Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 05:26 PM

Saris H3, could they make it any harder!!!!

What happened to the good old days when a $1000 product actually came with instructions. So angry now I'm ready to throw this piece of garbage out the window.

Does anyone know if SARIS is hiding a real operating manual somewhere for the H3? I cant find anything other than the crap setup manual they send to hook up you bike.

Trainer won't pair with my Windows 10 machine and yes blutooth is on. I did get it to pair with my smartphone no problem.

Downloaded the zwift app to my samsung phone. I can get the cadence and power to connect from the H3 but not the controllable device. What the heck good is a smart trainer when if you can control it. So frustrated with it all right now.

Probably should never have bought this stupid thing but I foolishly expected to be able to actually find instructions easily, how silly of me.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:33 PM
ZhugeLiang

breathe james, breathe....you should have just stuck with ...

and forget the rest. To me, they ain't worth the time.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:35 PM

I would check to see if there is a facebook page for that trainer..you can get fast answers there maybe.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:38 PM
ZhugeLiang

https://www.saris.com/Uploads/PDF/Cy.../H3-Manual.pdf
Old 11-24-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
I would check to see if there is a facebook page for that trainer..you can get fast answers there maybe.
Yes indeed
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1997902033831560
Old 11-24-2020, 05:47 PM

Did you try restarting it?
Old 11-24-2020, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Did you try restarting it?
do you work for my IT department? ? ?

Old 11-24-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Yep, that is what it comes with. No instructions on how to use the Apps or pair it or anything. No troubleshooting, nothing. There website is worthless for support unless maybe I want to take off work and call them which I imagine is quite the ordeal in itself. Damn thing has driven me to drink and I don't drink normally.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

It's the only computer joke I know :-)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

LOL, right?

Sad thing is I'm an old tech, worked IT, and didn't use to be an idiot. But I also am used to having a proper product manual. Heck I've written tech manual for the military back in the day and be sure when I worked project management developing products they had to come with full operating and maintenance manuals.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
breathe james, breathe....you should have just stuck with ...

and forget the rest. To me, they ain't worth the time.
Yep, I'm with you. I literally am mad as heck and did just down a bunch of booze. I'm sending it back, it's just not worth the hassle. I'll stick to my rollers on bad winter days and ride outside as much as I can. Screw the new tech crap!
Old 11-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Kill this thread, I just processed the return.

My time is valuable and I don't have it to waste on a product the manufacturer can't provide proper and full instructions on.

This may very well be the first time I've actually returned something.

And I must say my "homemade" elderberry flower infused booze provides quite the kick, bbbbZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

No rollers tonight...

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-24-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:02 PM

Some sort of firewall or security app keeping it from connecting?

I'm just talking a stab in the dark.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post

What happened to the good old days when a $1000 product actually came with instructions. So angry now I'm ready to throw this piece of garbage out the window.

Does anyone know if SARIS is hiding a real operating manual somewhere for the H3? I cant find anything other than the crap setup manual they send to hook up you bike.

Trainer won't pair with my Windows 10 machine and yes blutooth is on. I did get it to pair with my smartphone no problem.

Downloaded the zwift app to my samsung phone. I can get the cadence and power to connect from the H3 but not the controllable device. What the heck good is a smart trainer when if you can control it. So frustrated with it all right now.

Probably should never have bought this stupid thing but I foolishly expected to be able to actually find instructions easily, how silly of me.
Bluetooth on Windows is a crapshot, and this might not be the fault of Saris.

Much better if you download an app like Zwift on a tablet and connect that way. Alternatively, download the app onto your PC, download the companion app on your phone, make sure both are on the same wireless network, and you basically connect the trainer to your phone via Bluetooth, while phone to PC via wireless. FWIW, I've never connected my Hammer (the first gen product) to my PC directly via Bluetooth. The connection was either via ANT+ or indirectly via the Zwift Companion App.

For ANT+, you'll need an ANT+ receiver and preferably a long USB cable.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:07 PM

Did you check for any firmware updates? Sounds like this is new out of the box, so a firmware update may be waiting for you.

Regarding pairing with your Windows PC, I see two things in the manual that may be relevant.

"To enjoy the full capabilities of the trainer including ongoing enhancements and Over-the-Air firmware updates you must use the Saris App for iPhone or Android devices." So does that mean you won't have full use of the trainer via the PC?

"If you are updating from a PC the use of a Bluegiga USB dongle is necessary, this can be purchased from www.Saris.com" It isn't clear from that statement if the dongle is only needed for updates via a PC, or if the dongle is only needed when the PC doesn't have Bluetooth built in . . . but the statement caught my eye given your circumstances.