Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Not sold on the TRP brakes, definitely the least powerful and flexiest I own (including Deltas), may try a pad change before looking for some R600s.
i'm surprised to hear you say this!

i have two bikes running the TRP brakes, and in my experience they stop just as well as any other high end caliper i use, including record. i think any flex you might be experiencing may have to do with the cable routing and maybe not the best pads? i dont think it's the stiffness of the calipers themselves, based on my experience. maybe fiddle with the set-up a little before giving up on them - i really think they are excellent.

bike looks great by the way, and i think it's probably an excellent candidate for the type of riding you have access to up there. steel fork and fat tires help to smooth out the rough roads so you can enjoy the scenery !
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm surprised to hear you say this!

i have two bikes running the TRP brakes, and in my experience they stop just as well as any other high end caliper i use, including record. i think any flex you might be experiencing may have to do with the cable routing and maybe not the best pads? i dont think it's the stiffness of the calipers themselves, based on my experience. maybe fiddle with the set-up a little before giving up on them - i really think they are excellent.

bike looks great by the way, and i think it's probably an excellent candidate for the type of riding you have access to up there. steel fork and fat tires help to smooth out the rough roads so you can enjoy the scenery !
I probably should have prefaced my opinion by mentioning I haven't ridden anything other than Paul Racer Ms, Mini Motos, or Suntour XC-Pro cantis in over 10 years. All rigged up total weight on any of my bikes (and this one's the heaviest) is 260-265#.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the TRPs until the inevitable 35+ mph descent to a stop sign, which are so common around here, as I slowly rolled through the intersection while squeezing the levers with all my might. The solution may be no more than salmon pads and/or not riding this bike like I do my Potts with Racer Ms.

You are right, this should be a perfect road bike for around here. Considering my size and local road quality 38s are a minimum for care free riding.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:47 PM

A few more rides in the books and a lot of dialing. Swapped Hed+/Barlow Pass combo for lighter and stiffer A23/Bon Jon EL with latex tubes. First time trying ELs, the hype is legit. Also swapped a creaky, matchy seatpost (so that's why it was so far down my parts bin) for a much nicer, but silver, old Ritchey. MSW cages hold bottles much better than the previous American Classics. Stem previously at -16° shimmed to -12° for a bit less drop.

A very nice bike to ride, comfortable and stable. Relative to my Potts or Comare MAX, however, it isn't in it's happy place at speed or when pushed. The bike is an all day cruiser. That's fine with me, I still don't like high speeds with these brakes.

Today was errand day, pick-up at the CSA using a Tailfin rack system from Kickstarter. Truly an excellent product, lighter and much more rigid than the Tubus/Ortlieb set-up I'd previously used on my BMC MX. No waggle at all and although there is no bag mounting adjustability they clear my size 50s on 180s.

20181011_095755-1.jpg
20181011_095857-1.jpg
20181011_101317-1.jpg
20181011_101332-1.jpg
20181011_105531-1.jpg
20181011_105951-1.jpg

Last edited by donevwil; 10-11-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Sinter ember

Looks good.

They are definitely all-day bikes. Mine is flexy in the bottom bracket relative to my CAAD 12, so I get where you are coming from on the speed. It seems to be a steel frame thing. I haven't had an issue riding fast, and I've got about 8k miles on mine in about 2 years.

What are your thoughts on the Monster X relative to the road?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Looks good.

They are definitely all-day bikes. Mine is flexy in the bottom bracket relative to my CAAD 12, so I get where you are coming from on the speed. It seems to be a steel frame thing. I haven't had an issue riding fast, and I've got about 8k miles on mine in about 2 years.

What are your thoughts on the Monster X relative to the road?
My primary issue with riding this bike fast, downhill, are the brakes. Bike handles high speeds fine.

The Road and MX are very similar from the comfortable, stable and predictable perspective as well as the somewhat heavy feeling, don't respond well to increased output past a certain threshold perspective. The MX just more so.

Realize my data points are the largest sizes BMC make, 64cm road and the older version 65cm MX. Both suffer from the "stock bike so make larger sizes out of stouter tubing" syndrome. Not as bad as many manufacturers, but still what it is.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Hello there big brother. I picked up my 52cm frame from Mike on Saturday.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Nice^^!

The br-r600’s are quite awesome. Salmon kool stops and wow!!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Hello there big brother. I picked up my 52cm frame from Mike on Saturday.
Hey 'lil bro !

Your pic location looks very familiar, where is it?
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Hey 'lil bro !

Your pic location looks very familiar, where is it?
It's Beatty Drive in El Dorado Hills. Steep and long enough to be annoying on a hot day.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
It's Beatty Drive in El Dorado Hills. Steep and long enough to be annoying on a hot day.
My bad, never ridden that road as far as I know. Ridden in the general area a bit, however. Some good riding thereabouts.