holidays.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:09 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

920XT was recently (may still be) on pretty hefty discount.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:05 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Works for me also. I used to be the person with a running watch, edge 510 cycling computer and the garmin swim. Now I just have the 920 doing all 3. Plenty of space on the screen for 1-4 fields of relevant information regarding power and training.

Mine has worked flawlessly with P2M power meter, HR, Speed cadence, and a power tap. Some of the earlier released 920's had a connectivity issue which mine had. Garmin replaced it free of charge with a brand new one. I use the 920 with the quick release kit and out front bike mount.

Data fields I use regarding power:

Indoor training with trainer road- 3s Power, Cadence, HR
Outdoor Rides- Time of day, 3s Power, Cadence, Distance
Races - Timer, Cadence, 3s Power, HR
Old 11-10-2016, 08:18 AM

if you've got a newer Powertap wheel that transmits over Bluetooth as well (older ones are ANT+ only), you can also consider a Suunto Ambit 3. similar functions to Garmin, but looks a bit less like a computer on your wrist. which is nice IMO, especially if you plan to wear it all the time.

I started riding with a Garmin FR230 late this past summer and I like it a lot. doesn't have power but I use the HR functions. I like that it's not in front of me and I have to make a conscious effort to take my hand off the bars to see it. means I look at it less and enjoy the ride more. then I can analyze the data later, if I want to.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Take a look at the Wagii ELEMNT as well. There may be one in classifieds. You can set it up to transfer via wifi. Don't recall if you need a desktop/laptop for initial setup