Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Garmin Varia Radar advice, pls

Been thinking about this for a while. Clever Training has v1 on sale (light only) for $120; the new version light RTL510 is $200, available at $180 with their VIP program discount.

Form factor is different, weight about the same. Lumens and battery time have been upgraded.

500: Battery life (high power mode): 5 hour. 16 lumens
510: Up to 6 hours of battery life with solid mode, 6 hours on night flash & 15 hours on day flash. 20 lumens on solid mode, 29 lumens on night flash & 65 lumens on day flash.

For those who have a good handle on lighting or have used one or both, is the newer version worth the $60 difference? FWIW, my primary interest is the radar and I'm cool with having additional lighting like my Cygolight Hotshot, But if the all-in-one makes sense I certainly could go that way.

Last edited by teleguy57; 10-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:34 PM

Check out the super comprehensive review from DC Rainamaker. Spoiler - he loves the newer version.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 PM

I have the rear radar that is horizontally oriented and the newer one that is vertical.

Functionally, they are they same. I like the old form factor better because it makes it easier for me to get a saddle bag on. YMMV depending on how much post you have exposed.

The radar works and is easily used with a compatible Garmin computer. Occasionally the computer and the radar become un-paired, but it re-pairs fairly quickly. If you ride with the sunglass mounted Garmin HUD, it vibrates when traffic is near, which is great for situational awareness.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM

I've used the older style a lot. Friends use them, too. Don't think any of us could get 5 hours of battery life unless the LEDs are turned off. More like 4. With it off, I get maybe 7-8 hours.

Because of this, I want one of the new ones.

If you're not in a hurry, there's a good chance ebay will have another 15 or 20% off coupon before the end of the year. If you have a Target Red card you can get a $200 ebay gift card for $190, ebates is another 1 or 2% off...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM

have both.. I cant use the new one with my cycliq fly6 and saddle bag(not enough post for all that), but the old one I can.. so I use the old one most of the time. The both work equally well.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrchan View Post
Check out the super comprehensive review from DC Rainamaker. Spoiler - he loves the newer version.
Thanks; read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I've used the older style a lot. Friends use them, too. Don't think any of us could get 5 hours of battery life unless the LEDs are turned off. More like 4. With it off, I get maybe 7-8 hours.

Because of this, I want one of the new ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
have both.. I cant use the new one with my cycliq fly6 and saddle bag(not enough post for all that), but the old one I can.. so I use the old one most of the time. The both work equally well.
Good to know that radar functionality is the same on both. I ride with a tubular in a saddle bag so the horizontal orientation may be better for me on the seatpost. Anyone ride with either version. on a seatstay or non-post mount?

Appreciate all the input!
Old 10-18-2018, 03:08 PM

My wife has hers on her saddle bag, it's pointed down but still works.

They use quarter turn Garmin mounts, it might be easy to attach a stem mount to a seatstay clamp meant for some other light
Old 10-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Damn - I have been away from bike tech for a few years, but radar? Must check this out...
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 AM

I have both and the radar functionality is the same. However, the bright light on the newer version makes a big difference and is worth the extra $$.

I mount the units on my saddlebag loop with a Shapeways quarter turn mount. The mount has a small lip that helps the unit stay on the saddlebag.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZJ...li=marketplace