Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM
Randomhead

I didn't realize they were that cheap, but then again I didn't know they were still around. But are those the bikes people are buying right now? I don't think so. I think you would be giving those frames away here in the classifieds. At least you can get discs for an extra $150. But no word about tire clearance.

I do know some randonneurs that have bought Mercians recently. I think they are a bit more attuned to the needs of randonneurs than what I see on the BJC website. There is very little information there, unless it's buried somewhere.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 PM

I knew I had this somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201016_134217.jpg (118.7 KB, 248 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 PM

I have always like their brand and rode one for a summer when I was a kid.

God knows how they kept the lights on with the prices they charged. Just the metal alone costs them about $250-$300....add to that expendables (cutters, abrasives, flux, silver rod...etc - about $100/frame) and then paint. They were working for a few bucks an hour. Far below minimum wage.

One wonders if they might still be afloat if they charged more and then could pay more to young people wanting to learn the craft.

It makes me sad.

dave
Old 10-16-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
One wonders if they might still be afloat if they charged more and then could pay more to young people wanting to learn the craft.
Exactly what I was thinking. Their low prices may have been their slow downfall. With some marketing and sales push they might have been able to charge 2x and 3x their prices and still be under market, having the money and time to train younger people. I'm sure having an aging workforce also can't adapt to COVID conditions well on number of fronts. Sad. When I first got into cycling in the early 2000s and refreshed Fixed Gear Gallery everyday, this bike always jumped out to me as an all time dreamy track bike:

Old 10-16-2020, 01:33 PM

No surprise really. I never see any younger cyclists riding this type of frame construction in England. It's all cheap carbon from you know where, and cheap aluminium...also from you know where. I was at my train station a couple of days ago with my 1980s lugged steel rando bike and an old fella came up to me and started chatting about his Mercian and his Jackson. A nostalgia moment. That generation of riders has aged and is dying out, like Jackson's employees. The frames will last long after they're all dead, but who will ride them?

There are quite a few UK brands/ designers, but not that many manufacturers. Nothing compared to the US, with its much bigger domestic market. If the UK strikes a trade deal with the US and bike import duties and taxes go to zero or near zero then UK builders will struggle. Not sure the UK government sees UK bike manufacturers as a priority for protection or even consideration at all.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:39 PM
Too Few Miles

Super Tourist

Here's the Bob Jackson I have.

It was willed to me by my dad. He bought it in '82 and used it as a daily rider for about 15 years before he got his first Serotta.

What's sort of funny in retrospect is that I was always asking him if he was done with it, could I have it, since I really love how it rides. His answer was always a laughing "no - you can't have it, you can borrow it, when I'm not here anymore, then you can have it". He wasn't kidding - he put it in his will as a joke!!!

Anyway, this is how he had it set up. And other than a change of tires and fresh cables, chain etc, that's how it is being used.

Still rocking the front water bottle cage too!

Joel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bob Jackson.pdf (142.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
No surprise really. I never see any younger cyclists riding this type of frame construction in England.
This kind of bike is a Veblen good at this point -- higher price is better. If there still was a fixed gear market, they would be overpriced, but other than that, the kind of people that want a bike like this are not really looking for low prices. Or they would think that $1500 is a low price, which it is if the builder wants to make a living.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
This kind of bike is a Veblen good at this point -- higher price is better. If there still was a fixed gear market, they would be overpriced, but other than that, the kind of people that want a bike like this are not really looking for low prices. Or they would think that $1500 is a low price, which it is if the builder wants to make a living.
There's not a big enough market for that type of frame at that price. Plastic bikes with stealth paint jobs are so very cool.

Additive manufacture could be an interesting inflection moment for custom geometry lugged frames, if someone can work out a sustainable business model.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Mine was ordered the winter of 1971-1972 through a local rider/racer/tourist who did a combined order of several frames and built them up himself. I was connected to him by Sheldon Brown whom I met in the fall of 1971 when I rode my Peugeot UO8 into the Bicycle Revival for something, and Sheldon helped me spec the components. Suntour derailleurs and barcons; Lyotard Marcel Berthet pedals on TA Cyclotourist cranks 48-34 (compact!); Campy hubs with Mavic rims; Mafac centerpull brakes; Campy seatpost, Brooks Pro saddle, Cinelli bars and stem. Fitting for fenders and both front and rear racks, clearance for 32s.

I had to ask specifically for them to leave off a lot of the decals, in those days the frames were covered in decals. The ends of the stays and fork were chrome.

I've attached the front of the catalog, the page on the Olympus model, and the price sheet, as well as the order letter sent to Jackson. I paid $370 for the whole bike IIRC.

Rode it this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0149 copy.jpg (101.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0151 copy.jpg (108.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150 copy.jpg (98.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0147 copy.jpg (81.3 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by NHAero; 10-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Too Few Miles

^^^^^ This is just fantastic! The bike is lovely and this just puts it over the top. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:31 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

I tried to get a position at Bob Jackson.
It didn't work out.
So I kept looking.
Alas.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM

I’m glad this news has brought back some memories, if nothing else.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I tried to get a position at Bob Jackson.

It didn't work out.

So I kept looking.

Alas.

What a piece of history!

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Very cool historical background! Awesome.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Too Few Miles

Amazing and thank you for sharing.

As they say...when one door closes...

Wow!