Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM

Super technical? For most of us, no, more like challenging. Some are definitely technical (see below), but most of us can effectively assess conditions as we go. Most non car-bike wrecks in the Fondo are due to cyclists riding over their heads out of ego or a desire to hang with their group.

The primary trouble spots are the descent down to Houser Bridge (VERY steep, some off camber tight turns, wet in AM, cattle grates with a sharp turn and the bridge right at the bottom) and Coleman Valley (typical crap Sonoma County pavement, strong sun to shade to sun all but blinding the rider as he enters the next shady area and nails a pot hole).
Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. Nothing super technical. For me, the hardest part was I had never been on any of these roads and I wasn't willing to hang it out too much when I had no clue what was up ahead. They did have signs saying slow down or hairpin curve ahead which was great but really, you don't know what the road is like.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
are the descents super technical?

i remember this is the ride that they, at least for some period of time strongly discouraged (or even banned?) carbon wheels since people were overcooking descents and crashing out.

it's troubling that even with that knowledge there are still ambulance requiring crashes happening on this ride, in my mind a grand fondo should be a casual ride, not a race where you employ do-or-die tactics. maybe just a matter of inexperienced cyclists riding beyond their ability?

either way, that would be a crappy way to end your day. worse if someone takes you out from their negligence.

this is definitely a ride i would like to do one of these days, with a small group or even solo though, not 4000
after a fatality and then helicopter out the following year... I'm done with it. Nothing like the muscles turning to concrete waiting for 45-60min at the rest stop.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM

thousands of riders. and label something a race and you are bound to see an accident. I witnessed four accidents along the route. some of that is the roads. i took it easy and stayed in the slow lane on the descents, others wanted to go faster. i did see far fewer accidents in the la marmotte alpes this past july. perhaps the roads are just better. it seemed to me the organizer took great strides to keep everyone safe.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I had to laugh at the start when Levi introduced Floyd as the 2006 TdF winner. Ha-I guess if you spend money as a sponsor of the event you get back your title !
Old 10-11-2018, 03:52 AM
foo

It's a great event all around.... scenery, terrain, support/rest stops, friends, food, beer. There were quite a few newly paved roads on the route this year. The Willow Creek dirt option is awesome (and doable with regular road tires). I did it last year and this year... both times on gravel bikes with 35mm Schwalbe G-One's.

Re: carbon rims on this ride. I rode with a buddy that is a marshal... we stopped for a guy on Meyers Grade with an imploded carbon rim and and exploded tire (rim brakes).

Last edited by aosty; 10-11-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:54 AM
foo

Sidetrack.... the weekend prior, I did Grinduro... that was super fun!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:21 AM

Levi's was my last gasp at Summer. I'll be in Greenville next week for Hincapie but I doubt the weather will be as beautiful
Old 10-23-2018, 08:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

If I ever do this ride, I want to do it with these pals...then I get to see more, feel more, hear more, appreciate more, enjoy more...

https://youtu.be/2TzOVSpGrJ0
Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
If I ever do this ride, I want to do it with these pals...then I get to see more, feel more, hear more, appreciate more, enjoy more...

https://youtu.be/2TzOVSpGrJ0
Another of LA crew, like hincapie, who is 'enjoying' the fruits of their racing day's 'labors', regardless of what they did while 'racing'...not for me, thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:30 AM

having done hincapie and levi's the two u.s. sportives long on my bucket list the two were enjoyable but for totally different reasons.

hincapie: best roads and route
levi's: best weather and views

both were well supported but the santa rosa community is a nicer place to hang out pre and post race. so glad i did both