Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Thinking (Way Ahead) About a New Bike

This seems like a good winter topic.

So my Merlin Extralight was destroyed in a crash and I started to think about the replacement (It is winter...) I am leaning to get Ti again since I really liked the Merlin. What I know is that my budget doesn’t allow me to get a new custom one from builders/sellers like Spectrum/Bedford/Enign/No. 22, etc. And there are so many wonderful listing in the classified section. I figure that I could get a nice, used one here for much less than new. If I want the latest tech such as disc brakes, OS HT, etc. than it would be more difficult to get used.

Filtering my options:

1. Get a 5-10 years old Ti frame offered here or Craigslist. To do this I need to know my fit since my Merlin was a little too big but my fitter made it work. So my plan is to visit him when I am ready and get some pre-fit measurements. Once I acquire a new/used bike/frameset he can do the final fit for me. Getting a pre-fit is good for any options.

2. Worked with smaller builders. I talked to Blaze Cycles in the Philly Expo and I had a good exchange with Pierre. Concerns are that he is not well known and I haven’t seen a lot of his work here or elsewhere. Although his bikes are much cheaper than going with established builder, it is still a significant investment. And it would affect resale value if I ended up not liking the bike.

3. Get cheaper off the shelf. Something likes Lynskey’s sale specials. For example, they are selling a 2017 Lynskey Sportive complete bike with Ultegra for $3K. Or, go with bikesdirect’s Motocebane. I can get their Century Pro Ti Disc for $2,400. It comes with Ultegra R8000 Hydraulics.

4. Take a completely different path and get something like a Specialized Roubaix Disc or similar bike from other brands. I am not a fast rider and will never race, hence looking for endurance type bike/fit.

I don’t think I have a specific question, more like “what would you do?” But ultimately I have to decide on my own. I just thought that it is something fun to mull over on a Friday afternoon. Long range planning and all.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Administrator

there are SO many great used bikes floating around right now on here and ebay, it's mind boggling. so much so that it really does make buying a new bike at full cost seem bonkers, especially if you fit a fairly standard sized bike, which you do.

keep an eye out on ebay, set up some searches. depending on what your budget is, you should be able to get something very very nice on the used market.

moots, seven, serotta legend, pop up all the time.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Get cheaper off the shelf. Something likes Lynskey’s sale specials. ...[snip]...Or, go with bikesdirect’s Motocebane.
I have no first-hand experience with either of those brands, but based on what I've heard owners of those brands say that strikes me as two different ends of the spectrum (no pun intended). Or at least two brands that aren't very close together on that spectrum.

I'll admit it, I've never seen anything about Lynskeys that warrants the kind of accolades they receive from their fans. But folks love 'em and Mr. Lynskey has some seemingly respectable bona fides. He may not be in the same league as Kelly Bedford or Carl Strong or Kent Ericksen et al, but he doesn't come across as a hack. He's been building Ti frames a long time.

Conversely, bikesdirect...

So if those two frames are in remotely the same price range, I would think it's anything but a cointoss. Sounds more like a no-brainer.

But again, that's all based on second-hand anecdotes.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 PM

Carver Bikes

Davis knows what he's doing. Helps if you sorta know what you want:

http://carverbikes.com/frames/custom-titanium/
Old 11-17-2017, 04:41 PM

If I was committed to Ti, I would search for a used Moots or Eriksen. Having owned both Ti and steel, if I was looking for a frame I might prefer a steel frame but nailing the fit is first on the list.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Barely Hanging On

I think if budget is an issue, there's no reason to go custom unless you can't get a good fit on a stock bike. I'd say that once you've got the fit sorted, find a nice previously-enjoyed frame or bike that allows you to get a good fit and enjoy. Don't let not being fast affect what you get. Get what you will enjoy. I think most of us have better bikes than we are riders, but that's really not the point.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Have to say there are a lot of amazing bicycles that come up for sale on this forum. I was looking for a Trek Domane........Shazam!!.......one appears in my size, at an amazing price, all built up too!

If you know your size, maybe put up a WTB. Lots of folks who own lots of bikes don't post them for sale, but if they see someone is looking for one they may sell it.

Good luck in your search!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 PM

While I wouldn't argue against any of the options mentioned, I wouldn't dismiss the Motobecane titanium bikes.

The Motobecane titanium bikes are very good. I have a Le Champion Ti that I bought about 6 years ago. The Motobecane titanium frames are made in Taiwan by ORA Engineering, I understand that they OEM frames for many companies. The workmanship is excellent, every bit as good as the Lightspeed that I used to own.

I've been strongly considering that Motobecane Century Ti bike, myself. I'd love to run a nice set of 650B wheels in it. The component spec, geometry, and clearances are ideal for use as a 650B all roads bike. I'd swap out the bar, the stem, and the saddle, but that's typical. With a full Ultegra 8000 hydro group and 650b wheels it would be great for mixed surface rides!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM

I'm a big fan of used ti.

Do you still have your wrecked merlin? I'd be interested in buying the frame to practice anodizing.