Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 PM
head to toe Assos

Challenge Strada Bianca

After reading the thread entitled "Why Change?" I was reminded that I had purchased a set of Challenge Strada Bianca tires for my gravel bike and they needed to be mounted.
So with a shaky connection to Gent-Wevelgem on the computer this morning I set about the task.
After about an hour of chasing the first tire bead around the rim and failing to seat it I gave up and cracked open a beer at 10am.
I don't understand these tires. It's just a flat strip with no camber at the tread line. How does one force this onto the rim?
My daddy would have said of such problems it's like "trying to stick a wet noodle up a cat's you-know-what".
Why change indeed - I guess that's why they're called "Challenge".
If anyone out there has some helpful hints on how to turn this flat strip into a bicycle tire I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Administrator

yup, they're tough! i had the same problem.

i own one of these Pedros downhill tire levers just for such tasks:

the good news is once they stretch out on the rim in the heat of the sun for a couple hundred miles they come on and off pretty easy.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Send Paul E a note or Mike at cycle sport .

Or come down to Raleigh and we will have some red and also mount it

Or wait till late April when I visit NJ
Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM

I just struggled to get a pair of Veloflex Corsas onto some Neutron Ultras—I feel your pain. It almost makes one think the tires are mismarked 650C's.

I found that it was easier to just mount the tires first without inner tubes. I let the tires stretch for a couple of days, and then put the inner tubes in.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon View Post
Send Paul E a note or Mike at cycle sport .

Or come down to Raleigh and we will have some red and also mount it

Or wait till late April when I visit NJ
Vino - The best lubricant of all.
After some beer and cursing I can sort of get it on the rim but it's just a shapeless blob.
I think whoever created this is sitting back laughing now.

put a tire lever on each side of the un seated section of tire and use a 3rd to leverage the remaining section onto the rim (going from one side to the other, don't try to do it from the middle of the unseated section) and be sure not to pinch the tube.

edit: well you seem to have got it figured out
Everything is connected

They sound like the Continental Competition of the clincher world...the only tubbies that test my religion. I love riding them though.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 PM

No snickering: K-Y Jelly.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 PM
head to toe Assos

But I'm covered in Johnson and Johnson so my skin feels silky smooth.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM

Help with Installation of Challenge tires

I read about your difficulties with the installation of Challenge open tubular tires and wanted to provide another option. This situation you experienced could be due to the flat shape of a new handmade open tubular and the sometimes sticky nature of the tire’s latex coating. It could also be caused by a shallow inner well in the rim. With that in mind, we suggest you use the following method for installation:
  1. Center the Open Tubular tire over the rim with the beads hanging over both sides of the rim.
  2. Install one bead of the Open Tubular tire.
  3. Partially inflate the inner tube just enough to give it shape, insert the valve stem inside the rim valve hole and push the tube inside the rim (under the tire). Make sure the tube is straight not twisted during insertion.
    Note: If you plan on using latex tubes, we suggest using a butyl tube for the initial installation until the Open Tubular tire stretches to shape in order to avoid pinching the latex tube.
  4. Install the Open Tubular tire’s second bead starting opposite the valve stem and working both directions around to the valve stem. You should make sure you do not pinch the tube between the tire and the rim and make sure the beads are centered in the deepest part of the rim. You will probably need to reduce the pressure in the tube as you reach the last portion of the tire to seat near the valve.
  5. Push the inner tube’s valve up into the tire to make sure the tube is not caught under the bead and seat the last of the second bead.
  6. Inflate to approximately 25 psi or 1.5 bar.
  7. Working around the tire, rock the Open Tubular tire back and forth on the rim to insure the inner tube is centered and moves up into the tire away from the hook-bead interface.
  8. Inflate to 50 psi or about 3 bar and repeat #7 above.
  9. Inflate to riding pressure. Check that the beads are properly seated around the rim on both sides.
The first installation may still be quite tight, even with the correct rim, but the tire will stretch once you begin riding and subsequent installations will be easier.
I assume you were joking about the KY Jelly and other lubricants. I realize soapy water does help with some of the tighter tubeless tires that won't 'bead-up'. Just be careful not to use anything that might degrade or damage the latex or the casing on the handmade tires.
I hope this helps with your next installation.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Actually, KY Jelly could work.

But liquid dishwashing detergent spread on the tire bead works fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM

I've heard that KY works well with "latex"...jus sayin'
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
I read about your difficulties with the installation of Challenge open tubular tires and wanted to provide another option. This situation you experienced could be due to the flat shape of a new handmade open tubular and the sometimes sticky nature of the tire’s latex coating. It could also be caused by a shallow inner well in the rim. With that in mind, we suggest you use the following method for installation:
  1. Center the Open Tubular tire over the rim with the beads hanging over both sides of the rim.
  2. Install one bead of the Open Tubular tire.
  3. Partially inflate the inner tube just enough to give it shape, insert the valve stem inside the rim valve hole and push the tube inside the rim (under the tire). Make sure the tube is straight not twisted during insertion.
    Note: If you plan on using latex tubes, we suggest using a butyl tube for the initial installation until the Open Tubular tire stretches to shape in order to avoid pinching the latex tube.
  4. Install the Open Tubular tire’s second bead starting opposite the valve stem and working both directions around to the valve stem. You should make sure you do not pinch the tube between the tire and the rim and make sure the beads are centered in the deepest part of the rim. You will probably need to reduce the pressure in the tube as you reach the last portion of the tire to seat near the valve.
  5. Push the inner tube’s valve up into the tire to make sure the tube is not caught under the bead and seat the last of the second bead.
  6. Inflate to approximately 25 psi or 1.5 bar.
  7. Working around the tire, rock the Open Tubular tire back and forth on the rim to insure the inner tube is centered and moves up into the tire away from the hook-bead interface.
  8. Inflate to 50 psi or about 3 bar and repeat #7 above.
  9. Inflate to riding pressure. Check that the beads are properly seated around the rim on both sides.
The first installation may still be quite tight, even with the correct rim, but the tire will stretch once you begin riding and subsequent installations will be easier.
I assume you were joking about the KY Jelly and other lubricants. I realize soapy water does help with some of the tighter tubeless tires that won't 'bead-up'. Just be careful not to use anything that might degrade or damage the latex or the casing on the handmade tires.
I hope this helps with your next installation.
Excellent suggestions, concise and well written.
Should be printed on a card and put in the tire package.
Welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM

My suggestion would be to sell them on the forum, and buy something else.

Not worth the hassle in my experience.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
My suggestion would be to sell them on the forum, and buy something else.

Not worth the hassle in my experience.
Really, even if it is hard to mount a tire, so what; mount once ride for a long time. Unless your are mounting tires all day it is really not an issue. If a tire rides well and does the job then a few extra minutes of mounting time is worth it. But you are right, much less hassle to sell and ship tires at a loss. No time needed there...