Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 AM

The mini is pretty compelling. The only real reasons to go for the pro models now are for bling and the cameras. They didn’t hold back on features for the non-pro models. Very good value now.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:03 AM

I'll probably upgrade from my 6S+, but I want to see how the 12 Mini actually feels in hand before committing. I'm definitely over the jumbo phone...
Old 10-15-2020, 07:11 AM
Two wheels good

I have an 11Pro and I basically hate it every single day based on the size. Using it with one hand is like the first day of guitar class. It will suck to give up the third (telephoto) lens but I'm willing to for a smaller phone.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I have an 11Pro and I basically hate it every single day based on the size. Using it with one hand is like the first day of guitar class. It will suck to give up the third (telephoto) lens but I'm willing to for a smaller phone.
The 11 pro is already way smaller than the pro max lol. I came from a 6S+ and honestly sometimes miss the bigger screen.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Have a 6S+,happy, paid for. Son has a 11, going to get a 12, wife gets the 11....My wife has a 5 something..teeny, words great.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Yes, 5G support is the driver for me.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM

I upgraded to a Samsung 9 when I lost my Samsung 6 about 2 years ago. The 6 was several years old. As long as I don't lose my 9 I figure I'm good for another 5 years.

A phone is just a tool, unlike a bike, which is a lover and an object of art.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 AM

I plan on getting the mini. Upgrading from an iPhone 7. I don't really the updated hardware but my screen and microphone are broken and I might as well buy the latest and greatest to have for another 3 to 4 years...
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM

Now the question is... should I buy now or wait for Black Friday or whatever for a slight deal? Willing to wait until December.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 AM

I'm thinking of changing networks. I'm on Verizon but it's expensive. I'm wondering how good T-mobile is in comparison.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I'm thinking of changing networks. I'm on Verizon but it's expensive. I'm wondering how good T-mobile is in comparison.
Depends on where you're located...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-15-2020, 09:05 AM
aka RAEKWON

I think I might get a mini. Lets see what kind of deals verizon will have tomorrow.

My iphone X still works fine and looks brand new but battery is going and I am always running out of space.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:08 AM

I have an 8 Plus, 3ish years old.

I might get a 12 Pro. (The smaller one). It's a good bit smaller than the 8 Plus but has a bigger screen.

The whole thing is they played games with the cameras that make it hard for me to resist the Pro.

I bought my wife an 11 for Xmas last year. The ultra wide lens is really nice.

But the 8 Plus I have has the Telephoto. The Telephoto is also super nice.

Gotta get the Pro to get all 3 lenses unfortunately.

I am most improved by the new water resistance. With a case with a strap it basically means the iPhone is now OK for snorkeling. I would be fairly happy if it's OK with that and I wouldn't ever care about a Go Pro anymore. I've been using a Go Pro Session for snorkeling for some years and being able to do that right on the phone and actually having a view finder would be a pretty big upgrade.

Prices suck but this is kind of a response to people keeping phones longer. They work well longer, they do a lot more, and they were always expensive people just didn't realize it cause it was subsidized by the phone company. I prefer to just pay for it straight up and everything is honest, I own the phone, I can use it on whatever network I want, etc..

I don't actually need to replace mine though.. it's still mostly great after 3 years.

The whole camera thing.. I'm getting closer and closer to wanting to ditch some of my traditional digital photography stuff. 3 lenses on the phone covers a lot of ground. It would cover 99% of what I do with my DSLR except the extreme Telephoto range. I am rarely printing large anymore so don't really care about the extreme quality, and the workflow with phones means more money saved on computers and less time sitting in front of a computer.

And shooting video right on a phone & editing it right on the phone is super fun. Takes all the work & pain out of it.

It's weird that people sit and stare at their phone when they're out and about. I get that. But in some sense if you're going to do something productive computer wise I think it's even worse to be walking off to the office and sitting in front of a computer there if it's a task that you can get done on the phone relatively quickly out wherever you are. You're not going to see me trying to write software on a phone.. but if no one cares about the difference in the quality of a photo that took an hour of work on a DSLR + computer vs 5 minutes with a phone I think getting back that 55 minutes is pretty sweet.

Last edited by benb; 10-15-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:45 AM

Mini - waiting for a deal. Still rolling a 5SE...At some point, regardless of if you "need" the features, speed etc., you just have to upgrade due to ios updates and worn out batteries. I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:52 AM

Related Topic ...

Anyone here have any experience with Spectrum Cell Service?

We already have Spectrum for cable and the discounts that they are offering for adding cell service are attractive. We currently have two phones with ATT.

Thanks for your input.