Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 05-06-2021, 09:50 PM

Colnago C40: What build should I go for?!

Yes...another one of those questions. Forgive me, but well, something I have not been able to make a decision on for some time. So many ways to go for this. So what better way than to ask the kind folks at Paceline?

I got this frame off jischr a few months back and have been slowly looking out for parts for this. Thing is, I now have too many options.

Frame is a mark III, B stay version.

My initial plan was to go Dura Ace 7800, since it matches the frame time period. But I realized the 7800 crankset didn't seem to match the frame well IMO. So I started to look towards the 7700 crankset, and build it up with a bit of Mapei flair. So just 7700 crankset with 7800 everything else.

The other option would be to build record 10/chorus 10. The carbon details on the groupset would go great with the C40 naked carbon look. I also happened to find a Chorus CT compact Ultra Torque crank for a good price locally. Compact cranks are much preferable for me right now, much more enjoyable to spin than to grind.

TLDR: The dilemma is pretty much to do w the crankset/shifters. Bought a really nice and minty 7700 crankset, but 7800 bulbous shifters are kinda fugly LOL, but I hear they shift amazing and I guess Dura Ace will be slightly more period correct as per the Mapei Team. If I go the Campy route, I get to run a compact ultra torque set up and the carbon groupset would go well with the c40 naked carbon look.

Wheels-wise, I have a nice pair of Neutron Ultras. Saddle is a Rolls Titanio. White bar tapes, ITM millenium, Deda 26mm bars. Elite Ciussi Inox bottle cages.

Based on what I have been reading about the C40s, I think this is gonna be worth the dilemma. One day I shall get my hands on the C40 Mapei. One day...

Last edited by dvnzzz; 05-07-2021 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 PM

I think 7700 is fantastic stuff.

But don't worry about heritage or period correctness. Build it up with the components that you want to ride. Go for Campagnolo if that's what's calling to you.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:57 AM

Campy 10. Because: function. Gruppo. Native compact option. Spare parts, forever. Looks great. Made in Italy. Square taper, since that's your thing and you already have the crankset. Appropriate for the bike. Fits your wheels.

Last edited by chismog; 05-07-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:07 AM

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you having recently acquired a C40 B Stay Mapei LX21 frameset. I initally bought 2015 Chorus, but then some pristine Record 10 speed levers came into my posession. This kicked off an obsessive search for Record 10 speed bits; initally 2007 QS, then 1st gen BB-System. I now have enough Campy to furnish three bikes. Ooops.

I'm going to build the C40 up with the 1st gen Record 10. It's beautiful and it matches the period of the frame. I suspect 7700 would also be a great match, but levers in good cosmetic condition are hard to come by. Maybe in the future...

I recall seeing a C40 on weight weenies with a 7700/7800 mix (link below) that looked fantastic. Good luck with your build whichever way you decide to go with it.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...httk2En6uGLti6

Last edited by Kraken; 05-07-2021 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 05-07-2021, 09:07 AM
PegPinaNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Campy 10. Because: function. Gruppo. Native compact option. Spare parts, forever. Looks great. Made in Italy. Square taper, since that's your thing and you already have the crankset. Appropriate for the bike. Fits your wheels.
This.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:22 AM

While not compulsory, I think having period correct parts is a nice thing. It fits the heritage and intent of the frame and results in a beautiful package.

Following that reasoning, I think a C40 should be built with Campy. The only exception would be a Mapei, which could also be built with Dura Ace per the team spec.

Here's mine

Old 05-09-2021, 08:58 PM

Build it like you want to ride it. I have several bikes with 7800, and I love it. However I find the lack of a compact crankset to be a limiting factor with those bikes. I have a 7900 build with a compact crankset, so that one gets me up some steeper hills. But that’s when they started trending black so some will say that it doesn’t look as nice as the older shiny Dura Ace on certain frames. I have a couple bikes built with R8000, and those are my go to bikes for serious climbing. Others would tell you that R8000 would look wrong on the bike. I spend more time riding than looking, so I care less about “period correct” than others. If you have the Campy bits to build it how you want it to ride, go that route. If you don’t like the end result, you can always change it. If I could have only one bike, it would be built with R8000. Fortunately I can have more than one bike. So that’s my answer, build it how you want it to ride, and have more than one bike.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 PM

Record/chorus 10 for me, no question. Especially if it’s a naked carbon frame.

The wheel and finishing kit sounds perfect.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:04 AM

that is perfect. just perfect.

i will share a pic of a riding acquiantance's similar bike, circa when it first came out (mid-late 2000's). he took the details to the nth degree....and also had the legs to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
While not compulsory, I think having period correct parts is a nice thing. It fits the heritage and intent of the frame and results in a beautiful package.

Following that reasoning, I think a C40 should be built with Campy. The only exception would be a Mapei, which could also be built with Dura Ace per the team spec.

Here's mine

Attached Images
File Type: jpg philippe the magnificent.jpg (60.3 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg a huffy in disguise.jpg (145.4 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-10-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:17 AM

Thanks all for the pics and advice. Campy 10 it is! Will update with build pics once all the parts are in. Working within a budget and slowly hunting for the right parts just makes this build so much fun. I actually had a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis wheels, but passed them along to a friend cause I very much prefer the convenience of clinchers.

Those Mapei / World Championship frames are such stunners.

Last edited by dvnzzz; 05-10-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:01 AM

Great! I like your decision. Enjoy the process, it's almost as fun as riding the finished product.

If you're looking to stay with the Ambrosio look but with clinchers, their Excellence rims are quite similar and have the same gold valve hole weight/badge. I'm hunting for a set myself.

Also, thanks for the compliments!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:49 AM

I'm good for now as I have the Neutrons. Spent a while trying to look for the Excellence wheels but, yeah hard to find, and I think I might prefer going for TB14s in the hard ano colorway.

Good luck w your find.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:06 PM

Pritchet74 has my old C40, and I never disagree with Campy everything, but if you haven't tried 7800, you owe it to yourself. The cables aren't the most attractive, but man it shifts nice.
I ran mine with 7800 and a naked Sram Quarq crankset.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Pritchet74 has my old C40, and I never disagree with Campy everything, but if you haven't tried 7800, you owe it to yourself. The cables aren't the most attractive, but man it shifts nice.
I ran mine with 7800 and a naked Sram Quarq crankset.
Yeah, that was the initial idea. Heard tons of good stuff about 7800's shifting.

But I think I will go campy for this. Figured since this isn't in the Mapei colorway (as others have pointed out), Campy will go well with the whole carbon look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c40.jpg (80.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg c40 1.jpg (80.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg cr0 2.jpg (100.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:15 AM
PegPinaNagos

Very happy to see the direction this is going! Also, I think that Campy 10 shifts fantastic.

Last edited by pritchet74; 05-17-2021 at 09:17 AM.