Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM
n - 1

For a commuter, would a cheap Surly or Soma steel cross fork suffice?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Lewis, I hear you and have had your problem. Having sold you a frame in the past, I know we're the same size. Having attempted all sorts of solutions, including VBrakes, pad tow, etc, I found the best solution has been to use a fork with the cable hanger in the fork crown. A Whisky 7 canti fork has the hole you need, and is made with "beefier" carbon than the Ritchey. My Moots fork also has a hole in the crown. With the hole in the fork crown, you can mount the crown cable hanger as Angry suggests. It shortens the cable distance and the eliminates the shudder effect.

Some forks are better than others. ENVE is very good and is the best, non drilled canti fork (I've found). Reynolds and Ritchey's were bad. AlphaQs were modest, but not as good as ENVE. The crown solution is the only one that's worked consistently. I've considered a "mullet" set up, but never tried it. I have a BNIB Ritchey WCS disc fork with straight 1 1/8" steerer I'd sell for a reasonable price if you want to keep the system all-Ritchey and try the mullet setup.

Last edited by mistermo; 11-21-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Just a comment: my Hampsten has Alpha Q Cross Fork and Paul Neo Retro canti brake with hanger mounted on headset and it never shudders.I'm not smart enough to tell you what to do. :-)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
For a commuter, would a cheap Surly or Soma steel cross fork suffice?
It's only a commuter because I don't want to ride my Russ Denny Masi in the dark. This is my gravel/CX race bike.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Lewis, I hear you and have had your problem. Having sold you a frame in the past, I know we're the same size. Having attempted all sorts of solutions, including VBrakes, pad tow, etc, I found the best solution has been to use a fork with the cable hanger in the fork crown. A Whisky 7 canti fork has the hole you need, and is made with "beefier" carbon than the Ritchey. My Moots fork also has a hole in the crown. With the hole in the fork crown, you can mount the crown cable hanger as Angry suggests. It shortens the cable distance and the eliminates the shudder effect.

Some forks are better than others. ENVE is very good and is the best, non drilled canti fork (I've found). Reynolds and Ritchey's were bad. AlphaQs were modest, but not as good as ENVE. The crown solution is the only one that's worked consistently. I've considered a "mullet" set up, but never tried it. I have a BNIB Ritchey WCS disc fork with straight 1 1/8" steerer I'd sell for a reasonable price if you want to keep the system all-Ritchey and try the mullet setup.
Thanks for the info on the Whiskey. A crown hanger is definitely one of the best solutions. Sven Nys spec'ed one on his Trek the last year he rode cantis. I don't know why they don't spec them more often.

Last edited by Lewis Moon; 11-21-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
My Moots fork also has a hole in the crown. With the hole in the fork crown, you can mount the crown cable hanger as Angry suggests. It shortens the cable distance and the eliminates the shudder effect.

Some forks are better than others. ENVE is very good and is the best, non drilled canti fork (I've found).
I agree with both of these. I have a Moots with the crown mounted hanger and no shudder. and an Enve with a Paul Funky Monkey hanger and no shudder. granted, I have a 125mm head tube (plus external headset) though...

also I'm using Avid Shorty Ultimates with both setups, fwiw.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Isn't the Swiss Cross head tube 1-1/8"? If so I think Ritchey and Whisky are the only current manufacturers making a decent carbon canti fork that would fit. The Whisky would look great on that bike.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I agree with both of these. I have a Moots with the crown mounted hanger and no shudder. and an Enve with a Paul Funky Monkey hanger and no shudder. granted, I have a 125mm head tube (plus external headset) though...

also I'm using Avid Shorty Ultimates with both setups, fwiw.
ASUs have the spring in front of the brake, which makes it stiffer. My go to cantis.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Isn't the Swiss Cross head tube 1-1/8"? If so I think Ritchey and Whisky are the only current manufacturers making a decent carbon canti fork that would fit. The Whisky would look great on that bike.
This is true for both canti and disc, assuming mullet. Both Lewis and I ride X Large frames and the effect is exaggerated on larger frames. Steel forks are OK, but carbon forks have always caused me problems. I suppose I could lose weight, but that's not working either.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM
doomsday device

Fork mount hanger and try the green Swiss stops.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel View Post
Fork mount hanger and try the green Swiss stops.
Why the green pads?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:57 PM

I've got a Ritchey cross comp fork with a drilled crown for sale here. never any chatter using the crown mounted stop. it is as new.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211856
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Thanks for the info on the Whiskey. A crown hanger is definitely one of the best solutions. Sven Nys spec'ed one on his Trek the last year he rode cantis. I don't know why they don't spec them more often.
Actually, that fork comes that way from Trek. My Boone has the same setup

As an alternative: go disc in the front. Better braking in the nasties and no fork shudder!

M
Old 11-21-2017, 03:42 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
‘Mullet’ it with a v brake front. Some shorty ones from Tektro are only about $20.
What he said. Mini-v brake all the things.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM

Mini-Vs

Crown-mounted hanger solved the problem on my steel-forked Double Cross (with a 215mm head tube). Could never get great performance out of the cantis (FSA) I had no matter how I arranged the straddle cable. Eventually I sold it, picked up a cross bike with mini-V's and I'm in heaven.