Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM

I would recommend Boone's Apple Farm. It'll mask the flavor of the dried out turkey your in-laws make, and if you have a couple glasses, give just the right amount of contact high to suffer through the rest of the meal. Winner!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Kudos make a nice pinot that goes well with turkey and falls in your price range. Angeline is a nice white and broadly available.

If you're OK with buying French, then LeFlaive Chablis for white and and nice Fleury red Rhone Villages would be good choices and not too far above your stated number. Note that both of those vintners also sell waaaaaaay upscale varietals that are vinyard-specific and cost several times your budget.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I would recommend Boone's Apple Farm. It'll mask the flavor of the dried out turkey your in-laws make, and if you have a couple glasses, give just the right amount of contact high to suffer through the rest of the meal. Winner!
That's Boone's Farm Apple Wine, my friend... you need to know your malt liquor lest you stray down the wrong path and wind up with Mogen David (MD) 20/20. Interestingly, Boone's is now malt based and not wine based and is a brand of E & J Gallo who will "make no wine before its time"
Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...ksgiving-wines
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
coffee consumer

get several BIG bottles of California chardonnay, open early and refill often.
Joe
Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Penfolds Grange Hermitage
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Some others to consider:

Reds
Pinot noir
The 2012 Sea Glass Pinot Noir($10), ** good value from Santa Barbara, cherry/raspberry flavors and some spice.
2011 Francis Coppola “Silver Label” Pinot Noir($15) **1/2 well structured, godfather approved. (Available at Total)
2009 Matua Valley Marlborough Pinot Noir, ($14)**1/2 cherry notes, medium body, with a floral, smoky perfume.
Beaujolais
2008 Georges Dubœuf Morgon Jean Descombes, $15 ** Loaded with aromas of black currant and roses, this Beaujolais is surprisingly jammy (fruity in the Beaujolais tradition) without being overpowering.
2009 Georges Dubœuf Morgon Jean Descombes, $16 *** Even better than the 2008 and top rated (93) (available at Total).
Syrah
2009 Flichman Syrah Barrancas, ($19) ***- Mendoza, Argentina- "...not a fan of Syrahs but this one is a bold potion loaded with flavor and highly rated (available at Total)
The 2011 J. Lohr “South Ridge” Syrah ($15) ** California spicy berry fruit, a hint of white pepper and firm tannins..
Rhône
2012 Robert Hall Cuvee de Robles ($18),** , California full-bodied, Rhône-style blend delivers a mouthful of berry flavors with a lingering spicy finish. Good with roasted meats
Italian Reds
2012 Allegrini Valpolicella Classico. ($17),** fruity, tart and a little spicy on the nose and tongue. (Available at Total)
2008 Pertinace Barbera d’Alba, $15 ** Well structured Barbera with hints of berry and spicy aromas from the Monferrato hills (SSE of Turin) of the Piedmont -a place you’d rather be riding this Thanksgiving than hanging out in New Jersey (just kidding).
Portugese Red
2010 Prazo de Roriz from Portugal’s Douro Valley. A great deal at $16.**1/2 from the land of port comes an interesting wine that’s very suitable to Thanksgiving food (handles the yams/cranberry sauce/turkey/stuffing). Think something like a Chianti classico or a well structured malbec.
Whites
Chardonnay
2011 Canoe Ridge Reserve Chardonnay ($16) **1/2 from Washington state has a fresh citrusy opening but ends with a buttery mouth feel that will cut the spice of the pumpkin pie or the tart sweetness of the cherry or apple pies.
2008 Hayman & Hill Russian River Valley Reserve Selection Chardonnay, ($14) ** Big and rich, lots of oak and fruit, with a buttery mouth feel and a solid finish, this wine easily works with Thanksgiving food.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM

I thank you for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
That's Boone's Farm Apple Wine, my friend... you need to know your malt liquor lest you stray down the wrong path and wind up with Mogen David (MD) 20/20. Interestingly, Boone's is now malt based and not wine based and is a brand of E & J Gallo who will "make no wine before its time"
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Not-so-Senior

Veuve Clicquot

My family is of the opinion that decent champagne goes with anything. We enjoy Veuve Clicquot for being not over the top, yet consistently delicious.

Nowadays, a bottle is over $42 at Costco, but there are a lot of good sparkling alternatives, inc. prosecco.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM

hey Scooter--are you in The Bay Area?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
BF used to pair well with a bit of wacky tobakky. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
hey Scooter--are you in The Bay Area?
No, but my uncle lives in San Francisco. I had a cousin who lived in Fremont, but he moved to Poulsbo, Washington (Puget Sound area) last year. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Oh yes, I've visited vineyards up and down the coast from the Williamette valley in Oregon down to Santa Barbara. I hope to hit Italy next summer. Perhaps I'll ride by these vineyards near Alba and sample some of their fine wines. A lot of the best wines never make it out of country.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Sparkling Burgundy... say Mitchell's, Andrew Garrett, Peter Rumball's.

What is this 'Thanksgiving' of which you speak?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 PM

Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin has always been a family favorite.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokeValley View Post
BF used to pair well with a bit of wacky tobakky. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...
the most wretched night of my entire life involved drinking an entire bottle of Strawberry Hill, smoking some killer Colombian, and then getting food poisoning...

projectile vomit with a distinct pinkish hue...lovely.