Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Thread drift - As far as a phone fitting in your jersey pocket, I too had this stuck in my head as a SE original user, i just didn't want a big phone, until I got an apple watch w/ cellular and air pods. Game changer for me. Phone stays home.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 AM

I would like to get the mini, but they removed the telephoto lens and kept the ultra wide angle lens, which I rarely use. I also wish they had a fingerprint sensor as well as Face ID, and put the fingerprint sensor on the side or back of the phone, or build it into the screen. Face ID doesn't work with a mask on, but the fingerprint sensor doesn't work with long fingered gloves either.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:37 AM

I'm pretty sure making the 2-camera versions wide + ultra wide was a very deliberate decision to try and get people to buy the Pro versions.

wide + ultra wide is like the least logical selection to put in the less expensive phones in terms of being useful. Either wide + telephoto or ultra wide + telephoto would be way more useful & practical but would reduce sales of the "Pro" models.

As far as point and shoot cameras I already gave up use of mine a few phones ago.. anything short of a big APS-C/35mm DSLR or Mirrorless camera is pretty pointless IMO now.

Phones haven't had zoom lenses but zoom lenses on point and shoot digital cameras have typically been so bad the prime lenses on the phones closed the gap big time. And using a separate digital camera would have nearly as much hassle as a DSLR in terms of using a computer to access/share the photos while barely shooting better photos than the phone.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 AM

I've had the iPhone X for a few years now and am really intrigued by the new mini-sized phone. The current phone isn't too big for me or anything, just think the mini size would be more convenient for sports...
Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'm pretty sure making the 2-camera versions wide + ultra wide was a very deliberate decision to try and get people to buy the Pro versions.

wide + ultra wide is like the least logical selection to put in the less expensive phones in terms of being useful. Either wide + telephoto or ultra wide + telephoto would be way more useful & practical but would reduce sales of the "Pro" models.

As far as point and shoot cameras I already gave up use of mine a few phones ago.. anything short of a big APS-C/35mm DSLR or Mirrorless camera is pretty pointless IMO now.

Phones haven't had zoom lenses but zoom lenses on point and shoot digital cameras have typically been so bad the prime lenses on the phones closed the gap big time. And using a separate digital camera would have nearly as much hassle as a DSLR in terms of using a computer to access/share the photos while barely shooting better photos than the phone.
well said. it seems like ultra-wide is great, but telephoto would be a lot more useful. I like the U-W for scenery shots but it's generates edge distortion if any subject is too close.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I'm thinking of changing networks. I'm on Verizon but it's expensive. I'm wondering how good T-mobile is in comparison.
Tmobile isn't as good as Verizon, nothing is. I've got TMobile and it works well enough for me. Can't beat the price of two unlimited lines +data at $55 for those of us older than 55.

As I type, they're installing 5G 'towers' in my neighborhood. They're not really towers though, more like utility poles.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
A 7 is overkill then. Just get a flip phone.
At the risk of being labeled an anachronism, I bet I'm the only person on this forum that does not have a smart phone and still uses a flip phone.

I'm retired Army, living in rural North Texas. I use a lap top at home for all Internet uses and just don't feel a need to carry around a computer in my pocket. I do know that one of these days it will die and I'll be forced to buy something more sophisticated, but until then, it works and fulfills my needs just fine.

And it fits my jersey pockets perfectly!
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Mini - waiting for a deal. Still rolling a 5SE...At some point, regardless of if you "need" the features, speed etc., you just have to upgrade due to ios updates and worn out batteries. I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth.
Batteries are easily replaceable at a good price. I have a 1st Gen SE on its second battery and it is great. Do not every want a giant phone. Glad that Apple is making smaller phones again.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:20 PM

Thinking about switching but only went to the last version not long ago so not sure it makes sense right away, but also moved North out of NYC and my cell service has gotten really bad - so maybe a change of provider makes sense anyway, which could bring a better deal for upgrading. The new camera advancements look amazing and the addition of the Lidar scanner on the Pro Max could mean not having to carry around a separate measuring tool for some work & AR uses. Love them or hate them, Apple do make great products!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Damn the telephoto lens is a good point. I might have to swing for the 12 Pro.

Then I won't need to carry a point and shoot ever.

I wish they changed to a 3x telephoto instead of 2x.

I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade since I have an 11 Pro.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:34 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I wish they changed to a 3x telephoto instead of 2x.
I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade since I have an 11 Pro.
the problem is if you have an 11Pro and upgrade, then what about next year? upgrade again? and again?

IMHO you are either in annually or pausing until there is a significant change.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
pausing until there is a significant change.
Heresy !!!!

You'll destroy the world economy.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
the problem is if you have an 11Pro and upgrade, then what about next year? upgrade again? and again?

IMHO you are either in annually or pausing until there is a significant change.

Best way to get the most out of upgrades is to upgrade whenever there is a new design. Designs last anywhere from 2-4 years and the in-between years are much more minor iteratively speaking.

This is also a good year to upgrade because with 5G, all the carriers are giving major promos for people to switch over. They don’t want people going over to the other guy with the new networks being out.

I just got $680 trade in for my 3 year old iPhone X and my wife got $830 for her iPhone XS from T-Mobile. $5 per month for a brand new pro phone, don’t even have to hesitate imo.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:41 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Best way to get the most out of upgrades is to upgrade whenever there is a new design. Designs last anywhere from 2-4 years and the in-between years are much more minor iteratively speaking.

This is also a good year to upgrade because with 5G, all the carriers are giving major promos for people to switch over. They don’t want people going over to the other guy with the new networks being out.

I just got $680 trade in for my 3 year old iPhone X and my wife got $830 for her iPhone XS from T-Mobile. $5 per month for a brand new pro phone, don’t even have to hesitate imo.
excellent point and I just saw that yesterday. even though I just got the 11pro, that deal is compelling. will need to talk to someone in the store since I am not adding a new line and already have unlimited. those seem to be the eligibility criteria with ATT

Last edited by pdmtong; 10-17-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post

I was excited to see this, i mainly got an XS max that is just a few months old and basically would be an awesome trade in, and would break even on the purchase price/trade in value. But then I saw that you have to “add a line” on top of the trade in for the full $850. I don’t have the need to add a line, let alone the extra $40 a month that it would be for that. Did you have to add a line to get that trade in value with T mob?