Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 01:26 PM

Litespeed gravel frames?

I was helping a friend look around for a stock not too expensive gravel frame that would take the new campy group and take 650b x 48 tires. We happen upon the current crop of litespeed units. They look pretty nice, seem to be priced OK and say they are made in the US. Anyone know who makes these or have experience riding one or any experience at all?

https://litespeed.com/collections/titanium-gravel-bikes
Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 PM

Litespeed makes them in Chattanooga as far as I know. A couple friends have new ones and like them quite a lot. One is a gravel bike and one is a mountain bike.

That's all I got.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 PM

For some reason I thought Lynskey made them, but I see Lynskey on their "brand comparison chart", so that would seem to indicate not. Pretty compelling value, especially with the sale. And the new Watia is interesting. Just the kind of grave endurance geo I've been looking for. I like that they offer fender and three bottle mounts standard and a top tube mount and t47 as options.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:08 PM

Velocipede or someone knows the inside scoop on those two companies. I can't keep track. I feel like Litespeed was sold and Lynskey was formed by the original owner of Litespeed's son?
Old 11-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I was helping a friend look around for a stock not too expensive gravel frame that would take the new campy group and take 650b x 48 tires. We happen upon the current crop of litespeed units. They look pretty nice, seem to be priced OK and say they are made in the US. Anyone know who makes these or have experience riding one or any experience at all?

https://litespeed.com/collections/titanium-gravel-bikes
Litespeed makes all their own frames. Seems like almost every review is positive specifically citing the cush rides. Geo seems a little wonky, and features that come with most new gravel bikes are add-ons, but not too out of line with current crop of gravel frames. Their prices are very competitive, right in lock step with carbon offerings and weight seems to be only slightly above carbon for the Cherohala and Ultimate. Aesthetically they're OK for Ti, nothing like offerings by Firefly, No22 or Mosaic, but those are boutique brands.

First Ti bike was a litespeed, and while the ride was indeed cush and the frame was very light it also flexed like crazy. Also heard some reliability stories of older frames, but who knows with the new models.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:43 PM

thanks for the feedback guys.

I forgot that litespeed kept their factory when ABG bought them. I like to buy frames from the actual maker so that is a thumbs up for Litespeed. My friend is a small guy so a flexy bike won't be too bad for him.

I think these frames seem like a pretty good value.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:44 PM

T5 Gravel

I have this and love it. They were running some specials.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think ABG bought the Litespeed name from the Lynskey . I have a '96 Litespeed Catalyst with a David Lynskey decal on the non-drive side chain stay. Lynskey had a non-compete clause for several years after the sale but then came out with their own Lynskey branded frames.
At least that's my memory. Someone with more insider knowledge likely knows the story better.
I still have my Litespeed and it's my full-rendered rain bike that has a lot of miles on it.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Two wheels good

I've owned bikes from both Litespeed and Lynskey (in addition to some more expensive Ti brands). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Litespeed or Lynskey gravel bike if I were in the market.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I think ABG bought the Litespeed name from the Lynskey . I have a '96 Litespeed Catalyst with a David Lynskey decal on the non-drive side chain stay. Lynskey had a non-compete clause for several years after the sale but then came out with their own Lynskey branded frames.
At least that's my memory. Someone with more insider knowledge likely knows the story better.
I still have my Litespeed and it's my full-rendered rain bike that has a lot of miles on it.
David Lynskey and his family founded Litespeed in the mid-80s, and David Lynskey was the innovator in the field and his bikes were state-of-the-art. He built bikes ridden by Lemond, Armstrong and many others in the Tour de France. Lynskey sold Litespeed to American Bicycle Group in 1999 (AMG also purchased Merlin). After Lynskey’s non-compete ended, he founded Lynskey Designs in 2006.

I had a Litespeed Vortex in the late 90s into the early 2000s. I loved that bike. When it got destroyed in an encounter with a motor vehicle in 2006, I went right back to David Lynskey and purchased a custom Lynskey R460. That bike was even better.

I rode the R460 for 14 years through last winter, when a chainstay cracked at a weld while I was on my Computrainer. Lynskey was ready to replace the bike under its Lifetime warranty (I was told by Lynskey that “lifetime means lifetime”). But Lynskey agreed to let me pay a very reasonable upgrade price to get a GR Race frame and Lauf Grit fork instead. I’m in the process of gathering parts and will be building the gravel frame up over the upcoming months. The frame is beautiful. I have nothing but good things to say about Lynskey.

I’ve not ridden a Litespeed since Litespeed was owned by David Lynskey, but if the bike fits, I’m sure it will ride nicely. I’d purchase a Lynskey over a Litespeed now just because I’ve been treated so well by Lynskey over the years.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:01 PM

Nice bikes. I have an old mountain bike, tanasi, from ‘99 and a 2007 T2 Icon. Both great riding bikes, great welds.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
David Lynskey and his family founded Litespeed in the mid-80s, and David Lynskey was the innovator in the field and his bikes were state-of-the-art. He built bikes ridden by Lemond, Armstrong and many others in the Tour de France. Lynskey sold Litespeed to American Bicycle Group in 1999 (AMG also purchased Merlin). After Lynskey’s non-compete ended, he founded Lynskey Designs in 2006.

I had a Litespeed Vortex in the late 90s into the early 2000s. I loved that bike. When it got destroyed in an encounter with a motor vehicle in 2006, I went right back to David Lynskey and purchased a custom Lynskey R460. That bike was even better.

I rode the R460 for 14 years through last winter, when a chainstay cracked at a weld while I was on my Computrainer. Lynskey was ready to replace the bike under its Lifetime warranty (I was told by Lynskey that “lifetime means lifetime”). But Lynskey agreed to let me pay a very reasonable upgrade price to get a GR Race frame and Lauf Grit fork instead. I’m in the process of gathering parts and will be building the gravel frame up over the upcoming months. The frame is beautiful. I have nothing but good things to say about Lynskey.

I’ve not ridden a Litespeed since Litespeed was owned by David Lynskey, but if the bike fits, I’m sure it will ride nicely. I’d purchase a Lynskey over a Litespeed now just because I’ve been treated so well by Lynskey over the years.
Thanks for sharing this.

I've been considering them for my next road bike... This certainly nudged them up a bit as well.

Just looked and they're currently running another 20% off sale for the holidays. Their disc brake road bikes (helix and the r300) both take up to 32's now. That's awesome. It would be rad if they did direct mount calipers and could get similar clearance to the disc brake bikes. The Rim versions only do 25's.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 11-25-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Thanks for sharing this.

I've been considering them for my next road bike... This certainly nudged them up a bit as well.

Just looked and they're currently running another 20% off sale for the holidays. Their disc brake road bikes (helix and the r300) both take up to 32's now. That's awesome. It would be rad if they did direct mount calipers and could get similar clearance to the disc brake bikes. The Rim versions only do 25's.
I have always used rim breaks on my road bikes, but if I was buying today, I’d go with discs. There are just more wheel options — I’m reluctant to use carbon wheels with rim brakes. And disc brakes just work.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:46 PM

They have good deals on their frames. I’d be more interested in the gravel frame with internal routing but I can’t get over the unsightly and large port on the top of the down tube. Similar issue with the Litespeed gravel bikes and how they run rear brake under the BB shell (fully exposed to rock strikes) then into the stay. Seems like over the shell would make more sense. Not sure if the latter is cost related or other.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 PM
Shrimp123

i have a Lynskey GR300. The largest tire i have used is a 38 (due to old stock i had) and i will say that it does the job well. It should clear at least 42 in 700c. Taken it thr' 4k miles this year and am pretty happy with it. Its not fast (as a supersix), but, it goes places where my road bike shudders.

did discuss with both Litespeed and Lynskey before the purchase..... and chose Lynskey due to their sale and overall lower cost. This was to be my no-worries-how-i-ride-it bike.

specs : all external routing, GRX, 1x, fender and rack mounts