Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Administrator

tubeless road tyres

i've been enjoying riding road tubeless for the last couple months, and it has occurred to me that while i have a stockpile of regular clinchers, i dont have any spare road tubeless tires, so i figure i will buy a set to keep in the basement as spares and eventual replacements. always good to have spare consumables so they can be swapped immediately.

anyway - do tubeless road tires cost significantly more to manufacture? for the popular lines, vittoria corsa for example - the tubeless version is harder to find and more expensive. veloflex just introduced road tubeless, but they are really hard to find, more expensive and less available then the standard SPS clinchers.

given that we know you can use a tubeless tire with a tube like a regular clincher - why, for the same line of tire do companies continue to make two separate tires?

has anyone tried the new veloflex tubeless tires yet? dying to get a set!
Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 PM

The listed weights I've seen indicate that the tube type tires are lighter. Also, I prefer them because they are easier to mount if I do have a flat and need to replace the tube.

I recently mounted a tube type tire on a tube type rim and it was so easy, quite the pleasure, unlike battling the tubeless type rims and tires.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:40 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I can't answer any of your questions with authority but I think the design/manufacture is probably different enough (bead, some have an interior coating to keep air from seeping) to rationalize a higher cost and perhaps they produce less so higher production cost per unit? I will add a plug for IRC tubeless tires. The roadlite, their "training and endurance" tire are somewhat reasonably priced, wear well and ride very nicely in my opinion. They grow larger than stated width on rims of 17mm internal width or greater (my 25s on Boyd rims meaure 28.6-29mm). Tom Kellogg recommended them to me a few years ago and they've been really good.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Michelin now has a tubeless model, the TS TLR. It's 40 grams heavier and $15 more than the TS tubed tire.

The Michelin power endurance is my favorite, but they are in short supply, with few sizes and colors available. I suspect that a tubeless model will be out soon.

I've read of too many tubeless problems for them to get my attention. I've had one pinch flat in 8000 miles.

I gave a rider a CO2 cartridge a few weeks ago. His Schwalbe tubeless had multiple punctures in only a few miles, so he put in a tube, but by then he exhausted his and his buddies supply of CO2.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Administrator

yea, i was an early critic of road tubeless, but so far, so good on some new GP5000's. Longterm review TBD yet.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea, i was an early critic of road tubeless, but so far, so good on some new GP5000's. Longterm review TBD yet.

I’m curious what size? I’ve not had good luck with anything less than 28mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Why switch if you’re having good luck with the Contis. I’ve been using them for two seasons and have worn out two sets without flatting. I initially did 25c, but switched to 28c this year. I got my last set from bike closet https://bikecloset.com/product/conti...5000-tubeless/ pretty inexpensively.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
I’m curious what size? I’ve not had good luck with anything less than 28mm.

25's - no problems at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Why switch if you’re having good luck with the Contis. .
good point!

Old 08-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Adding to the thread, I tried running Conti 5000s tubeless on ENVE wheels and had a miserable experience. Someone said they're not compatible and pointed me to this ENVE list of compatible/not compatible tires. Sure enough.

ENVE tubeless tire compatibility
Old 08-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Lots of rim manufacturers are moaning about 5000s and recommending against their use due to an unbelievably tight bead. I’ve not used ‘em but it sounds miserable.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Lots of rim manufacturers are moaning about 5000s and recommending against their use due to an unbelievably tight bead. I’ve not used ‘em but it sounds miserable.
odd. i'm having no problems of the sort, and i did remove one of the tires and re-installed.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
odd. i'm having no problems of the sort, and i did remove one of the tires and re-installed.
May be a slightly exaggeration on my part. I was referring to this:

https://boydcycling.com/blogs/news/a...p5000-tl-tires
Old 08-03-2020, 12:58 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

That will teach you to read the instructions first, it wouldn't me though.

Does sound like you had too much fun, been there done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Adding to the thread, I tried running Conti 5000s tubeless on ENVE wheels and had a miserable experience. Someone said they're not compatible and pointed me to this ENVE list of compatible/not compatible tires. Sure enough.

ENVE tubeless tire compatibility
Old 08-03-2020, 01:03 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am still wondering if my not liking the recent 28mm 5K-TLs as much as 25mm non TL with latex is due to the Fulcrum Zero 2-ways and those Alloy swords for spokes...

Comments on that welcome

As far as mounting, easy peezy aired up no problem. But the Zeros are older and 15c, that should assist initial air up over a 19-20c width I a guessing...
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 PM
but not really

Wanna sell those 2 way wheels? I am all in on tubeless, though I currently have a Vittoria Corsa G that I cannot remove from a Reynolds Strike rim. Any suggestions? I can't get it off the lip to even fit a tire iron in there...