Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 02:38 PM

When people crap on Inn n Out, they always forget one thing.

Inn n Out is DIRT CHEAP!

When you compare to Five Guys, Shake Shack, What a Burger, we're talking double and sometimes triple the money.

For the quality of food you get, the extremely consistent product (no franchising), the fact that the workers are friendly and paid well, I'll support Inn n Out over any other fast food chain.

My order: grilled cheese veggie sandwich (no meat) with raw and grilled onions (texture baby), add chopped chilies. Fries well done, and a Coke with a wedge of lemon. It's heaven when I'm feeling it. On cold days I'll get a hot chocolate to go with those space food marshmellows because where else sells a completely *****ty hot chocolate?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

what really made it stupid for me, is that the place was located on a highway and the lines to get in the lot backed up the highway for miles on the shoulder which effed traffic up for like a week.

That happens everyday here in Canada for Tim Hortons coffee. Cars lined up into the street trying up traffic just so someone doesn’t have to get out of their car to get a coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM

Ok..

I will admit I waited in a ridiculous line once to buy a case of Heady Topper up in VT.

But I was a mile or two from the distributor (staying at my parents house in VT) and it was an easy thing to do. This was back when the stuff was really really hard to get.

It wasn't like the guy in front or behind me who drove from like Maryland or Ohio just to wait in line to buy beer. I had just rolled out of bed, drove 10 minutes, and sat and read a book for a while. I had gotten in line 2 hours before the delivery and was 11th in line. The people further down the line didn't get to buy as much beer.

I don't even really like Heady Topper anymore.. it gives a massive headache compared to a lot of newer brew that taste just as good.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
"Those are good burgers, Walter. ..."
Yer damn skippy they are good. Points for the Lebowski quote!!!

I def dig I&O. For me, it's a ritual when I drive from OR to CA. It used to be the first one was in Redding. Coincidentally, the half way point between my house and Sea Otter Classic. So I'm always jazzed when I go to I&O.

I will not wait in long lines though. I don't get the phenomena of folks waiting in these lines. We now have I&O in Oregon. I don't go as the lines are stupid long.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
"Those are good burgers, Walter. ..."

“Hamburgers: the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.”
Old 11-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Just thought of another wait in line thing - Franklins BBQ. better get there by 8 am if you want to get lunch.

That food would be worth it though, brisket and ribs.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:15 PM

One of my favorite movies ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Old 11-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
When people crap on Inn n Out, they always forget one thing.

Inn n Out is DIRT CHEAP!

When you compare to Five Guys, Shake Shack, What a Burger, we're talking double and sometimes triple the money.

For the quality of food you get, the extremely consistent product (no franchising), the fact that the workers are friendly and paid well, I'll support Inn n Out over any other fast food chain.

My order: grilled cheese veggie sandwich (no meat) with raw and grilled onions (texture baby), add chopped chilies. Fries well done, and a Coke with a wedge of lemon. It's heaven when I'm feeling it. On cold days I'll get a hot chocolate to go with those space food marshmellows because where else sells a completely *****ty hot chocolate?
This right here. All of this. Stop comparing In n Out to your favorite yuppy burger place.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
One of my favorite movies ever.

Concur! Biggie Lebowski is up there for me too.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Yes, but that's a Big Kahuna Burger - not I&O. Not even a Royale with cheese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Just thought of another wait in line thing - Franklins BBQ. better get there by 8 am if you want to get lunch.

That food would be worth it though, brisket and ribs.
That's more of an experience versus fast food. Also, you're not sitting in a car spewing noxious gases while you wait. Plus, you can bring a lawnchair and beer to help with the wait.

Texbike
Old 11-23-2020, 03:46 PM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Years ago the long defunct fast food chain, Ginos, was reintroduced in MD. The first week had lines out the door. For freaking fast food! Long after the lines went away I tried one of their burgers. It was Five Guys price at McDonald's quality. I could not believe people would wait hours for In and Out. I don't think I would wait hours for anything unless I had no other choice. Of course I scratch my head when crowds wait all day to get a glimpse of some celebrity or politician.

Tim

I remember Ginos in early 80’s and you’re right not worth the $ for the Mc d’s quality.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:50 PM

It's funny, I live in the pasadena/san gabriel area and yeah they are popular. I'd say the burger is better than McDonalds or Burger King, aka "level one fast food" burgers. But not better than a lot of the dedicated burger places, i.e "level 2", places, plus newer indie efforts (i.e. Burgers Never Say Die and a few others - and a lot of them have sprung up in LA from idle and unemployed, highly talented chefs laid off from proper sit down restaurants).

I am somewhat spoiled...good patties by good chefs...i.e. April Bloomfield had a good one in one of her places that was something like 60% lamb. Sadly her business partner was a crook and predator and that empire crumbled into the dust...

There was an article on fries too - they use a fresh potato which sounds good on paper but leads to soggier fries bc too much moisture, potatoes not always in season, etc etc. I forgot where I read it.

It also seems quick but everywhere there's always a line, even in the one in the rest stop in the middle of nowhere on the I5 somewhere between LA and SF that everyone stops at for a bathroom break...(or maybe especially)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:50 PM

We (the neighborhood) made a ruckus when In-n-Out proposed a new franchise nearby, we threw everything at them with zoning, bombarding corporate with calls and emails, bad local publicity etc until they lost interest in the location. The objective was to promote and protect local businesses from big chains predatory practices. We won , and the site will likely be a new mom and pop diner, once Covid restrictions ease some more.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
... what really made it stupid for me, is that the place was located on a highway and the lines to get in the lot backed up the highway for miles on the shoulder which effed traffic up for like a week.
This happens daily a two local Dunkin' Donuts shops, and it's not due to a grand opening.

Cars will queue up in the travel lane of the road FROM BOTH DIRECTIONS, snarling morning commute traffic to get into the DnD drive through. REALLY?

You'd think it was a methadone clinic. Coffee addicts are pathetic.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:15 PM
mentholated

excuse you.