Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 05:26 PM
cnighbor2

search

www.crazyguyonabike.com for thatarea
Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The washout is new after some heavy rains this summer.

There are sections of the C&O that are completely out, as in, the whole culvert collapsed, and will require detour/reroute, mostly west of Brunswick.

On the other side of the river closer to DC, the PHT was pretty well submerged for a while and even though everything on higher ground was bone dry, it was still a clay filled, muddy mess as of a week ago.

Well maybe that bodes well for the entire redo this season. Nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Road the gap two years in late June and the one thing I highly recommend is a trip to Antietam just up the road from sharpsburg. Check out the Public house and eatery in town to load on some grub. Like many have confirmed you can easily handle the trail on 32mm tires. The paw paw tunnel is also a blast to ride thru. Most of all enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 PM

June/July/August is great time to ride the whole thing if you are camping. Will start getting cold at night past that, especially in points west.... even then, can be cold if you camp in Ohiopyle.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Does anybody know if they are working on fixing the washout near Brunswick? Or are they just letting that go until a later time...
They had a temporary bridge and a section of new path when I went through. I assume that's the washout you are talking about. The detour was no big thing, but the washout was pretty big.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
They had a temporary bridge and a section of new path when I went through. I assume that's the washout you are talking about. The detour was no big thing, but the washout was pretty big.

How did you detour? On the road? I rode along the train tracks. Dangerous and illegal.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Randomhead

I am not sure we are talking about the same washout. What I went on was obviously the result of some official construction. There was new trail and a very short plywood bridge. I rode it on June 1st. I think the washout was a bit west of the Harpers Ferry bridge, but I don't really remember.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7ed View Post
How did you detour? On the road? I rode along the train tracks. Dangerous and illegal.
Yes. That railroad line is very busy, and Brunswick is a crew change point. The whole area is actively patrolled and railroads generally arrest for trespassing first and ask questions later, if they ever get that far.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There's at least one where its far too big for a temporary bridge. I dont know what the detour is though. Wouldnt stop me from doing the trip though, I'm probably heading up for an overnight to the C&O next weekend.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Bike Guy

How much would a trip be biting off to do the 120 miles from Cumberland to H.F. In a day? Figuring 12-15 mph ...
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
How much would a trip be biting off to do the 120 miles from Cumberland to H.F. In a day? Figuring 12-15 mph ...
Depends on the trail conditions/mud....Significant portions of the towpath took a pretty big hit from the heavy rains/flooding in May/early June. If the detours are remedied and the trail gets cleaned up, your target is attainable in dry conditions. the wild card is that the trail conditions on the western end are highly variable with anything greater than a recent light shower...Under ideal conditions 15mph is about the maximum speed that you could plan on.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 PM

I should elaborate a bit on the maximum speed on the trail. The vast majority of the length of the towpath is wooded. On a sunny day (most of the summer0 the trail is in dappled sunlight and certain imperfections and obstacles (most of them ) are difficult to see. For hours on end the rhythm becomes..pedal pedal pedal BANG-root.....pedal pedal pedal BANG-rock...pedal pedal brake-pothole..etc....For me at any speed above 15 mph, I hit WAY more objects. On something like a full suspension MTB with plenty of rubber you could just ride over most of the imperfections, but on a bike with such capabilities I can't imagine sustaining anything like 15 mph for 6-7 hours.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM

I agree with El Chaba about the way roots and rocks will surprise you. 50mm (650b) slicks was really nice, but I still tried to avoid sticks and potholes (of which there are many) as they slowed me down. My buddy, though, who is taller than me and was rolling 700x50 rolled over most everything.

Pretty sure there are folks who have done the entire GAP + C&O in under 24 hours. I believe that technically there are rules about riding certain sections at night and there's definitely a posted speed limit on sections that would make that time impossible if one were following the rules. It's faster starting in Pitt than in DC.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-29-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I agree with El Chaba about the way roots and rocks will surprise you. 50mm (650b) slicks was really nice, but I still tried to avoid sticks and potholes (of which there are many) as they slowed me down. My buddy, though, who is taller than me and was rolling 700x50 rolled over most everything.
Sure as hell surprised me. I was running 700Cx42s. Before I could react to the root I hit, I was off the towpath and in the canal, having broken my shoulder on the way down.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

Pretty sure there are folks who have done the entire GAP + C&O in under 24 hours. I believe that technically there are rules about riding certain sections at night and there's definitely a posted speed limit on sections that would make that time impossible if one were following the rules. It's faster starting in Pitt than in DC.
Yep agreed,

A couple very accomplished racer friends did it in just under 24 hours from Pitt to DC with a broken frame and bike swap! :-) It's good to have friends close by who ride the same size bike and are free to drive to you with it!

I rode the C&O portion with just a small front load on my Gunnar touring bike with Conti Top Contact 38mm and blasted over plenty of stuff that could have thrown me to the ground. I feel lucky in that regard but the front load helped. I can see how that trail could ruin many people's day, especially less experienced riders.

Fast gravel bike and super light load (no camping) is how I would do it next time.

Great fun to ride that far on a path.