Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
generally speaking, with electronics, buy what you need now or maybe a bit more. the truth is, these purchases are consumable and nothing is a forever purchase. and, if you want a 1TB SSD and 32gb RAM you will pay for it. so just be sure you really want/need it since you are saying budget is a concern
Just to clarify what I did. I set my desktop up with a small SSD to run the OS and application software. All image storage is done on external spinning platters hard drives. I'm sure SSD's are coming down in price from when I did it but still not what you want for archival storage of the image files.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:23 PM
LateStart

Consider a desktop?

If you are on a tight budget and want expandability, a desktop will give you more flexibility. You can add memory, disk, etc.

i7 or i9

Separate topic, the new apply M-chips are monsters on Adobe apps and have native apps in Beta already.

++ on external monitors.

++ Logitech Craft keyboard is awesome.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:02 PM

I use a gaming computer. 17" ASUS Republic of Gamers that I got from COSTCO. it was a good price with a large SSD, a high end video card, big hard drive and a very nice screen.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:19 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Just to clarify what I did. I set my desktop up with a small SSD to run the OS and application software. All image storage is done on external spinning platters hard drives. I'm sure SSD's are coming down in price from when I did it but still not what you want for archival storage of the image files.
I salute you
Old 11-21-2020, 03:33 AM

I know you said Windows and if that's firm then the xps range are hard to go past.

If Mac is an option the new Air with the apple silicon looks incredible. If you can wait 6 months there is bound to be a touchscreen version
Old 11-22-2020, 07:09 AM

if you decide to go with an XPS, avoid the 2-in-1 models - they have been a warranty/repair disaster in my field (IT guy)
i've been using a slightly older XPS (9570) 15" model for work a couple years now, it's had it's issues for sure with drivers and hardware. i'd recommend three-year hardware warranty if you can get it, though even with that, Dell is backordered on a lot of parts.

typically a video card that is gaming oriented isn't much help for the kind of graphical loads you get working with photos, that's much more CPU than GPU. as long as the video output supports the monitor resolution you're going to run, adding more video card horsepower isn't going to gain you much of anything.

have alwmays done my photo and personal stuff on a Mac - just ordered a new Mac Mini M1, a couple weeks out on delivery though. iPad Pro and 4 year old macbook pro will hold out until that arrives... really i do vastly more editing on the iPad Pro.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
typically a video card that is gaming oriented isn't much help for the kind of graphical loads you get working with photos, that's much more CPU than GPU. as long as the video output supports the monitor resolution you're going to run, adding more video card horsepower isn't going to gain you much of anything.
It's been a while since I had to spec any hardware for Lightroom / PS workflows, but I'd like to throw in another viewpoint. If my memory serves me properly Lightroom utilizes GPU within the Develop module, which is what may be used the most for enthusiast shooters.

Again the caveat is I've been out of the game for a while, so I may be completely wrong.

Along with the general trend for graphics SW vendors to start leaning more on GPU power, it may not be something to disregard in entirety. Which exact GPU's and technology are a different conversation.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:54 PM

Agree w/ the Apple machines with M1 chips.

Even w/ the older Intel chips, for 2D imaging, I feel that Apple has always had an advantage as they will give you better calibrated screens on their pro models. You have the option of photoshop and lightroom, capture one, on both PC and Mac but the Mac ecosystem has such gems as Pixelmator, Affinity, Luminar, etc. Now, besides overall additional speed, you also get dedicated hardware on-board not just for graphics but for a lot of the newer AI statistical image optimization functions on the M1 due to the neural engine (similar to GPU but it's better focused on the matrix math some of the AI functions rely on).

Pixelmator Super Zoom function is pretty cool....

There's another conversation too about how Intel will probably circle down the drain, unless it gets an (old-Apple) style come-to-god shakedown and makeonver...

Last edited by tylercheung; 11-23-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:14 PM

OP Here

Hi Guys/Gals

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks as if I will likely go with a Dell XPS 15, I9 processor, 32gb, 1T storage, and Nvida 1610 GPU. I am very much a Windows guy which prompted a PC vs a Apple product....much to my wife's dismay.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:22 PM

I have a 2015 15" macbook pro - 16gb ram, 256mb SSD and by today's standards pretty pedestrian graphics, although it does have a dedicated card.

It runs the current version of Lightroom just fine, with Fuji XT4/X100F RAW Files, so ~50mb per file. Some things could be a *little* faster but its also a hobby not a profession. If it were the latter, I'd probably invest in the mac desktop.

So, I would advise that you dont need to go too nuts with your specs. Obviously more RAM and graphics power will be the best money spent here, I wouldnt feel you need to top out every option to get what you need. Also think really hard about your storage situation - upgrading internal SSD's can get pretty expensive, but, that shouldnt be your long term photo storage. I would save money on the SSD and instead invest a couple bucks in a NAS w/ cloud backup for file storage - Synology NAS can be setup with a mirrored RAID 0 for a few hundred $$.

And last thing, I would run far away as fast I could from a Dell. I've seen nothing but problems from them for the past several years and you will be disappointed in the long run. I've had my Mac now for 5+ years and it has had not a single issue. I dont remember the last time I rebooted it that wasnt for a system upgrade - Its got a battery issue now, and I took it into the Apple store 5 minutes away and they are replacing my 5 year old battery it for free - good luck getting that level of service from Dell - and my Mac still has a $600-800 resale value should I want to move into a new one. A 5 year old Dell is worthless.

Good luck - share some photos

Last edited by .RJ; 11-24-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
Hi Guys/Gals

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks as if I will likely go with a Dell XPS 15, I9 processor, 32gb, 1T storage, and Nvida 1610 GPU. I am very much a Windows guy which prompted a PC vs a Apple product....much to my wife's dismay.
XPS is a good buy. Just picked one up to replace a five yr old Dell Latitude.

Couple of things to keep in mind. CPUs generally aren't moving that fast anymore and you can plan to get 4-5 years out of your machine. In most cases springing for the 4yr warranty makes sense IMO. Getting the best screen you can afford does a quite a bit for future proofing your laptop. Highly recommend the 4k screen.

RAM is easy to upgrade from a 3rd party so no need to get it all from Dell if the numbers don't make sense. Crucial with lifetime warranty is $233 for 64GB. Minimum SSD HD I'd get would be 512MB, but don't feel you need to spring for the 1 or 2TB now. As others have said making sure you have backups (cloud, external, NAS) would initially be money better spent. SSDs are a lot more reliable than spinning rust, but eventually they'll fail too.

Lastly make sure to check out the Dell Outlet. Lot of decent deals particularly when there is a promo code. I picked up my XPS 15 (32GB, 1TB, 4k, 4yr ext war, i7) for $1809 all in.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
RAM is easy to upgrade from a 3rd party
Unless you get a Mac.

Careful, that RAM upgrade may also void your warranty.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Not sure where the rumor-mongering is coming from since it's easily searchable. RAM upgrades will not void your warranty, the new RAM will just not be covered under the original warranty.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
Not sure where the rumor-mongering is coming from since it's easily searchable. RAM upgrades will not void your warranty, the new RAM will just not be covered under the original warranty.
I havent read the fine print, just a consideration as warranties have gotten awful tight these days.

But, with a new Mac you cant upgrade later so choose carefully.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Unless you get a Mac.

That's the big reason I won't buy a Mac laptop. Everything is hard soldered, including the hard drive. Basically, you can't upgrade or easily make repairs to the machine, except by plugging something into a port. Also, no touch screen.