Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM

Cross vs Gravel bike question

I am toying with the idea of being a new Gravel bike, I doubt I will ever race CX.
I am seeing 2 bikes from the same company with pretty much the same components but slightly different geo, but the CX bike is about $300 cheaper then the gravel bike.
My question is if I buy the CX bike for grave/road riding will and save the $300 will I regret that down the road?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Highly doubt it. The gravel bike might be like half a degree slacker. But overall I would imagine the differences are very small. Though riding a cyclocross bike on the road for extended periods probably wouldnt be tons of fun,
Old 11-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Few things:

Buy a bike that you can afford, that fits well, ride it a lot, and you probably won't regret it.

The two bikes - which maker and which models? The $300 difference has got to be components.

Riding a cyclocross bike on the road for extended periods - with slicks - is awesome.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

What are the BB drops? I hate high BBs on the road or gravel. Hell, I've done rooty, rutty, rocky singletrack on my gravel bike with 75mm drop and 27.5x2.1 tires and I didn't crash. If the bike will seldom see that kind of terrain then I'd definitely recommend the more roadish geometry. Even for a $300 premium.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Few things:

The two bikes - which maker and which models? The $300 difference has got to be components.

Actually the CX bike has better components, 105 on the CX vs Tiagra on the Gravel.
Price difference is a bit less then I originally quoted, it's actually $240 cheaper but it has 105 11 speed which I believe is a big upgrade from Tiagra 10.

Both are Fuji, 2017 bikes they are the Jari 1.7 vs the Cross 1.7.

The Jari (gravel) has a lower BB which I assume makes it more stable for descending? but will I notice that?.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Actually the CX bike has better components, 105 on the CX vs Tiagra on the Gravel.
Price difference is a bit less then I originally quoted, it's actually $240 cheaper but it has 105 11 speed which I believe is a big upgrade from Tiagra 10.

Both are Fuji, 2017 bikes they are the Jari 1.7 vs the Cross 1.7.

The Jari (gravel) has a lower BB which I assume makes it more stable for descending? but will I notice that?.
Another big thing to consider is tire clearance. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Jari gravel bike can fit 650x2.1 - not sure about the clearance on the cx bike. That would be the deciding factor for me if the other geo figures are really close.

More BB drop does feel better to me for a road/gravel bike. How much are we talking though? Some cx bikes have 65mm drop and some gravel bikes are close to 80mm. That would be very noticeable.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
What are the BB drops? I hate high BBs on the road or gravel. Hell, I've done rooty, rutty, rocky singletrack on my gravel bike with 75mm drop and 27.5x2.1 tires and I didn't crash. If the bike will seldom see that kind of terrain then I'd definitely recommend the more roadish geometry. Even for a $300 premium.
So it looks like the BB drop on the CX bike is 64 and and the Gravel is 67
Old 11-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
you wont notice 3mm...buy the cx bike.

ive never owned a "gravel bike" and yet manage to put in just under 100mi/week on my cx bike, on the road...without even noticing im not on a road bike.

i rode a road bike for 2 weeks this year...one trip to italy...every other ride ive done beyond that was on a cx bike on roads both paved or dirt (or a mtb).

gravel bikes are largely marketing BS, especially one with a 67 bb-drop (thats still a cx bike in my book).

in closing - "cx bikes" were gravel bikes long before gravel bikes existed...and before them, ROAD bikes were gravel bikes (the horror!)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaumann View Post
you wont notice 3mm...buy the cx bike.

Ive never owned a "gravel bike" and yet manage to put in just under 100mi/week on my cx bike, on the road...without even noticing im not on a road bike.

I rode a road bike for 2 weeks this year...one trip to italy...every other ride ive done beyond that was on a cx bike on roads both paved or dirt (or a mtb).

Gravel bikes are largely marketing bs, especially one with a 67 bb-drop (thats still a cx bike in my book).

In closing - "cx bikes" were gravel bikes long before gravel bikes existed...and before them, road bikes were gravel bikes (the horror!)
+1
Old 11-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
It's not just BB drop. What is the tire spec on each? Even though the BB drop is 3mm more on the gravel bike, if the tires are more than 3mm taller (after appropriate tire sag at "proper" inflation) then the BB will actually be higher.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Redbasso2

Need only one

I picked up a Fuji Aluminum cross bike last year, entry level. That suits me fine for bombing down the local Rails to Trails path and Canal Tow Path that are by my house in Princeton, NJ. I think a true Gravel bike makes sense if you are doing dedicated Gravel events that are combos of trail and asphalt. A true gravel bike also works as simply one fast bike for all conditions. With multiple road bikes in my arsenal, I didn't need that...and besides those nice gravel ride events seem to be more in the midwest and West Coast.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbasso2 View Post
I picked up a Fuji Aluminum cross bike last year, entry level. That suits me fine for bombing down the local Rails to Trails path and Canal Tow Path that are by my house in Princeton, NJ. I think a true Gravel bike makes sense if you are doing dedicated Gravel events that are combos of trail and asphalt. A true gravel bike also works as simply one fast bike for all conditions. With multiple road bikes in my arsenal, I didn't need that...and besides those nice gravel ride events seem to be more in the midwest and West Coast.
Aside from the tire clearance difference and mounts for touring equipment there is literally nothing that the "gravel" bike in question can do that the CX bike to which it is being compared cannot. After all, they have the same wheelbase, same head angle, very similar trail, very similar stack/reach, very similar bb drop, etc. They're almost the same bike.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:42 PM

FWIW, I'm riding a Fuji Cross 2.0 and have no trouble at all spending time on gravel.

Like was previously said, the main diff you'll see is that "gravel" bikes clear larger tires. I think the max clearance on mine is 42mm actual. The MXP 33's mounted now measure out to 35mm. YMMV.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:44 PM

One other difference that someone (not on the forum) pointed out to me is that the cross bike will have 42/46 vs a 50/32 which might be more suited to the road/gravel riding.
Makes it more confusing.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
One other difference that someone (not on the forum) pointed out to me is that the cross bike will have 42/46 vs a 50/32 which might be more suited to the road/gravel riding.
Makes it more confusing.
sorry...which bikes come with those very unorthodox, very silly chainring combos?