Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 07-21-2021, 11:13 AM

Finger Lakes-Harriet Tubman Freedom Ride

I'm living in exile in California, but thought I would share this announcement from my former home town club in Ithaca, wish I could attend! Any central NYers maybe consider volunteering for this- it's more than just a ride, maybe a good time to give something back, know what I'm sayin'?
https://fingerlakescycling.org/

A very special group ride is being planned and hosted by the Major Taylor Chicago Cycling Club starting in Ithaca on July 24 -- the Harriet Tubman Freedom Ride --- capacity 360 riders. You can check it out at: https://harriettubmanfreedomride.com.
To ride or volunteer, you can go here: https://www.bikereg.com/harriet-tubman-freedom-ride

History
Major Taylor was the first African American world champion in cycling, living at the turn of the century. Today, there are over 60 Major Taylor cycling clubs across the country. Based on past experience, it is expected that riders will likely come from all over the northeast to participate in this ride. All are welcome. Several of you have already signed up to ride or volunteer. More riders and volunteers are warmly invited.

Ride
On 7/24, there are three routes,https://harriettubmanfreedomride.com/freedom-routes/ including a century, metric century and half metric century, plus two "recovery" rides on 7/25. The main ride starts in Ithaca, heads up the west side of Cayuga clockwise and over to Auburn to Harriet Tubman's grave, then back to Ithaca. This has become a 3-day event https://harriettubmanfreedomride.com/freedom-routes/ with many bonus features, as it's an opportunity for those from out of town to experience the beauties of our part of the Finger Lakes region. Local partners include the Southside Community Center and Bike Walk Tompkins.

Volunteer
The organizers are asking for our help, as the local cycling club, to mark the route, serve as road marshalls and sweeps, and drive SAG vehicles. Specifically, they will need:
-2 people to help mark the route 2 days ahead of the event;
-6 Road Marshals and Sweeps on 7/24;
-2 SAG drivers (4-hour shifts) on 7/24;
-2 leaders & 2 sweeps for two additional rides (30-ish and 63 miles) on Sunday, 7/25.

Last edited by zennmotion; 07-21-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:32 AM

Well damn, I live in Auburn (Harriet Tubman's home town and final resting place) and I work in a bike shop in Syracuse. I can honestly say this has not been on my radar. I'm super disappointed and to not be available to help nor ride. I will be sharing this on other social media. I just hope it's not too late for others.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Well damn, I live in Auburn (Harriet Tubman's home town and final resting place) and I work in a bike shop in Syracuse. I can honestly say this has not been on my radar. I'm super disappointed and to not be available to help nor ride. I will be sharing this on other social media. I just hope it's not too late for others.

Yes, it's last-minute. I just saw the club list email announcement today. Ride goes right by my old house, wish I could be there!
Old 07-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Administrator

timing does not work for me on this one either, but very cool. also interesting that my local club is the major taylor club of NJ, but this is hosted by MT of Chicago. totally cool stuff.

if anyone is interested in doing this route in the early fall - please post here, i'm 100% down.

thanks for pointing this out.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
timing does not work for me on this one either, but very cool. also interesting that my local club is the major taylor club of NJ, but this is hosted by MT of Chicago. totally cool stuff.

if anyone is interested in doing this route in the early fall - please post here, i'm 100% down.

thanks for pointing this out.
Keep me in mind, I'm less than 10 miles out of Auburn (not on the route.)

Old 07-21-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Keep me in mind, I'm less than 10 miles out of Auburn (not on the route.)

We had a great ride together last year. Maybe we can get something together again with Nick?
Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 AM

I'd be interested as well!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:37 PM

If it were me, knowing those roads quite well, I would choose a modified version of the 60 mile "Post Ride A" as more interesting (for riding, not history) instead of the main century ride around Cayuga lake as more varied, with more hills (not too bad although I could point to a few leg breakers if that were the goal) and even some gravel secteurs that would be road bike rideable. The century route has some nice lake views but much of it is on state highways that, while safe with good shoulders and not much traffic, are not as rural or interesting as the county roads between the lakes. IMO of course...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36082650

^^^ more or less this, with some alternative roads through state forest land. It could be easily extended to century length with good views of both Cayuga and Seneca lakes and zero traffic.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
If it were me, knowing those roads quite well, I would choose a modified version of the 60 mile "Post Ride A" as more interesting (for riding, not history) instead of the main century ride around Cayuga lake as more varied, with more hills (not too bad although I could point to a few leg breakers if that were the goal) and even some gravel secteurs that would be road bike rideable. The century route has some nice lake views but much of it is on state highways that, while safe with good shoulders and not much traffic, are not as rural or interesting as the county roads between the lakes. IMO of course...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36082650

^^^ more or less this, with some alternative roads through state forest land. It could be easily extended to century length with good views of both Cayuga and Seneca lakes and zero traffic.
c'mon down in the fall and ride with us!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:38 AM

My wife and I did a century around Lake Cayuga back in 2018 when we were out for our daughter's graduation from Cornell. What a lovely day out on the bike that was!

Wish we were able to have made this ride. Will be happening again in the future?
Old 07-24-2021, 01:26 AM

I don't have the latest Strava data, but BITD I do remember when Steve Bauer circled the lake in something like 3h40 min, solo without a draft (approx. 88 miles). No aero bars or STIs back then either!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
We had a great ride together last year. Maybe we can get something together again with Nick?

Most definitely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk