Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM

I know that area well....

....but as a climber, not as a cyclist. Hell, I recognize the specific route that climber's on (and I think I know her!). Everything you write about that area is true: it's a magical place. That's a great ride report. There's a smell in the air at Mohonk and Minnesaska that's good for the soul. Thanks me for reminding me.

Now I just need to make time to get up there and ride.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Post Mod-ern

The woman climbing in that pic . . .

. . . looked pretty tentative. Might have been her first time up that route? There were plenty of other people there on this day. But get on the other roads, particularly southward toward Lake Awosting in the Minnewaska park, and there's hardly anybody there, especially on weekdays if you can get free to head up there.

ZZY, if you went in the actual hotel to fill up your bottles, then I'm not surprised they might not be thrilled. On their website they point out specifically in the day hike permit section that it does not include access to the mountain house hotel.

As to the fees, at Minnewaska I'm usually willing to pay the $10 per car fee because I feel it's worth it. Keep in mind that's a vehicle fee. If you want to ride or hike up the mountain to there, then go for it for free. Mohonk Preserve is $20, tbut he visitor center really impressed me and again, I felt it was worth it. But $26 at the Mountain House on a weekend just to park and walk around--AND no access inside the hotel for bathrooms or other services? Uh, no thanks. It comes across as snotty, which doesn't surprise me. The hotel is REALLY expensive.

If you don't want to ride up the mountain, download a map and look for the Jenny Lane parking area/trailhead about a mile west of the Minnewaska entrance. There's only room for about 6 cars, but it's free, not gated, and get there early and you're in. There are prominent gates on the lots at both Minnewaska Awosting and park HQ, and at West Trapps Lot and the visitor center for Mohonk. Attendants at both Mohonk locations told me they never close those gates, but that's my worry if I stay after dark to get sunset pics. Get back to the car and discover they've decided to lock the gate.

If anybody is wondering, I shot these with a Nikon D7100 with a chest harness so it's accessible if I stop suddenly. Cheap harness I bought years ago, but it works pretty well. I also wear a Camelbak Hawg pack, also quite old, that has room for my riding photo kit. So . . .

D7100 on my chest with 18-200mm
-28-300 (42-450mm equivalent for DX format camera) in pack
-105 2.8 (167mm equivalent) macro in pack
-Sigma 10-20 (15-30mm equivalent) in pack
-SB-800 flash in pack
-SC-17 remote cord in pack
-Tabletop tripod in pack
-wireless remote release, several neutral density filters, extra battery, etc in pack

This has worked out quite well for me. I have soft pouches for the items in the pack and having it all in a backpack isolates it way better from vibration than using rear saddlebags.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Post Mod-ern

A few more pics . . .

. . . from that area.

Laurel bloom in 2016:
https://goo.gl/photos/tqQ8i1Zc3TWZ2my46

Fall hike 2015:
https://goo.gl/photos/cdxirKAygupL1AnY8

Awosting Falls . . . Just such a cool place, especially if you go there off-hours or off-season when it's almost deserted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Awosting Falls 2016_5627t.jpg (83.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Just a note...At age 62, Minnewaska is free entry on weekdays. It's also groomed for XC skiing in the winter (as is Mohonk).
Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

What a fabulous ride report! I love gravel road riding more than any other and must plan a trip up here. I have always heard of "the Gunks" as a rock climbing area but did not know about the great bike riding possibilities as well. Thanks for the photos, Dave, and the trip info. Steve P we've got to organize a trip up this way! The gravel looks very well groomed, suitable even for a road bike with 25 or 28c tires.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Thanks for posting, flooded with great memories ...

Formerly a climbing bum who spent most of my 20's around the Gunks. In the early '80s we picked up those new-fangled mountain bikes in order to get to the Sky Top climbs (now closed to climbing) before others and at that time, there were no people riding and we could even ride the hiking trails on the back of the cliffs.

That climber is on "Horseman", a classic first multi-pitch outing for many people. First pitch leads out over a really nice roof and the horizontal holds are plentiful. A cold November day back then, I was walking under Horseman and heard a scream and loud bang and some dude cratered a few feet away. To our amazement, he got up holding his head. We had to rescue his belayer who had taken him off belay before he clipped into the belay anchor at the end of the first pitch and suffered severe rope burn in both hands. Turns out they had smoked a big fat one before heading up and the guy that fell got vertigo and lost balance. He only had a concussion according to the EMT who was nearby, wicked lucky.

Warren
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Post Mod-ern

I was thinking the sme thing . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
What a fabulous ride report! I love gravel road riding more than any other and must plan a trip up here. I have always heard of "the Gunks" as a rock climbing area but did not know about the great bike riding possibilities as well. Thanks for the photos, Dave, and the trip info. Steve P we've got to organize a trip up this way! The gravel looks very well groomed, suitable even for a road bike with 25 or 28c tires.
. . . for spring. A day spent gravel grinding, with apres-ride refreshments at Mountain Brauhaus at the bottom. of the hill or at Gilded Otter brewpub in New Paltz would be a great forum group ride.

BBD
Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Post Mod-ern

Sky Top . . .

. . . is up by the tower?

As I rode along there, more than a few of the folks coming/going to the routes seemed to be carrying foam mattresses, about the size of a single bed mattress or smaller. Any idea what those are for? Just relaxing between climbs? Seems like they would be way too small to serve as anything more than a very rudimentary safety aid.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRider View Post
Formerly a climbing bum who spent most of my 20's around the Gunks. In the early '80s we picked up those new-fangled mountain bikes in order to get to the Sky Top climbs (now closed to climbing) before others and at that time, there were no people riding and we could even ride the hiking trails on the back of the cliffs.

That climber is on "Horseman", a classic first multi-pitch outing for many people. First pitch leads out over a really nice roof and the horizontal holds are plentiful. A cold November day back then, I was walking under Horseman and heard a scream and loud bang and some dude cratered a few feet away. To our amazement, he got up holding his head. We had to rescue his belayer who had taken him off belay before he clipped into the belay anchor at the end of the first pitch and suffered severe rope burn in both hands. Turns out they had smoked a big fat one before heading up and the guy that fell got vertigo and lost balance. He only had a concussion according to the EMT who was nearby, wicked lucky.

Warren
Old 11-17-2017, 12:33 PM

How about a little group ride up there, maybe in December?.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Not a NYer, but my uncle ran a rather spiffy (over 800 acres) standard bred race horse farm less than 15 miles from there, in Wallkill, NY. During grade school and high school, I would be sent up in the summer to spend some time there. Sadly, I wasn't biking then, but did spend some time hiking an bouldering on Mohonk property, and swimming in Lake Minnewaska (always cool, to downright cold, even in summer).

FWIW, there used to be a competing resort to Mohonk on Minnewaska property, run by the Mohonk owner's twin brother. More here: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/03/ny...ar-battle.html

If you are around mid-summer, cruise on over to Sams Point with a small bucket for a nice haul of free, wild blueberries.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM

After a ride, if you want some great micro-brew, stop by Rough Cut Brewing Co.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Not a NYer, but my uncle ran a rather spiffy (over 800 acres) standard bred race horse farm less than 15 miles from there, in Wallkill, NY.
Blue Chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
If you are around mid-summer, cruise on over to Sams Point with a small bucket for a nice haul of free, wild blueberries.
Part of Minnewaska State Park now, so while the huckleberries are free, it'll cost you to park
Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM

I'm up for a mini Dirtphalt part 2...Before the snow takes over
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM
bykhed

I've been a paying member of Mohonk Preserve for some years now.

I generally either ride down the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail from Kingston or Rosendale, up the "Larson Loop" (mountain bike), which will eventually kick you up to Spring Farm Trailhead at Mohonk Preserve. A couple of times I've parked in New Paltz and ridden up onto the property via the Gatehouse which is a recent acquisition.

The Mountain House is managed as a different property, and while I/we try to keep a low profile, there have never been any issues.

Minnewaska is great too!

I ski and snowshoe at Mohonk in the winter, and they even allow fat bikes on the groomed trails.

Ride on.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Blue Chip?

Part of Minnewaska State Park now, so while the huckleberries are free, it'll cost you to park
Yes, Blue Chip Farms. They used to have a second receiving farm, closer to the Gunks, but that was sold off years ago. When the original principal passed, my uncle received a share of the business. About that time, the tax advantages of such a diversion were being phased out, and the business became much more difficult. Not too long after, in 1998, my uncle retired. He passed 10 years later.

They used to do FBI special driver training on the abandoned airfield that is now the Swangunk Grasslands National Preserve too. My cousins were able to learn a thing or two over there. The Google satellite view shows that the almost 2 mile long runway that was once there is now either buried or removed.

Not just huckleberries, but blueberries too. Totally worth the parking fee.

Good memories.