Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 03:29 PM

Brake-Cable ferrules: when to use them (campagnolo)?

Maybe a bit of a pedantic question but I own a steel frame with external cable routing (the rear brake cable outer is split when the cable goes beneath and along the top-tube). When I built the bike I omitted ferrules at the outer cable endpoints along the top tube but I started having doubts if that was the correct way to do things.

After experimenting a bit, I noticed that ferrules do fit inside the cable stops on the frame but I was unable to fit the brake outer into them (it is a campagnolo 12s groupset in case that matters). This could be because they are not supposed to be used, or because i have wrong ferules that can only be used with shift cables or perhaps because i used the outers for a while without and this changed the shape slightly?

Googling for manuals or other forum threads does not seem to provide an answer: should ferrules be used in such a case, and if yes why do you think I cannot put them onto the cable outer?
Old 12-06-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweenie View Post
should ferrules be used in such a case
Yes.

There's very few places where ferrules shouldnt be used, like the shift cables at the lever Sram 11s shifters.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:41 PM
I need you cool.

Went thru sort of similar installing some Chorus brakes earlier this year: Installing brakeset...

No ferrules for brake cables.....
Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM

I assumed that there should also not be any ferrules where the brake cables enter the calipers, no? And where they enter the levers? I think I read this somewhere— the latter is actually how interpret things in the manual although it is not explicitly stated.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:43 PM
the Central Scrutinizer

Apparently never. There aren't any in the parts bag, only shifter cable ferrules. Right?
Old 12-06-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Went thru sort of similar installing some Chorus brakes earlier this year: Installing brakeset...

No ferrules for brake cables.....
Thanks, but that post refers to where the cables enter the caliper only I think…
Old 12-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
Apparently never. There aren't any in the parts bag, only shifter cable ferrules. Right?
I am not sure, but in my spare box i only have ones that don’t fit the brake outers… Pressumably that is why I installed it the way I did.

Why I started having doubts is because on a different campagnolo bike with a carbon frame and plastic cable stops the outer dig itself through the cable stop and my lbs (to which I don’t have access right now for complicated reasons) said that I should have used a ferrule and actually fixed it by adding one. So I started wondering whether I should also need some on the steel frame…
Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Thanks, but that post refers to where the cables enter the caliper only I think…
somewhere in the middle is discussed no ferrules on either end, but probably not explicitly.....
Old 12-06-2021, 07:46 PM

I stand corrected, never built with campy
Old 12-06-2021, 07:54 PM

Campagnolo doesn’t include any brake ferrules because they assume you are using full length housing from lever to brake front and rear.. but of course you can buy your own.

The two ferrules they do include are for the FD shifter housing so you can install an inline adjuster.

The funny thing is that only modern carbon frames need that inline adjuster (older style and steel have adjuster barrels) and yet modern frames don’t run full brake housing - most need the two brake ferrules for brake cable stops.

Sigh. Mama Mia.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Campagnolo doesn’t include any brake ferrules because they assume you are using full length housing from lever to brake front and rear.. but of course you can buy your own.

The two ferrules they do include are for the FD shifter housing so you can install an inline adjuster.

The funny thing is that only modern carbon frames need that inline adjuster (older style and steel have adjuster barrels) and yet modern frames don’t run full brake housing - most need the two brake ferrules for brake cable stops.

Sigh. Mama Mia.
It sounds like one should get aftermarket 5mm ferrules. It is a bit strange that campagnolo does not seem to offer them (I can only find some vintage ones), but other brands seem to do...
Old 12-07-2021, 05:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
It sounds like one should get aftermarket 5mm ferrules. It is a bit strange that campagnolo does not seem to offer them (I can only find some vintage ones), but other brands seem to do...
Yes, use ferrules in the frame. Not sure why the 5mm brake housing doesn't fit into it, it should. Wheels manufacturing 5mm brass ferrules..I can send you some.

No ferrules in any 2009 and later Campag lever, der or brake. YES, der ferrules in the lever...1993 thru 2008..
Old 12-07-2021, 06:53 AM

I think it does not fit because the ones I got with the groups were for shifting cables. I just ordered some 5mm brass ferrules from Jagwire. Let's see.

Thanks for all the replies! I have to say that I still find it mysterious that campagnolo require brake ferrules but don't deliver them with the groupsets or even make them, but well...
Old 12-07-2021, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I think it does not fit because the ones I got with the groups were for shifting cables. I just ordered some 5mm brass ferrules from Jagwire. Let's see.

Thanks for all the replies! I have to say that I still find it mysterious that campagnolo require brake ferrules but don't deliver them with the groupsets or even make them, but well...
The black ones? Yup...'Campagnolo' isn't the ones 'requiring' ferrules for brake housing, the frame maker is BUT, I agree, brake ferrules should be included.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:03 AM

No they are actually silver. I didn't measure them with callipers but it seems impossible to stick the brake outer into them.