Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 05:38 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just to confirm: SRAM Red BB30 PF30 crankset usage

I have a brand new SRAM Red BB30 PF30 11 speed crankset - short spindle.

Just want to confirm that I can't use it on a bike with regular threaded shell 68mm - even with conversion kit

All my research turned out negative so far.

Old 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Correct, the spindle is too short to clear the BB cups and frame BB shell.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

Just want to confirm that I can't use it on a bike with regular threaded shell 68mm - even with conversion kit

I used a wheels manufacturing threadfit 30 BB on mine without any issues. One of the ones that threads into the other half and is still internal on the shell.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

I used a wheels manufacturing threadfit 30 BB on mine without any issues. One of the ones that threads into the other half and is still inside the BB shell.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Is the spindle removable on that crank? If so you could do it with the right length spindle and conversion BB.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:39 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I used a wheels manufacturing threadfit 30 BB on mine without any issues. One of the ones that threads into the other half and is still inside the BB shell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Is the spindle removable on that crank? If so you could do it with the right length spindle and conversion BB.
AFAIK, the short spindle ones aren't removable and won't work (i also have a wheels MFG bb30 threaded BB on my bike), you need the quarq style ones with the long spindle, these won't be long enough to engage the DS spider.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
You can do this but only with the longer (PF30) spindle.

The shorter (BB30) wont fit. I have both of these styles of cranksets on my bikes, there is no way the shorter one will fit a BSA shell.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:15 AM

Is the photo of the actual crankset? If so, then I don't believe it is the short spindle version. Two reasons why:

1) The inner chainrings in the photo is offset inboard of the bottom of the spindle - on short spindle cranks, the inner chainring is offset outboard of the bottom of the spindle.

2) The crankset has a removable spider, and I believe all SRAM removable spindle BB30 cranks use long spindles.

In any case, the easiest way to tell the difference is to measure the spindle. A short BB30 spindle is about 87mm long, whereas a long BB30 spindle is about 105mm long.

A short spindle BB30 crankset can only be fit to a 68mm threaded BB shell if the BB shell uses T47 threads. A BSA threaded shell is too small in diameter to fit bearings around a 30mm spindle inside the shell, and a short BB30 spindle requires too narrow a bearing stance to be able to use external bearings.

A long spindle BB30 crankset can use a wider bearing stance, so it can be fit to BSA shell with an external bearing bottom bracket.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Is the photo of the actual crankset? If so, then I don't believe it is the short spindle version.
Its also marked 'PF30'. I missed that one, so you're right here.

I really like the older sram 30mm spindle cranks, they're light, lots of chainring options and can be had fairly cheap.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Its also marked 'PF30'. I missed that one, so you're right here.
That's not a sure-fire indication. Even short spindle SRAM 30mm can be marked "PF30".

Old 02-28-2024, 07:21 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thank you everyone for your responses and clarifications.

Sorry for the confusion, the initial picture I included was from the internet, not the actual crankset that I have at hand. Below is the actual:

Old 02-28-2024, 07:28 PM

Measuring the spindle is still the best route, but the photo of the SRAM Red cranks above appear to be short spindle version. If it indeed has a short spindle, then there is no way to install it in a BSA (or Italian) threaded BB shell. No conversion kit is possilbe, as there is simply no space for the bearings.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:43 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thank you Mark pal, it is the short spindle. I am gonna see if I can z-saw it out and weld a longer one on....

just kiddin'.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:54 AM

If you're patient you might find a left crankarm somewhere-folks change them out for Stages. I just gave one away...
Keep an eye out on ebay.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
If you're patient you might find a left crankarm somewhere-folks change them out for Stages. I just gave one away...
Keep an eye out on ebay.
A left crank with a longer spindle would allow an external bottom bracket to be used. But the problem with that approach is that it would shift the chainline outboard by about 11mm (as well as shifting the right pedal outboard by about 11mm). A standard double derailleur wouldn't be able to swing out far enough to reach the large chainring, and even if it did, front shifting would likely be poor. And then there's the issue of extreme cross-chaining angles in the large sprockets.