Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 02:58 PM

Need a mirror

I've never used a mirror of any sort. My current routes have so many passing cars that I think it's time to get one. Any comments on the spin tech that fits in the bar end? Any other favorites?
Old 07-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Dave do you use a garmin?

the rear facing radar things are pretty amazing in the info that they give you. i dont have one yet, but have seen what they can do and it's pretty cool.

maybe something to think about.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:12 PM

They are quite amazing, the Garmin Varia.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:18 PM

All of my road/gravel bikes have a Berthoud MKII bar-end now.

They are a pricey option, but they work very well for keeping an eye behind you, add a lot of comfort to me when riding on the road, and they are really solid but still adjustable.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM

As a side note, I also started using Airstreamz cat-ears. They let me hear most cars that are coming over the wind noise, which is also comforting.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:30 PM

On busy roads you can't hear the individual car that is drifting over into your space .. The Take a Look mirror is cheap and works great.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:36 PM

A mirror is a good thing for sure. But nothing wrong with the belt and suspenders approach to situational awareness. The Varia is the best money I have ever spent as it relates to bicycles. Fantastic.

I do not use a mirror, FWIW.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:52 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think a varia is much better than a mirror and it will look, mmmmmh, less dorky (I am being nice here, yall caught me on a good day).

But get whatever makes you feel safe and even with the Varia, its good to be attentive and look back a bunch but its excellent. Hands down the best thing I ever have bought as far as bike stuff goes. When it runs out of battery during a ride (doesnt happen often, battery life is excellent), I feel pretty weird about it and feel pretty naked... just like when I get into a car and not having a seat belt on or going for a ride without a helmet.

The light is also pretty excellent and everyone should be running a blinker when they ride. The cat ears also look ridiculous and what if you have a quite car behind you? The varia can detect 2, 3 cars coming from behind and it will show red when the car is going super fast. I know a lot of us here don't like tech but this is some of the best tech to come to bikes in a long time, specially if you ride alone most of the time.

if you do ride with people, you will win the game of "CAR BACK", no one will have the chance against you.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:01 PM
Small ring

I use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sprintech-L...s%2C169&sr=8-2
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM

I've used a helmet mounted mirror for years and feel naked and defenseless without it. Seriously.

It gives great situational awareness of what's behind you...

When I'm road riding I play the game of "gimme a bit more space" with cars. Rather than ride as far over as possible, I'll give myself an extra two feet...riding on the right side of the lane. Then as I see a car coming up behind me (and hopefully moving over to make some room between us) I'll then ease over to the right as far as is safe. That way I've created a bit of an extra buffer zone for when the car actually passes.

I'm thinking about picking up a Varia...but the truth is, I haven't been on a road ride since early last year. I took some time off for health reasons last year, and this year I've been focusing on running and gravel riding.

Not sure the Varia is needed in the woods...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-06-2020, 04:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I've used a helmet mounted mirror for years and feel naked and defenseless without it. Seriously.

It gives great situational awareness of what's behind you...

When I'm road riding I play the game of "gimme a bit more space" with cars. Rather than ride as far over as possible, I'll give myself an extra two feet...riding on the right side of the lane. Then as I see a car coming up behind me (and hopefully moving over to make some room between us) I'll then ease over to the right as far as is safe. That way I've created a bit of an extra buffer zone for when the car actually passes.

I'm thinking about picking up a Varia...but the truth is, I haven't been on a road ride since early last year. I took some time off for health reasons last year, and this year I've been focusing on running and gravel riding.

Not sure the Varia is needed in the woods...
yeah if you don't ride on the road, the varia is 100% not needed, but I guess neither is the mirror.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Have used this one for years - don't know how I ever rode without it:

https://www.italianroadbikemirror.com/
Old 07-06-2020, 04:17 PM

I didn't like the ones attached to my sun glasses. Since I ride more than one bike, didn't want to buy several for bar ends. And you may not like the location...looking down, etc. Some attach better than others. My favorite mirror is the one that attaches to my helmet with 2 sided tape. I've used several. My wife likes "Buds Mirrors". It has a larger mirror glass area than the ones I use.

RE using your ears. Had a Prius drive right up to my hip without me hearing it. Running on battery, and skinny tires are quiet. Almost turned left in front of it. Good thing I looked. Had no idea a car was there.

One of my riding buddies has the Garmin radar. Works great. He also wears a helmet mounted mirror. Believe with the radar you can keep looking ahead better.

https://budshelmetmirrors.com/

Last edited by Ralph; 07-06-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
yeah if you don't ride on the road, the varia is 100% not needed, but I guess neither is the mirror.
Offroad I use the mirror to keep an eye on my riding buddy (who lately has been my son).

That assumes that I can stay in front of him...which sadly...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Registered (ab)User

My wife, having recently broken her neck and undergone emergency spinal fusion surgery, has been exploring these options rather extensively. As a result of the surgically-implanted hardware and subsequent fusion between C1-C4, she has extremely limited range of motion; it's basically really freakin' hard for her to look over her shoulder...or even 40-50° to either side.

She tried the Berthoud bar end mirrors (on both sides). They are definitely swanky, gorgeously made, wonderful optics...and just too damn small to be of any use.

She was much happier with the Sprintech Racing mirrors (again, one on both sides) although her complaint about those is that the whole Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear thing can be a real liability with their less-than-pristine optics.

She finally found a mirror she loves: It's a Hafny MR087. Big enough that she can see a lot, good enough optics that the image is clear, substantial enough hardware that vibrations from riding don't cause it to move around much. She's now riding with the Hafny on the left side and one of the Sprintechs on the right side.

Just last week I got her a Garmin Varia rear-facing radar for her birthday. She LOVES it! But she especially loves using it in conjunction with her mirrors; she says it allows her to not feel the need to check the mirrors as frequently as she used to, and to depend on them only when critical.

Might be too soon to tell, but for someone as movement-compromised as her I don't think the radar could ever replace the mirrors. But together they're a powerful 1-2 punch that allows her to safely ride when 8 months ago it was unclear that she would ever be able to.