Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Need to replace a road bike :-(

My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.

I’m not too worried about replacing the off road bikes but I do need to hunt down a solid replacement for the Serotta. I’ll miss that one ☹. I’m insured for current replacement cost so I’d guess I have about a $9,500 budget for the road bike.

Although I have been racing/riding bikes all my life; over the past 7-10 years I have not kept up with the bike industry and I no longer know who may be the go-to builders for a bike like a Serotta. I’m not going to race again so comfort is just a little more important than performance. Seven years ago I would have just ran out to get a Parlee but that technology has been around for a while and while I’m sure they still make great bikes I wonder what else is out there.

I’d want to stay away from things like Specialized, Giant and Trek they just don’t touch my soul. For mainstream bikes I could see a Colnago or BMC but I’m much more likely to pick something like Alchemy for carbon or Mosaic for Ti. Although in my area the Mosaic dealer isn’t a shop I’d do business with… I was bummed about that!

I do have a custom IF Crown Jewel from about 10 years ago so my Ti itch isn’t as itchy as my carbon itch. Although, a Ti gravel bike may replace both the cross and MT Bike.

Anyway I’m just looking for information as to what builders out there today build solid carbon or Ti bikes and can actually deliver within say 3 months.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:22 PM

No.22

I am having a no22 drifter built right now. The guys who were building at Serotta when it went under and formed Saratoga Frameworks for a bit are now building bikes in Johnstown Ny.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Eriksen builds a really wonderful "stoner" (Hank Barlow term), gravel, explorer bike. I think the turn around time is within your timeframe.

Eriksen (now owned by Brad Bingham) bikes are quite nice. They are thoughtfully designed and Brad does impeccable work welding and fabricating.

https://kenteriksen.com/
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM

If you're looking for Ti and loved your Serotta, I'd give the guys at No22 a shout. When Serotta closed up shop they hired the team that was making the Ti bikes and they've been turning out some fantastic product. Turnaround for custom is 8-10 weeks and starting in January they'll be shipping stock sizes within 2 weeks.

For carbon, Parlee makes an awesome bike and has reasonable lead times.. I also wouldn't sleep on Trek, the Emonda SLR is one of the best carbon bikes I've ridden and is very much in the style of a Euro grand tour bike versus something like the Cannondale SuperSix.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM

Glad you have replacement value insurance!

My best friend's son had his bike stolen and he was inconsolable. He worked at a bike shop and had put together a very nice bike, at moderate cost.

Then I pointed out to his dad that replacement value might soften the blow.

Kid ended up with two really nice bikes to replace the old one! He wasn't so unhappy!

For a bike, I'd take a look at the Colnago C59 or C60...if you want a great bike *and* something that has some soul!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks guys this is exactly the info I'm looking for...
Old 11-20-2017, 01:32 PM

What size bike?

What size bike do you ride?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:37 PM

If I were buying a new carbon bike this would be at the top of my list: alliedcycleworks.com

Made in the US and beautifully designed. Personally I'd go with the All Road Alfa but I've talked with a couple of people on the normal Alfa and they adore the bike.

For Ti + gravel personally I'd be looking at Mosaic or Firefly, they seem to hit all the right notes.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear that and I hope you can recover the Ottrott (and the other stuff), they are amazing examples of fine craftsmanship. Had mine fit me better I'd still have it.

That said, I too would not dismiss Trek. Suggest you test ride an Emonda or a Domane.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguff View Post
My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.

I’m not too worried about replacing the off road bikes but I do need to hunt down a solid replacement for the Serotta. I’ll miss that one ☹. I’m insured for current replacement cost so I’d guess I have about a $9,500 budget for the road bike.

Although I have been racing/riding bikes all my life; over the past 7-10 years I have not kept up with the bike industry and I no longer know who may be the go-to builders for a bike like a Serotta. I’m not going to race again so comfort is just a little more important than performance. Seven years ago I would have just ran out to get a Parlee but that technology has been around for a while and while I’m sure they still make great bikes I wonder what else is out there.

I’d want to stay away from things like Specialized, Giant and Trek they just don’t touch my soul. For mainstream bikes I could see a Colnago or BMC but I’m much more likely to pick something like Alchemy for carbon or Mosaic for Ti. Although in my area the Mosaic dealer isn’t a shop I’d do business with… I was bummed about that!

I do have a custom IF Crown Jewel from about 10 years ago so my Ti itch isn’t as itchy as my carbon itch. Although, a Ti gravel bike may replace both the cross and MT Bike.

Anyway I’m just looking for information as to what builders out there today build solid carbon or Ti bikes and can actually deliver within say 3 months.
What size are you? the SF_Bay CL is a goldmine most of the time, so you should be able to at least grab something to get you out on the road while you wait for a custom to get done..

Sorry for your loss. Can't believe scumbags are already back to their tricks in your area post-fires - or maybe that's made folks more desperate.

I'll second No. 22. Hard to feel bad about supporting this: https://youtu.be/1vwCFMYAEW8

That said, Steve Potts is just up the road from you and does amazing work, especially in the genre you're looking for - and his prices are right in line with any of the top custom builders.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Sorry to hear that and I hope you can recover the Ottrott (and the other stuff), they are amazing examples of fine craftsmanship. Had mine fit me better I'd still have it.

That said, I too would not dismiss Trek. Suggest you test ride an Emonda or a Domane.
The thing about Trek I just can not get over is the association with Lance Armstrong and doping in cycling. Although he obviously wasn't the only one, he was such a blatant liar and cheat that any remembrance of him (like the Trek brand) makes me nauseous.

That said Trek was the first nice bike I bought back in the early 1980s.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
What size bike do you ride?
Pretty standard...

54 CC
54.5 to 55 Top tube depending on frame set back
Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM

Carbon that's not from the big guys?

Calfee Manta Pro.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

if i wanted non off the peg carbon, i'd go crumpton.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
if i wanted non off the peg carbon, i'd go crumpton.
There’s one in 54 that was on the forum last week no?