Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
excellent point and I just saw that yesterday. even though I just got the 11pro, that deal is compelling. will need to talk to someone in the store since I am not adding a new line and already have unlimited. those seem to be the eligibility criteria with ATT
Yeh all the carriers are running their own promo, but the most effective way seems to be switching carriers. But if you’re an existing customer, I hear some carriers are giving a “loyalty” discount for staying with them. Worth checking out in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I was excited to see this, i mainly got an XS max that is just a few months old and basically would be an awesome trade in, and would break even on the purchase price/trade in value. But then I saw that you have to “add a line” on top of the trade in for the full $850. I don’t have the need to add a line, let alone the extra $40 a month that it would be for that. Did you have to add a line to get that trade in value with T mob?
Right, so you need to have at least 2 lines. If you’re in a family plan, it makes total sense, or even to get in one with someone to get the promo. These are the terms:

Compared to our new monthly bill, we were paying 20% more on Verizon previously and that was with our older phones already paid off. I’ll take this deal this time around and then when the next design rolls around in a few years, we’ll see what carriers offer again.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
At the risk of being labeled an anachronism, I bet I'm the only person on this forum that does not have a smart phone and still uses a flip phone.

I'm retired Army, living in rural North Texas. I use a lap top at home for all Internet uses and just don't feel a need to carry around a computer in my pocket. I do know that one of these days it will die and I'll be forced to buy something more sophisticated, but until then, it works and fulfills my needs just fine.

And it fits my jersey pockets perfectly!
I have a laptop that was state-of-the art when I purchased it 5 years ago. It is great with my old Computrainer and but gets used for little else. I use my iPad and iPhone for everything else. I use a BT keyboard with my iPad, and can access my office and use Word, Outlook and anything else I need. I wear my Apple Watch while riding, but still often carry my phone.

I was at Verizon yesterday comparing the sizes of the new iPhones, I think I am leaning to the iPhone 12 Pro Max. It’s bigger, but still will fit in a pocket, and a back jersey pocket. The extra screen real estate will be far easier on my eyes.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Yeh all the carriers are running their own promo, but the most effective way seems to be switching carriers. But if you’re an existing customer, I hear some carriers are giving a “loyalty” discount for staying with them. Worth checking out in any case.

Right, so you need to have at least 2 lines. If you’re in a family plan, it makes total sense, or even to get in one with someone to get the promo. These are the terms:

Compared to our new monthly bill, we were paying 20% more on Verizon previously and that was with our older phones already paid off. I’ll take this deal this time around and then when the next design rolls around in a few years, we’ll see what carriers offer again.

Actually, I am on Fam plan with 2 lines, T mob. So I may be misunderstanding the whole thing then? I thought you had to add one more (3 total).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-24-2020, 07:24 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
I am too. 5G will take awhile. Every phone is incrementally better, and takes it's place on the mantle as "best iPhone ever". I cannot get caught up in the arms race. as evidenced by this. my 3rd iphone. 3G, 5 (yes FIVE. period. not 5s or SE) and now 11 Pro 256.

I got it through an AAPL employee so her discount offset the Apple Care. Which, I felt compelled to get since it cost more than some used Bora One 35s.

The screaming deal though is the iPhone SE 2020 128gb at Walmart...still $200 off so $250+tax.

If you love your phone sure get the 12. Everyone else get the new SE. it's the A13 chip in the body of the 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Best way to get the most out of upgrades is to upgrade whenever there is a new design. Designs last anywhere from 2-4 years and the in-between years are much more minor iteratively speaking.

This is also a good year to upgrade because with 5G, all the carriers are giving major promos for people to switch over. They don’t want people going over to the other guy with the new networks being out.

I just got $680 trade in for my 3 year old iPhone X and my wife got $830 for her iPhone XS from T-Mobile. $5 per month for a brand new pro phone, don’t even have to hesitate imo.
Today I started the trade-in process to turn my 11Pro 256 into a 12Pro 256. I won't bore you with the math but after thinking it through and realizing i did not lose money on my 11Pro the result is that getting the 12Pro essentially restarts my commitment at a discounted $300 over 30 months. Been on ATT and happy with the service for a looong time, so locking me up for 30 months same phone same carrier is not a big deal. $800 trade-in value is overwhelmingly compelling and look at me, I have 5G! small hand clap....

Last edited by pdmtong; 10-24-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Today I started the trade-in process to turn my 11Pro 256 into a 12Pro 256. I won't bore you with the math but after thinking it through and realizing i did not lose money on my 11Pro the result is that getting the 12Pro essentially restarts my commitment at a discounted $300 over 30 months. Been on ATT and happy with the service for a looong time, so locking me up for 30 months same phone same carrier is not a big deal. $800 trade-in value is overwhelmingly compelling and look at me, I have 5G! small hand clap....
Well, my wife has expressed the desire to get the iPhone 12 as well. But it is an additional line cost since it requires an upgrade to that ATT unlimited plan (after the trade in of the XR,) which is totally not necessary in our case.

So, I am just going to give her the iPhone 12 when I get it from work and I will use the XR and upgrade 2 years later. It will be much better that the crappy Android phone I have.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I've been with ATT for nearly 25 years and don't see myself switching carriers. The last iPhone I bought was a 5. I carried insurance and after I sat in a kiddie pool for 45 minutes with it in my pocket a few years ago they replaced it with a 6s. Battery life isn't what it used to be. I'd be happy with an SE I'm sure.

Am I best served just going to ATT to buy a new SE? What should I do with this 6s?
Old 10-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Embracing my

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
At the risk of being labeled an anachronism, I bet I'm the only person on this forum that does not have a smart phone and still uses a flip phone.

I'm retired Army, living in rural North Texas. I use a lap top at home for all Internet uses and just don't feel a need to carry around a computer in my pocket. I do know that one of these days it will die and I'll be forced to buy something more sophisticated, but until then, it works and fulfills my needs just fine.

And it fits my jersey pockets perfectly!
Nope, you are not alone. I have a Verizon (Orbic) flip phone that I got new when we switched carriers last year. Only really cool people are allowed to still carry flip phones, you and I are a rare breed.

Full disclosure, my wife has an i phone 10. She's in charge of looking things up and directions when we are on the road.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:43 PM

The question I have, since the screen is made of a harder, more durable glass, is it still worth it to put a screen protector on it?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The question I have, since the screen is made of a harder, more durable glass, is it still worth it to put a screen protector on it?
Drop test results here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQc2jW_A3ik
Old 10-26-2020, 07:13 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
PSA: fly in the ointment. My current unlimited plan DOES NOT support 5G. so there's the fine print. sure, go get that 5G phone. but oh btw that deeply discounted plan you have? guess what - it only supports 4G LTE...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I've been with ATT for nearly 25 years and don't see myself switching carriers. The last iPhone I bought was a 5. I carried insurance and after I sat in a kiddie pool for 45 minutes with it in my pocket a few years ago they replaced it with a 6s. Battery life isn't what it used to be. I'd be happy with an SE I'm sure.

Am I best served just going to ATT to buy a new SE? What should I do with this 6s?
look at walmart.com. i do not think the discount is $200 on the SE anymore (my wife got her SE 128gb for $250), but its still deep.

Quote:
For this iPhone12 I am going full retro. no apple care. no screen protector. no case. it will be as Steve originally envisioned. I put my mitts on the Pro in blue today at the local AAPL store and oh yes, love going back to the iphone 4/5 form factor
Old 10-26-2020, 08:30 PM

All of the cell companies in the U.S. make most of their plans and configurations way more complicated than they need to be. I was looking at switching to Verizon from T-Mobile today to get the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, but in the end it was so complex to switch and a bunch of cash more a month so wasn't worth it. T-mobile then offered me $500 back trade in for my 11Pro, with zero down (not even the taxes), and only $20 a month extra on my plan for the new phone. Seems like a really good deal, which leaves me wondering why Verizon are so expensive in general?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones78 View Post
Seems like a really good deal, which leaves me wondering why Verizon are so expensive in general?
In my experience the Verizon network is better. Better cover with fewer dropped calls. That said, dropped calls are increasing dramatically in the past year even on V-to-V calls.

I do wish these premium telephones were actually good telephones. They actually suck at their primary function. Even the best of them.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
PSA: fly in the ointment. My current unlimited plan DOES NOT support 5G. so there's the fine print. sure, go get that 5G phone. but oh btw that deeply discounted plan you have? guess what - it only supports 4G LTE...

look at walmart.com. i do not think the discount is $200 on the SE anymore (my wife got her SE 128gb for $250), but its still deep.

For this iPhone12 I am going full retro. no apple care. no screen protector. no case. it will be as Steve originally envisioned. I put my mitts on the Pro in blue today at the local AAPL store and oh yes, love going back to the iphone 4/5 form factor
Man, I really want a durable iPhone. I've been lucky up until now but regret buying the iPhone XS as I sit here with a cracked back (can not be fixed) and now a cracked screen as go a couple weeks ago. I still owe $400 on the thing and have Apple Care+ with allows me the pleasure of giving Apple $99 on Wed for a new phone. I feel like trading that back in and getting a 12 mini. The XS feels perfect if a little big in my hand with no case. I just use my phone for text, calls and email with some Instagram thrown in. I don't stream anything and have never watch a movie etc. on a phone in my life.

I'll probably just get the new XS on warranty and a damn Otterbox or something.

Come on Apple make a mil-spec phone
Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Man, I really want a durable iPhone. I've been lucky up until now but regret buying the iPhone XS as I sit here with a cracked back (can not be fixed) and now a cracked screen as go a couple weeks ago. I still owe $400 on the thing and have Apple Care+ with allows me the pleasure of giving Apple $99 on Wed for a new phone. I feel like trading that back in and getting a 12 mini. The XS feels perfect if a little big in my hand with no case. I just use my phone for text, calls and email with some Instagram thrown in. I don't stream anything and have never watch a movie etc. on a phone in my life.

I'll probably just get the new XS on warranty and a damn Otterbox or something.

Come on Apple make a mil-spec phone

Putting a glass back on these phones seems dumb. Most people put a case on the phone so who cares if the back looks fancy? Further, a glass back makes the phone more fragile, heavier, and probably more expensive as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Putting a glass back on these phones seems dumb. Most people put a case on the phone so who cares if the back looks fancy? Further, a glass back makes the phone more fragile, heavier, and probably more expensive as well.
Glass back is necessary for wireless charging.