Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 PM

Let it go.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:14 PM

Issues with Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
Honestly I had a similar experience with this guy too. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt(stress or some other circumstance I have nothing to do with). I would post screenshots but the tapatalk app is giving me a hard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the seller is rude from your POV, but do realize that it is a seller market now and they can afford to be rude.

I had a mountain bike that I wanted from CL. Talked to the seller and even offered an amount above an existent offer. Only issue is that I couldn’t meet until the afternoon of next day. The bike was sold in the morning and the seller didn’t tell me until I asked about time to meet.

But it worked out since I ended up getting a better bike from eBay so that was a plus.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 PM

You know credit cards don't charge interest if you pay it off within the first billing period after the charge, right?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
You know credit cards don't charge interest if you pay it off within the first billing period after the charge, right?
Generally true if you haven't carried a balance for the previous period, and pay the balance in full this period. How is that relevant?
Old 11-26-2020, 12:07 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
While selling a bike this week...

No less than 50 inquiries...is it available?

Constant negotiations to lower price...although priced well.

From buyer for 2 days..asking to hold it...then cancel at time of pick up.

Finally sold to someone who came with cash.

Like I said priced to sell, actually only took several days, but huge pain the the a**.

Can’t even imagine having a buyer making an offer with potential money.

describing selling my 2013 moots CR (last year w/integrated seat binder) with '08 C10 and moots post...

it's ok to contact seller prior to having funds....but just say "hey I am interested won't be able to buy until xy date and if you still have it lmk or I will contact you"
Old 11-26-2020, 06:20 AM

Easy fix here. Start out the conversation with your situation. If the buyer agrees to your situation ask a question or two reassuring the seller that you are highly interested. I say interested because at this point your are not a buyer. Leave the door open for the seller to sell the bike to anyone that offers a deal in the interim Keep the seller updated on your status of full payment. Ask all the questions you would like but only when all your questions are answered you are able to pay and close the deal.

If it works out it works out. Don't waste each others time...

Last edited by huck*this; 11-26-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:28 AM

Just a bit more "Dad" insight; if you are waiting for payday, the money is very dear to you. Shipping costs will not be cheap. The seller is not the most patient person. The frame arrives and there is some issue. Now you have to deal with this seller separated by distance and potentially more money if there is a dispute and shipping costs. It could all work out fine, but there are enough potential issues that I might just walk away from this one. Save some extra money, and keep your eyes open for a local deal on a frame that might excite you even more.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
This has been the most headache I’ve ever had with a prospective purchase.
Geez, when ya have the $ and it's still available, restart the process.
'Color of money', is what's important. The rest is just the 'discussion' part.

I have a fair number of people who express interest in that or this wheelset..great to discuss but I don't start any 'process' until I either see the 'color of their money' or the hubset in my hands....

But as has been mentioned, until you have the funds, you are just in the discussion phase..with $ you are then in the 'potential buyer' phase.
Quote:
I know the seller is rude from your POV, but do realize that it is a seller market now and they can afford to be rude.
Not sure I'd call him rude..He wanted to sell the frame and(graciously) offered to pay part of the shipping..'Potential' buyer says he doesn't have the $ right then..so..yup, kinda a 'no', as seen by a seller, miles apart, on this really impersonal and not time sensitive thing called the interweb.

I have an idea!! Use that other 'feature' in that hand help computer, the 'phone' feature and call him...I'd bet a person to person conversation would result in a new frame goin to the buyer after Dec 1...

IMHO

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-26-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Let it go.
First thing that popped into my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkQk_bWXpA
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 AM

One more note on general level, PLEASE watch out for stolen goods. FB, Craigslist etc, people who act like jerks selling - perhaps they are fencing stuff and don't know jack sh*t about what it is.

(we fell victim to a very select PC that my daughter needed)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:05 AM

Apparently no one in this thread has ever worked in a sales job. Answering questions is a necessary part of the gig. If a question about how much something costs offends you, get ready to get offended on a constant and regular basis.

Asking a seller how much shipping costs is perfectly normal. Who as a buyer would not want that vital piece of information? It appears the frame is coming from outside the US and shipping will be a significant portion of the price paid. Again, who would not ask this question?

AFAIC, the seller has proven himself to be a prick and the OP should run away from this deal. There’s gonna be trouble if you deal with this guy. My fatherly advice is that if you’re trying to buy something and the seller starts out like an ass, then you need to keep your wallet in your pocket and look elsewhere. Never want —- anything —— bad enough that you get cheated by a seller like this.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Asking a seller how much shipping costs is perfectly normal. Who as a buyer would not want that vital piece of information? It appears the frame is coming from outside the US and shipping will be a significant portion of the price paid. Again, who would not ask this question?
Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think you've read the whole story. The buyer asks for the shipping cost, which you can appreciate takes a lot of time to figure out. The seller offers to share half the cost, so now he has skin in the game. The "buyer" then says he actually doesn't have the money at hand. In other words, no sale even if shipping were free. Now be the seller and see how you would feel.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think you've read the whole story. The buyer asks for the shipping cost, which you can appreciate takes a lot of time to figure out. The seller offers to share half the cost, so now he has skin in the game. The "buyer" then says he actually doesn't have the money at hand. In other words, no sale even if shipping were free. Now be the seller and see how you would feel.
We do seem to have a different understanding of this communication.
Seller never gave a shipping cost or total price that I can see. What is “If you pay full price I will pay half the shipping costs”? Its not an answer to “what is the total price”.

Seriously, everyone have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:37 AM

Wink

The seller seems unreasonably prickly. Easy enough to say “let’s pick this up when you have the money, but I’ll sell it to someone else if they offer before your finances are sorted”. As a seller, that’s having your cake and eating it too... or at least keeping as many irons in the fire as possible.

As a buyer, though, I wouldn’t ever approach a seller unless I was ready to buy. You just have a stronger hand in terms of negotiating. Plus, it saves wasting anyone’s time if I change my mind in between the message and coming into the money I need.

Generally I don’t shop - to the point that I’m serious enough to message someone - for things I don’t have the liquid cash for.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:49 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

It feels like this one is starting to get really repetitive.

If there is something we missed or something new that needs discussing, please start a new thread.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Closed Thread