Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
They r not trying to sell ebikes to your girlfriend
At 6,000 Euros and up, the target market is clearly those MAMILs who can't hang in the group anymore for one reason or another.

But the marketing can't say that.

Pinarello needs a better marketing team, basically.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
"You mean you're not part of the cycling Twittersphere? What's wrong with you?"

Nothing is wrong with me, I'm not in to social media at all, love to talk to real people tho :P
In case you haven't figured this out by now, my tongue was firmly in between my cheek. If you were offended, I apologize, and vow to never do that again.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
All y'all need to ride more. Leads to less time to be offended about 'stuff.'

'Stuff' that's meaningless to your daily lives anyway. How does whatever sparked that pic in the OP affect the way YOU treat those around you?

M
Not if you're a women... cause the more you try to "get out and ride" you'll be constantly hit in the face with being sexualized, or mansplained, or judged, or dismissed, or.. or..

and how that affects ME is that I'm tired of apologizing to, or shaking my head, or rolling my eyes with with the vast majority of girls who participate in sports with me for how the industry, and the shop, and the brands, and the communities treat them. Or going to the bike/sports store with them as the proxy sales person because the actual sales person will spend 80% of the time being a jerk and only 20% acutally providing service.

When you go into a bike shop and ask to see saddles, why don't you immediately get shown a pink tractor seat for a cruiser bike? Why do you get the luxury of a direct and to-the-point question like "what kind of riding do you do and what are you looking for in a saddle?"

Why do you wayfind in the LBS with pictures of elite athletes on road bikes, or mtb or bmx etc. VS photo of girl bent over with too large road bike, or girl with no shirt on covering chest with inner tubes, or girl with legs spread holding carbon wheel?

Or why is a female athletic performance judged by: "yeah, but is she hot?" when Dan Martin isn't or Nairo Quintana isn't, or Chris Froome isn't.

Do you not get it that being able to say "this being outraged about everything is getting old" is a luxury that not everyone has. That because it's meaningless to YOUR daily life doesn't mean it's meaningless.

Last edited by rain dogs; 11-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i think people are being too hard on pinarello.

it was a marketing ad designed to get people's attention and give them an idea of who might be the target audience.

the counter point is that a quick browsing of pinarello's website shows plenty of women whos performance speaks for itself. this points to the company as not being sexist, women and men seem to get equal press on their website...

+1. Much ado about nothing. I know quite a few female cyclists and none of them waste their time on the internet whining about ads that some men and a maybe a few women find offensive. Methinks the perpetually offended need to stop whining and ride more.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Not if you're a women... cause the more you try to "get out and ride" you'll be constantly hit in the face with being sexualized, or mansplained, or judged, or dismissed, or.. or..

and how that affects ME is that I'm tired of apologizing to, or shaking my head, or rolling my eyes with with the vast majority of girls who participate in sports with me for how the industry, and the shop, and the brands, and the communities treat them. Or going to the bike/sports store with them as the proxy sales person because the actual sales person will spend 80% of the time being a jerk and only 20% acutally providing service.

When you go into a bike shop and ask to see saddles, why don't you immediately get shown a pink tractor seat for a cruiser bike? Why do you get the luxury of a direct and to-the-point question like "what kind of riding do you do and what are you looking for in a saddle?"

Why do you wayfind in the LBS with pictures of elite athletes on road bikes, or mtb or bmx etc. VS photo of girl bent over with too large road bike, or girl with no shirt on covering chest with inner tubes, or girl with legs spread holding carbon wheel?

Or why is a female athletic performance judged by: "yeah, but is she hot?" when Dan Martin isn't or Nairo Quintana isn't, or Chris Froome isn't.

Do you not get it that being able to say "this being outraged about everything is getting old" is a luxury that not everyone has. That because it's meaningless to YOUR daily life doesn't mean it's meaningless.
counterpoint:

i don't see this type of behavior at all in my daily life. i regularly ride with women who i see get the same treatment and respect that us guys do. The shop that we meet at to start rides generally has an equal mix of men and women (of very varied race too...) working there, and if you walk into the shop looking for whatever - you're just as likely to get an avid cyclist female as a male to help you do whatever you are there for.

additionally, most of the actual stuff i buy that is not online, i do so at Campmor or REI. Both are staffed with normal people from both sexes and a wide mix of backgrounds. it's just not realistic that a woman would walk into either place looking for a saddle, or a tent, or a sleeping bag and not be taken seriously.

granted, i'm obviously not a woman, but i see women treated respectfully and equally for the most part based on my casual observation of such.

i also havent seen those type of sexist posters you mention in years at sporting goods stores of any kind. the auto body shop and construction trailers - yes, but not sporting goods or bike shops.

just pointing out my personal observations.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM

deleted

Last edited by JStonebarger; 11-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM

You want to edit that post?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Thanks for interjecting politics into this. I'm all for outing sexual harassers and predators whether they be in Hollywood, the Media, or in elected office, regardless of their political party. The Pinnarello ad is harmless unlike those clowns and actually identifies the bikes intended market.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i also havent seen those type of sexist posters you mention in years at sporting goods stores of any kind. the auto body shop and construction trailers - yes, but not sporting goods or bike shops.
They're becoming far less frequent there as well. There's a growing population of women in auto repair and construction.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM

a good commentary from cyclingtips Ella on this since I don't think any women here have chimed in yet.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/pina...-pinarello-ad/
Old 11-21-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
You want to edit that post?
My mistake. I had momentarily forgotten why I gave up on this forum.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
+1. Much ado about nothing. I know quite a few female cyclists and none of them waste their time on the internet whining about ads that some men and a maybe a few women find offensive. Methinks the perpetually offended need to stop whining and ride more.
I became aware of the ad via a professional cyclist who rides more and better than all of us put together. The rest of your commentary says a lot about where you stand.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
As far as the ageist part goes, are we going to deny that cyclist get slower with age?
My legs spin the same speed.

But my gear is smaller, and all of the landmarks are farther apart than they used to be.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Rather than spout on about who has the right to be offended, would it not be better to ask the group who the ad is targeting, aka women. To me, the ad is lazy and sexist, but it's not up to me to decide. It's always those in the who aren't in the group being targeted going on about how sensitive everyone is...
Old 11-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
+1 million. Could not agree more.

People getting offended and outraged by everything possible has gotten soooo old.
People getting annoyed because other people think we ought to be moving beyond ageist/sexist/racist stereotypes is sooooo old too.

Equally old is people not even thinking that there's a problem that ought to be addressed, because their particular ox isn't being gored at the moment.

There were any number of other ways to write that ad- "make it possible for your slower friend to go on rides with you" would have been totally fine. But no. They decided that since all women are slower than their boyfriends, this would be the perfect way to sell an ebike.

I know any number of (non-pro) women who could ride me off of their wheels while not even breathing hard- and I'd need an ebike to keep up with them. I'm guessing a few other people here do as well.

*That's* the point.