Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 03-11-2021, 12:54 AM

I thought so - I couldn’t sort out why the lugs were different .

All beauties!
Old 03-11-2021, 05:02 PM

Truly a piece of art. Speechless.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:21 PM

just amazing.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:36 AM

Really amazing craftsmanship!
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 AM

I was hoping to get this build wrapped up today but non-work commitments will keep me away from the bench today so it will have to wait until Monday. So here's a simple head tube shot of a fillet brazed Terraplane made for rim brakes and larger tires.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1854.jpg (61.4 KB, 272 views)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:22 PM

Dave - I'm wondering if you ever sculpt metal for sculpture's sake? Is that something that interests you or you do? I ask in part because I listen to a fun podcast called 'cut the craft' and the motivations for folks to become and stay a 'craftsperson' are varied and interesting (to me).

Happy Friday.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I was hoping to get this build wrapped up today but non-work commitments will keep me away from the bench today so it will have to wait until Monday. So here's a simple head tube shot of a fillet brazed Terraplane made for rim brakes and larger tires.

dave
If I ever have a gunshot would, I would like it repaired like that....
Old 03-20-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoB View Post
Dave - I'm wondering if you ever sculpt metal for sculpture's sake? Is that something that interests you or you do? I ask in part because I listen to a fun podcast called 'cut the craft' and the motivations for folks to become and stay a 'craftsperson' are varied and interesting (to me).

Happy Friday.
I have....thanks for asking. I studied jewelry making and metal smithing in college and very much enjoyed making things that had the very simple goal of being pretty. That said there was something missing for me. I feel strongly compelled to design and make things that 'do something' for lack of a better term. So much of my work verged on the silly and it performed a function. I've made small table pieces as well as free standing garden pieces of kinetic sculpture for the garden.

While I was working at Serotta I was being courted by a jewelry factory in Vermont that wanted me to design and make tooling for them. The knowledge of how stuff is made is vital so that the tool can be designed to get the job done. I think it would have been a really fun job but the pay and living situation in that area were tough and kept me from making the leap.

In the end I'm as much a designer of functional things as I am a 'sculptor' and the work needs to do something for me to get excited about spending the time to make it. I hope that makes sense.

dave
Old 03-21-2021, 08:58 AM

I think you have delineated the difference between craft and art. Craft has a functional use; art does not have to. Many amongst us are glad you choose craft!

Quote:
I have....thanks for asking. I studied jewelry making and metal smithing in college and very much enjoyed making things that had the very simple goal of being pretty. That said there was something missing for me. I feel strongly compelled to design and make things that 'do something' for lack of a better term. So much of my work verged on the silly and it performed a function. I've made small table pieces as well as free standing garden pieces of kinetic sculpture for the garden.

While I was working at Serotta I was being courted by a jewelry factory in Vermont that wanted me to design and make tooling for them. The knowledge of how stuff is made is vital so that the tool can be designed to get the job done. I think it would have been a really fun job but the pay and living situation in that area were tough and kept me from making the leap.

In the end I'm as much a designer of functional things as I am a 'sculptor' and the work needs to do something for me to get excited about spending the time to make it. I hope that makes sense.

dave
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the response! It doesn't surprise me to hear that you studied jewelry and metal smithing in college.

If you like fine furniture, you may be familiar with the work of Pete Galbert who is a well-known chairmaker and tool designer who runs his own shop. Your work reminds me of each other's - clean lines, minimal yet recognizable design, highly functional, and timeless.

I think we're in the middle of the golden age for American Arts & Crafts.

Quote:

dave
Old Today, 03:25 AM

Is this fork crown option still available?

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 6.22.42 pm.jpg