Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Older Than You

Never had a ride like this before

Interesting ride yesterday. I was stopped at a light on a street with a marked bike lane that is also the right turn lane. I generally stay out of that lane when stopped so cars can turn right. A car came up in the turn lane and the driver was about to give me a hard time for not being in the designated bike lane. I explained my reasoning to him. He got a big smile on his face and told me to ride safe and have a good day.

Later that day still on my bike I decided to go to Chic Fil A to get a salad. I knew the dining area was closed but surely they could take a walk up order. Thanks to COVID 19 the options are curbside pickup or drive through. The manager came out and profusely apologized saying that they were just not set up for a walk up order. My only choice was the Chic Fil A smartphone app that I didn’t have. About that time an attractive young lady driving a Mercedes drove in to pick up her curbside order. Overhearing the conversation she said “I’ll take care of it. What did you want sir?” She refused payment. The salad came out in less than 5 minutes.

I came real close to buying some lottery tickets on the way home.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

That is s great story.

As things “slow down” a bit and people start to refocus, who knows what positives we’ll see.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:41 AM

These kinds of stories keep my faith in humanity.... somewhat positive.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Kindness in a time of crisis

Generally my experience is that when things are difficult people seem to work harder to be kind and courteous. It does not surprise me at all and its what I think makes this country great....

You shoulda bought the tickets, it was clearly your day

Best
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Generally my experience is that when things are difficult people seem to work harder to be kind and courteous. It does not surprise me at all and its what I think makes this country great....

You shoulda bought the tickets, it was clearly your day

Best
Seeing this a lot while walking my dog and riding, people just seem to be more friendly.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Interesting ride yesterday. I was stopped at a light on a street with a marked bike lane that is also the right turn lane. I generally stay out of that lane when stopped so cars can turn right. A car came up in the turn lane and the driver was about to give me a hard time for not being in the designated bike lane. I explained my reasoning to him. He got a big smile on his face and told me to ride safe and have a good day.

Later that day still on my bike I decided to go to Chic Fil A to get a salad. I knew the dining area was closed but surely they could take a walk up order. Thanks to COVID 19 the options are curbside pickup or drive through. The manager came out and profusely apologized saying that they were just not set up for a walk up order. My only choice was the Chic Fil A smartphone app that I didn’t have. About that time an attractive young lady driving a Mercedes drove in to pick up her curbside order. Overhearing the conversation she said “I’ll take care of it. What did you want sir?” She refused payment. The salad came out in less than 5 minutes.

I came real close to buying some lottery tickets on the way home.
Gonna be your whiney 'dad' or something but I would be wary of any food prepared by others..rec is microwave before you eat..YMMV and all that.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gonna be your whiney 'dad' or something but I would be wary of any food prepared by others..rec is microwave before you eat..YMMV and all that.
I agree you can't be too careful with this virus. Most of the food I eat I either cook myself or frozen dinners that get run through the microwave.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Nice. But I wouldn't worry about buying a lottery ticket; instead look for a way to pass on the kindness
Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Nice. But I wouldn't worry about buying a lottery ticket; instead look for a way to pass on the kindness
This.

But maybe get that lotto ticket too, because then you could pass on even more kindness. And get some more bikes.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Descent fitness

I had a nice experience on a ride yesterday, too.
Heading home, there was an old Toyota truck parked on an uphill section of the road on the shoulder with a shredded left front tire. The driver was out of the truck and had the OEM jack in his hand. He saw me and apologized for being in the way. I said no problem and good luck, and rode the 5 minutes to home. While riding I thought what a hard time he would have jacking up the truck and not putting himself/it in danger. So: when I got home I loaded my floor jack, star wrench and a wheel chock into my truck and drove back to him. One look as I was driving up let me know he wasn't doing well. I pulled up behind him and unloaded the floor jack. He looked up with a mixture of surprise and relief and I identified myself as the bike rider who had passed him up. Since I didn't have much time, I asked him if he had a spare and if he knew how to use everything. Yes to both, so I left him my address to drop my stuff back off with a warning that he should not try and pay me. About an hour later I returned home to find a nice note and my stuff.
I am happy to say it's how many of us do it around here, pandemic or no.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

When folks actually 'have' to consider their own mortality, the better sides of human nature can and do surface.

Good reminder that 'being human' can be better that usual.

Remember what Klaatu said about humans being at their best when things are worst...
Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 AM

some good karma rolling around, feels good!

happy Friday yall
Old 04-03-2020, 01:42 PM

I'm getting more folks saying hi as I ride by - I think folks are getting lonely.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Same here. With all of this doom and gloom and uncertainty people seem a bit more friendly right now. It's nice, and hope it continues.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:12 PM

On my ride up the hill into Hariman day before yesterday, a couple of old-timers (by which I mean guys like me) were walking. I got friendly waves from both, and the guy that was heading downhill, called out (enviously I like to think) "must be fun coming back down the hill" to which I agreed!