Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Well, "sway" may not be the best term. The seatpost actually deflects to the rear, so maybe deflect is the proper term. The Roubaix on the other hand, while having a small component of rearward deflection, has a greater component of vertical deflection (like a true shock absorber).

Both do a good job, although some may like one method better than the other.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:52 AM

IME my Domane's seatpost does not move as I pedal if my fit is correct. If the fit is off and your pedal stroke is compromised, it will bob.

But it definitely does "sag" like a shock when you put your weight on it. That is what I was referring to in my previous comment. I basically have to take that into account when setting the bike up just like I do on my MTB.

The front end on these bikes is really excellent but it's not going to do anything for your hands unless your fit is right. Your hands hurting IME has less to do with tires and bumps in the road.. your hands will hurt on a super smooth road with 4" fat bike tires if the fit is wrong and you are having to hold your upper body up with your hands.

Other than the slight annoyance with having to compensate the fit for the moving seat mast this bike is my favorite I've had. I never had a Legend ST but I had a Concours and the Domane rides better than that. I test rode a Seven Axiom SL last year for 50+ miles as well and the Domane is better than that too IMO. More comfortable and more responsive.

The ISO speed decoupler's crowning achievement is on washboard and/or pavement that has been scarified in preparation for repaving. It just about completely erases the vibration of that scarified pavement. Unreal.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The ISO speed decoupler's crowning achievement is on washboard and/or pavement that has been scarified in preparation for repaving. It just about completely erases the vibration of that scarified pavement. Unreal.
Sounds a bit like my (now gone) Ottrott ST. After not riding it for a while I would get on and immediately think the rear tire was either under-inflated or going down.

I'm quite happy with the ride of my Emonda SL and have been looking to try a Domane.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Same thinking on the Ottrott I had. Was hoping it would be more compliant/comfortable and it turned out to be stiffer. Wonderful for climbing/descending & handling, but not for all day comfortable. I foresee a Domane in my future.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM

I run pretty low tire pressures on 26s. Something in the range of 85-90 in the rear and 65-70 in the front, but the Domane does kind of make it feel like the rear tire is low... not in a way that makes you less confident.

It is an amazing descending bike due to the low BB and other geometry. Feels like it's on rails.