Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 02:10 AM

I've been here 40 years. I would not ride a bike on the street regularly, especially commute. My only riding, when not running, is now Mtn. on the fireroads of the Verdugo Mountains in back of my house and an occasional venture out to the Valley to do the Santa Monicas. Or out to Cheeseboro/Ahmanson Ranch.

In my 40 years, I've lost too many friends on the road here. Casual weekend riders, serious athletes and commuters. And this was generally before the texting/ cellphone culture came into existence. Now.........

When you're younger - 20s, 30s, and even to middle 40s - you have more that sense of being fearless and that attitude of -- bring it on man, I'll ride anywhere at any time !

At 65, my feelings are now after seeing all the carnage and people paralyzed for life through the years - the road just ain't worth it.

I wish safe riding for all those that still have the passion.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 10-23-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Interesting the dichotomy of opinions here, but not surprising.

I'm in the "LA is a great place to ride" camp. We are moving back next month after 4 years in Austin and I'm very much looking forward to the riding vs. what I've been doing in Austin. We live in Manhattan Beach so accessibility to quieter city streets and the Strand is key for me. Austin had much more varied terrain right out my front door, but accessing the vast majority of it meant riding on a broad shoulder of a road with 55/65 mph traffic, which is a recipe for death if someone clips you. On top of that, drivers were WAY more aggressive against cyclists in Texas (honking, swerving, throwing stuff, "rolling coal" on me) than I ever experienced in LA.

Just like real estate, riding in LA is all about the location, but I think you'll find there are some pretty great options depending on where you settle. Part of the draw back for us is the ability to take short road trips to so many diverse areas around the state. Without a car this becomes a lot more challenging, so I'd encourage you to take the plunge with the car so you don't limit yourself just to the city.

Last edited by KJMUNC; 10-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 AM

Life in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotion View Post
... without a car, you'd be SEVERELY limiting yourself and cutting out access to some of the best things that this city has to offer...which are often the far corners, strange neighborhoods, surrounding environs, escapes, road trips, etc that are a short drive away.
This is the real LA ... Go Dodgers!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
. On top of that, drivers were WAY more aggressive against cyclists in Texas (honking, swerving, throwing stuff, "rolling coal" on me) than I ever experienced in LA. .
I've never experienced any of that in my 40 years here. So sorry, that's just the worst ! It's all just speeding and unobservant. By comparison , yes LA is mellow but it still doesn't change my view of the road here.

In my area , from my house in the Verdugo Woodlands, up through Montrose, La Canada, Descanso, Berkshire, Linda Vista, Rose Bowl on down to Trader Joes at Mission-- it's extremely nice, generally feel safe and beautiful scenery 365 days a year.

If there's a football game or concert event at the Bowl you have to start early though to miss the closures.

I'd stay off PCH on the weekends (unless very early) and away from the long stretches of streets in the North West Valley. They treat those streets like the freeway.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:47 AM
mentholated

the valley is so cool. everyone hates the valley.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
the valley is so cool. everyone hates the valley.
True that. Except when it's really hot. Then less so.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:19 PM

For local riding and commuting, I think it really depends on the neighborhood and street selection. I would not ride on the busy thoroughfares. I.e. I would not ride on La Cienega Blvd, or Venice blvd, even though I think those streets have dedicated bike lanes. But, I'm in the northeast foothills/San Gabriel area and you can easily map out low traffic routes on reasonably well maintained streets. However, agree that there is always a risk, esp w/ cellphones, etc. Definitely have to keep an eye out on intersections...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Also before you move here, get used to KPCC and download and listen to EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of "Off-Ramp"

https://www.scpr.org/programs/offramp/

If you never lived in California before, also download and watch EVERY SINGLE THING THIS GUY EVER DID.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 PM

We should have a party.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:14 PM

#lasucksforcycling

Old 10-23-2018, 04:54 PM

People who say it sucks should try the baldy/Glendora loop, it is pretty legit.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 PM

This is from about 2/3 up Nichols Canyon Rd., right in the middle of Hollywood. See those little ribbons of dirt? #lasucksforcycling
Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
People who say it sucks should try the baldy/Glendora loop, it is pretty legit.
It's tongue-in-cheek. All the best photos from riding in LA are tagged #lasucksforcycling on IG>
Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 AM

That's what I thought. Riding in triple digits is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
True that. Except when it's really hot. Then less so.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Definitely some polarized opinions about the city haha. I accepted the job offer today, so here i comeee.