Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 08:13 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Sounds like OP has been going to some REALLY crappy shops. Any shop worth a damn in the city stands behind its work, doesn't muck up the job, and doesn't take payment in alcohol. Trying to get cheap labor yields bad results.
i'm so confused by this whole thread.

- $30 seems reasonable for NYC pricing
- i can't think of any shop that would tell you you're SOL if they break your fork
- what kind of good headset are you buying for $30?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Although meant for bottom brackets, I have not found a normal size headtube that the Wheels MFG universal bottom bracket tool won’t work on.
https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/...ket-press.html
Pressing in a bearing/cup is not rocket surgery.

I use a heavy duty piece of pvc pipe as slide hammer for the race or even better only use split races that slide right on.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i'm so confused by this whole thread.

- $30 seems reasonable for NYC pricing
- i can't think of any shop that would tell you you're SOL if they break your fork
- what kind of good headset are you buying for $30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
You're talking crazy stuff.
Most shops will pay for anything they damage-
$30 is a deal-
Headset press is fairly expensive and rarely used.
Slide hammer for O/S crown race is also fairly expensive (for King Races).
King adaptor tools for 11/4 and 11/2 are also expensive.
Google "bike shop broke my bike" and look at the ridiculous number of threads on shops dodging people after ruining a part.

I'm not saying it's common (those threads are spread across the millions of interactions people have with shops) but I am saying that it happens. Honestly I think it's rare enough that it's not even a factor in my decision here. It's just pricing.

A headset press is $50-100 for a good one.

Why would you assume a King? Not everyone goes for ridiculous bling.

Most Cane Creek and FSA headsets are in the $30-50 range brand new.

I dunno, I guess this shouldn't surprise me since I've seen how few people here seem to work on their own bikes.

When the responses assume a $150 headset, $30 being a steal, etc it's pretty clear that it's just a difference in disposable income. When you wonder why cities aren't building more bike infrastructure, why less people are riding, etc, maybe consider that you're pricing out 98% of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
Although meant for bottom brackets, I have not found a normal size headtube that the Wheels MFG universal bottom bracket tool won’t work on.
https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/...ket-press.html
Pressing in a bearing/cup is not rocket surgery.

I use a heavy duty piece of pvc pipe as slide hammer for the race or even better only use split races that slide right on.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what sort of bb tools we have.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 AM

This thread brings joy to my life.

Next thread by OP: Damaged crown race during install, can it be fixed?

Or

Headset binds, don’t know why.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
For 99% of my repair needs I go to my local co op. However, the one here (Brooklyn) doesn't have the tools for an oversized headtube.

I tried hitting up some local bike shops but they're all either sales only or want $30+ to do an install.

Is there a good way to use the tools for a normal headtube to install this thing? NYC bike shops that will do it for a few beers? I just need to get the cups in & crown race on.
Installing a headset usually takes a vice big enough, a piece of metal tube that fits over the fork shaft, and a hammer. Making sure the cups are not coming in at an angle of 30° or more is about the only thing to pay attention to, but that is true for a proper headset tool as well, as i know none that does the aligning to the steering tube for you. (one even could improvise one with a threaded rod, two bolts, and two pieces of wood with a hole in them).
Unless one has ten thumbs installed the wrong way around, i see no easy way to damage stuff (or am i missing something here?)

Last edited by martl; 12-10-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Installing a headset usually takes a vice big enough, a piece of metal tube that fits over the fork shaft, and a hammer. Making sure the cups are not coming in at an angle of 30° or more is about the only thing to pay attention to, but that is true for a proper headset tool as well, as i know none that does the aligning to the steering tube for you. (one even could improvise one with a threaded rod, two bolts, and two pieces of wood with a hole in them).
Unless one has ten thumbs installed the wrong way around, i see no easy way to damage stuff (or am i missing something here?)
Forget the vice, put the metal tube/race driver on the ground, align the crown race, invert the fork into the metal tube and tap the lower crown race on, pie!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:47 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Forget the vice, put the metal tube/race driver on the ground, align the crown race, invert the fork into the metal tube and tap the lower crown race on, pie!
i use the vice for the two cups that go in the steering tube of the frame.

One thing i forgot: If its a new frame and has paint traces at the flat surfaces the cups are supposed to go on, then its time to seek professional help with a face-milling cutter. In building/restoring 50+ bikes so far, i never needed one.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
You're talking crazy stuff.
Most shops will pay for anything they damage-
$30 is a deal-
Headset press is fairly expensive and rarely used.
Slide hammer for O/S crown race is also fairly expensive (for King Races).
King adaptor tools for 11/4 and 11/2 are also expensive.
Quote:
It's just pricing.
Quote:
it's pretty clear that it's just a difference in disposable income
??? indeed.."hey nose, I'm gonna cut you off to spite my face"...

You think $30 is too much(disposable income an issue, 'it's just pricing') but you want to spend more than that $30 to 'show those crappy bike shops'....I donno, confused..get the thing installed, go ride yer bike.

And for right below..that CO-OP is gonna love him when he 'donates' $700 worth of tools to them..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-10-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 AM

I just got my king 44mm headset installed, here is list of tools used.

Park crp-2 crown race puller $265

Park crs-15.2 oversized crown race setter $95

Park hhp-2 headset press $174

Park rt-1 Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Park rt-2 oversized Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Chris King 1.125 adaptor $48

Chris King 1.5 adaptor $48

My head math says that’s $702 in total tools. This doesn’t even touch the overhead of the rent, utilities, and labor. You’re right, definitely not worth a $30 fee to install.

Last edited by quickfeet; 12-10-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 AM

$30 is an absolute bargain imho! in beer terms that is like a case of sam adams!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Administrator

couple of things:

1) it is absolutely possible to install a headset at home with stuff you can buy at the hardware store. if you have access to a base headset press already, all the better - the drifts can be fabricated with a little know-how.

2) NYC is one of the most expensive real estate locations in the country. it is unreasonable to think a NYC bike shop that has to pay rent on shop space and pay mechanics a livable wage is gouging anyone over a $30 installation charge. The assertion that a bike shop should do it for "a few beers" is crazy if you think about it for a moment. How on earth can a business be expected to survive if, instead of charging customers a fair price to do a professional task - they give away services.

3) I do all of my own work on bikes and cars, and motorcycles. If there is a tool i need to do something, i buy it or make it. part of the reason i am happy to continue to ride older proven technology bikes is the ease of working on them for me the home mechanic. Same with cars - when i buy a car, one very real consideration is how easy is it for me to work on the car.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
When the responses assume a $150 headset, $30 being a steal, etc it's pretty clear that it's just a difference in disposable income. When you wonder why cities aren't building more bike infrastructure, why less people are riding, etc, maybe consider that you're pricing out 98% of the country.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what sort of bb tools we have.
But paying a bike mechanic in beer is helping keep the lights on in the industry?

Get outta here with that silliness.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
I dunno, I guess this shouldn't surprise me since I've seen how few people here seem to work on their own bikes.

i'll do everything on my bike with a few exceptions, HS and BB press are likely the only ones i won't (or chasing threads, i've gummed that up before).

truth of the matter is, NYC real-estate is hella expensive. half of the nice bike shops just end up closing unless they charge realistic pricing - pricing that i'm sure some people consider extortion. i bet if you went to piermont or just across the river, the pricing might be a few bucks cheaper, but at that point, is it really worth saving the $10 and the extra time wasted? this isn't really a matter of disposable income (maybe it is, but not in my opinion), this is a risk-reward calculation to me: risk that i damage my fork and/or waste time vs. cost.

the bike infrastructure thing isn't really applicable here either, i doubt most commuters are having new HSs pressed in all the time, most of the time they're just popping in to replace a tube or something.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 AM

I've built 20+ bikes over the last 30 years, and never had a shop install a headset or race. Have a 1/2 threaded rod, two nuts and large washers. Yes, its not necessarily self aligning, but just be careful at the start and you'll be fine. Crown race setting=pvc pipe.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
I just got my king 44mm headset installed, here is list of tools used.

Park crp-2 crown race puller $265

Park crs-15.2 oversized crown race setter $95

Park hhp-2 headset press $174

Park rt-1 Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Park rt-2 oversized Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Chris King 1.125 adaptor $48

Chris King 1.5 adaptor $48

My head math says that’s $702 in total tools. This doesn’t even touch the overhead of the rent, utilities, and labor. You’re right, definitely not worth a $30 fee to install.
I got a hook in my workshop wall last week to use as a coat hanger.

Tools used:

Makita 4500 C power drill: 1200€
Makita SDS MAX drill set: 60€
gold-plated screwdriver (Cartier) 5600 €

...mind you, an old hammer and a rusty nail might also have worked...