Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Integrated dynamo lighting rear

Working on a custom all-road bike using a 12mm dynamo hub up front. Wiring will go within the fork ran up to a fork-crown mounted front light.

For a bike with no fenders, and using a large saddlebag, what are clean options for dynamo lighting and wiring for the rear?

I like Ocean Air Cycles exit through the bottom bracket shell ran up the fenders, but this will be ran 95% of the time without fenders. Thinking about rack-mounted, but don't ever run panniers so the rack would be mostly a light mount haha

I like the seat tube mounted lights from Compass, but it wouldn't work with a saddlebag.
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...ass-taillight/

Would you worry about a light like the one from compass if mounted on a seat stay/chain stay, for a bike that gets dropped in dirt every once in a while?

Thanks all!

Last edited by CMiller; 11-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM

I have them mounted next to the dropout on 2 of my chapmans

http://www.chapmancycles.com/2013/11/le-grand-porteur/
Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 PM

Oh wow that's sick! Any worries tipping it over? Other than messing that incredible paint. And which light are you using?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Nevermind, just saw the close-up that looks study and super well-protected. I'm wondering if I can just mount it higher to clear the disc

Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Most bikes like this employ a hole in the DT not far away from the HT/DT junction. It's usually a reinforced hole much like a water bottle boss. Sometimes it's actually in the lug.

You can coil the wire or leave slack so that it has enough for any position of the fork. The wire can then go to the BB and up the ST or into a chain stay. How much the ST tail light is protected depends on the size of the frame and the orientation of the seat stays.

This shows the fork exit and DT entry on my frame.

IMG_0162 by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-21-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM
ergottWheels

If you are coming from higher up maybe what I did would help.

I have mine coming out the top tube just in front of the seat tube. If you are mounting at the stop of the stay it should work.

I don't like the idea of my rear light mounted too low to the ground. It's easier to identify the source as a cyclist where mine is and also the size of the light (Toplight).

Old 11-21-2017, 12:54 PM

Hey Eric, where is the headlight mounted? Wondering how the wiring does with handlebars rotated.

Last edited by CMiller; 11-21-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM
ergottWheels

Under Garmin mount. The wire is bundled with brake hose so it's long enough for full rotation of the bars and protected under wrap (electrical tape) with it.

I wish the front brake hose and dyno wire didn't go to two different sides of wheel!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:30 PM

On my Surly Crosscheck I went internal by removing the screw that holds on the downtime cable stop and going through there, through the BB, through the chainstay and out of the vent hole by the dropout. The B&M Secura light is mounted on the seatstay, mid way between the dropout and brake. This location works perfect. It allows 360 degree visibility if you could that the bright red light shines on the polished rim. No bags/tires/brakes to block the light.

The Secura light isn’t nearly as elegant as the Supernova though, but I like the reflector/big visible light.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
Nevermind, just saw the close-up that looks study and super well-protected. I'm wondering if I can just mount it higher to clear the disc

I think it would be fine a little higher, it is protected by the stay so not a big risk of damage. I have been using it every day for a few years and no problems. I guess it is less visible from the left side but in reality it is really bright and plenty visible IMHO.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:17 AM

If you’re running a carrarice style seat bag, You can run it up the seat tube and mount on your brooks.